Exercising & Dieting with PMS

Do you miss working out because of your menstrual cycle? Do you binge eat on poor choices because of your cravings? Women are much more active than a few decades ago and many are less likely to let their cycle affect their lives. Exercise is usually the last thing you will feel like doing when you are dealing with PMS but it seems that the release of serotonin and other 'good' chemicals which occur through exercise will actually help you with the symptoms of PMS. You may have to go lighter or easier but you still should try to get a moderate workout in every few days during your PMS and cycle.

Diet is another factor which is affected by the cravings for salt and or sugars. These items including caffeine may actually worsen your symptoms even though you want them so badly. Trying to lessen and avoid these foods is your first step but you can also help your PMS by eating the right foods! One way to go is to indulge in high magnesium foods which help relax the muscles in turn helping with the effects of PMS cramps. Foods such as pumpkin, sesame and sunflower seeds, greens such as spinach, broccoli, kelp and swiss chard, legumes such as soy, black and navy beans are very high in magnesium. Chinook and baked halibut are also great choices higher in magnesium and a great protein choice. You can make up a couple weeks worth of great dishes based solely on these foods listed.

I personally take extra magnesium, up to 1000mg per day pre, during and post cycle. In some cases magnesium will also prevent migraines due to the muscle relaxant effects which are the main reason I use it. I will get migraines every month and used to until I discovered this solution.

Water is essential for helping you through your menstruation but many women avoid it due to the bloat they get. This worsens your PMS symptoms. You will not bloat more if you drink more water and most women bloat regardless but there are some great herbal teas which help control water gains during your cycle. These teas are normally called PMS or diuretic teas and include natural ingredients such as black cohosh and dandelion flower and/or root.

You can eat dandelion leaves for a similar effect and if you look very closely, those spring salad mixes have some in there! Steaming them is also a great way to eat them and is very healthy. I like to make them in minestrone type soups. So please do keep up with drinking a liter or 2 of water per day during PMS and this will help decrease symptoms. If you are concerned about water gain you can consider some dandelion greens or a PMS tea.

Sleep is a simple thing which we are told in general to get 7-8 hours of per day for overall health and well being. Well this cannot be truer when you are on your cycle. You need rest along with that mild exercise and moderate diet which is filled with magnesium sources. These combined with proper hydration should help against the discomfort and pains caused by PMS.

By Linda Cusmano

http://www.shapefit.com/exercising-dieting-pms.html

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Do you miss working out because of your menstrual cycle? Do you binge eat on poor choices because of your cravings? Women are much more active than a few decades ago and many are less likely to let their cycle affect their lives. Exercise is usually the last thing you will feel like doing when you are dealing with PMS but it seems that the release of serotonin and other 'good' chemicals which occur through exercise will actually help you with the symptoms of PMS. You may have to go lighter or easier but you still should try to get a moderate workout in every few days during your PMS and cycle.

Diet is another factor which is affected by the cravings for salt and or sugars. These items including caffeine may actually worsen your symptoms even though you want them so badly. Trying to lessen and avoid these foods is your first step but you can also help your PMS by eating the right foods! One way to go is to indulge in high magnesium foods which help relax the muscles in turn helping with the effects of PMS cramps. Foods such as pumpkin, sesame and sunflower seeds, greens such as spinach, broccoli, kelp and swiss chard, legumes such as soy, black and navy beans are very high in magnesium. Chinook and baked halibut are also great choices higher in magnesium and a great protein choice. You can make up a couple weeks worth of great dishes based solely on these foods listed.

I personally take extra magnesium, up to 1000mg per day pre, during and post cycle. In some cases magnesium will also prevent migraines due to the muscle relaxant effects which are the main reason I use it. I will get migraines every month and used to until I discovered this solution.

Water is essential for helping you through your menstruation but many women avoid it due to the bloat they get. This worsens your PMS symptoms. You will not bloat more if you drink more water and most women bloat regardless but there are some great herbal teas which help control water gains during your cycle. These teas are normally called PMS or diuretic teas and include natural ingredients such as black cohosh and dandelion flower and/or root.

You can eat dandelion leaves for a similar effect and if you look very closely, those spring salad mixes have some in there! Steaming them is also a great way to eat them and is very healthy. I like to make them in minestrone type soups. So please do keep up with drinking a liter or 2 of water per day during PMS and this will help decrease symptoms. If you are concerned about water gain you can consider some dandelion greens or a PMS tea.

Sleep is a simple thing which we are told in general to get 7-8 hours of per day for overall health and well being. Well this cannot be truer when you are on your cycle. You need rest along with that mild exercise and moderate diet which is filled with magnesium sources. These combined with proper hydration should help against the discomfort and pains caused by PMS.

By Linda Cusmano

http://www.shapefit.com/exercising-dieting-pms.html
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Mydol, Mydol, Mydol - how do I love thee!!! (Be careful though... it has caffine if that bothers you).

I've heard that exercise helps PMS?!?!?

Me before Mydol = :explode: :grumble: :mad: :sad: :angry: :cry:

Me about a half hour after Mydol = :flowerforyou: :tongue: :love: :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    PMS... the older I get the more often it seems to erupt :explode:

Hopefully menopause will take over & I won't get my period anymore - I certainly don't need it for anything :wink:

Any whoo.. thanks for the advice!
  • Healthier_Me
    Very welcome :bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Thanks for the info Joanna I am going to be 51 Menopause where are you?? I've been a faithful participant for 381/2 years now please release me and let me go!!
  • Healthier_Me
    You are very welcome :bigsmile:

• 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Mydol, Mydol, Mydol - how do I love thee!!! (Be careful though... it has caffine if that bothers you).

I've heard that exercise helps PMS?!?!?

Me before Mydol = :explode: :grumble: :mad: :sad: :angry: :cry:

Me about a half hour after Mydol = :flowerforyou: :tongue: :love: :bigsmile: :laugh:

TOO FUNNY!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kaiyacali
    kaiyacali Posts: 175
    I've started taking Mydol BEFORE I drink adult beverages. Works wonders the next day. :love:
  • DBranchaud
    DBranchaud Posts: 827 Member
    I still walk my dogs but the first day I get flowy all I can do is curl up in bed with my heating pad( I named him Steven) , after that I will eat an entire packet of frozen spinich. And one packet equals about 6 servings. I stuff it in the microwave and mix it with some frozen corn then I'm usually fine.

Do to operations and menopause, gender and age I'm the only fertile female in the house. MOOOhahahahahahhaha You make fun of me now Niece but wait 4 years mooohahahahahahahaha
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Me? I just issue extra detentions at school. Appears to do the trick for me... :wink:

Those who know me know to avoid me when I'm in a detention-givin' mood....
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Hmmmm......maybe that's why the health food store was out of dandelion root tea on Friday. Great post! Thanks!
  • pbkfit70
    pbkfit70 Posts: 38
    Don't get the cramps or the pain, but the cravings... particularly for sweet things and coke (diet)!!!!
    Would magnesium help?
  • Healthier_Me
    Very welcome mkeithley.

I don't know if magnesium would help with the cravings but I found an article:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/cravings-be-gone

• skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Wow....this was just the post I needed to read this morning!!! Thank you Joanna!!! Now it's time for me to get in some exercise!!! Here's to hoping it'll make me feel better!!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Very welcome SD!
    Hope you feel better soon.

• pbkfit70
    pbkfit70 Posts: 38
    OK I accept the craving, but my will is stronger than the temptation, WALK ON BY

:laugh: