What is the point of working out?

Options
Seriously? On the days I don't work out, I eat my 1200 cal. On the days I do, I will burn about 350 cal at the gym, be really HUNGRY afterwards, like today, and I ate about 2000 for the day. So 2000-350=1650 total cal for the day. I know I need to work out to get fit, so I don't get "skinny fat" but what is the point, on the days I work out I have this ravenous appetite I otherwise would not have had? Would I really being service to myself and my weight loss? Or disservice? If someone who could explain to me, who knows a lot about excersise and nutrtion, please, I would really like to know.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Just as a general point, exercise is good for maintaining bone density as you age, keeping your heart muscle in shape, encouraging healthy lungs, keeping your blood circulation and blood pressure and heart rate at good levels, and also increases "happy chemicals" in your brain to stave off depression.

Even if not done for weight loss, exercise is vital to keeping a healthy body that will last you a (longer) lifetime.:flowerforyou:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Maybe on the days you work out, you're that much hungrier because you need more protein. When do you work out? If it's in the morning and you're not eating before you work out, maybe you need to do so, so that you aren't SO hungry when you get done.

How do you know you're burning 350 calories? That sounds like a relatively light work out (a 30ish minute walk, or about the same on a bike) to be so hungry afterward. Do you have an HRM, are you certain your calories burned count is accurate? Are you drinking enough water?
  • jellymedina
    Options
    I know, the importance of weight training is to build muscle, which helps burn fat/metabolism even at rest, but it seems like the cardio is what makes me what to make me eat like a maniac. And I feel so guilty afterwards, then it's like, what good was that workout for then?
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    On vacation this summer there was this older lady who was really skinny but all of her skin was sagging from every inch of her body because she had NO MUSCLE TONE. She most likely maintained her weight through unhealthy dieting alone. You need muscle to keep you healthy plus as Phoenix-rising pointed out, it is really good for your bone density.

On work out days eat foods that keep you fuller longer. High protien and High fiber. Maybe you aren't eating the foods your body needs after a work out so it is trying to tell you something.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I know, the importance of weight training is to build muscle, which helps burn fat/metabolism even at rest, but it seems like the cardio is what makes me what to make me eat like a maniac. And I feel so guilty afterwards, then it's like, what good was that workout for then?

That is so strange because the cardio actually helps curb my appetite, where weight training makes me absolutely ravenous! Why can't there just be instructions that work for everyone??? :huh:
  • jellymedina
    Options
    Maybe on the days you work out, you're that much hungrier because you need more protein. When do you work out? If it's in the morning and you're not eating before you work out, maybe you need to do so, so that you aren't SO hungry when you get done.

How do you know you're burning 350 calories? That sounds like a relatively light work out (a 30ish minute walk, or about the same on a bike) to be so hungry afterward. Do you have an HRM, are you certain your calories burned count is accurate? Are you drinking enough water?

Eliptial machine: 30 min. it says 300 cal. I can't do anymore or else I feel really dizzy. I think for me it is a lot, I get really sweaty for the 30 min. i do cardio.
    Lifting weights and what not: 30-40 min. of course I don't really know how much I'm burning, but I estimate about 50 cal i'm not really working too hard, and am not sweating when i do this.

Unfortuantely the only time I have to work out is the morning. About 2 hours before I workout I have a bowl of cereal, bananna, and yogurt. So I dont work out on a full stomach. By the time I'm finished, I'm starving. It will only be like 11am but I am sooo ready for lunch already. After working out i do drink water, but i will be hungry for the rest of the day, nothing satisfies me. UGH it's weird. I'm hungry right now even, it's only 7:30pm! And just ate an hour ago! So, any advice? LOL.
  • jellymedina
    Options
    On vacation this summer there was this older lady who was really skinny but all of her skin was sagging from every inch of her body because she had NO MUSCLE TONE. She most likely maintained her weight through unhealthy dieting alone. You need muscle to keep you healthy plus as Phoenix-rising pointed out, it is really good for your bone density.

On work out days eat foods that keep you fuller longer. High protien and High fiber. Maybe you aren't eating the foods your body needs after a work out so it is trying to tell you something.

Hmm that makes sense. I could eat high fiber high protein on the days I work out to curb my appetite.

I know what you're saying about the lady, I wouldn't want to be skinny fat like that. Yuck. Whats the point of being skinny if you're going to look all saggy?
  • Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ Amy and Phoenix,
    exercise is a good thing for the internal body(helps to keep systems operating the way they're supposed to) as well as the external outer appearance of your muscles (ie: a 150lb non exercising person probably appears to be less fit than a 150lb person who incorporate exercise into their daily life). The first benefit is obviously the more important one.
    That being said, everybody is different and this getting fit is a journey. My body and metabolism are different than everybody elses. I have to get information, try it long enough to be able to detect change or no change , then make adjustments. Lot's of thing factor into it. I'm 47 years old and used to weigh 255lbs - right now i'm 168. What a miracle ~ i've felt like you fell on many a day. Don't quit.:flowerforyou: Some questions to consider:
    How old are you?
    What's your current fitness level?
    How frequently do you eat and what?* This was really impt for me!! 1200 cals of junk(processed 100 cal packs and pre=processed ,"fat free" stuff vs healthy and fresh :laugh: ) isn't going to adequately nourish my exercising body. I have to eat good stuff, a healthy balance between protein, fat and carbs and watch my salt intake.
    Drink water!!
    There's probably a bunch people who are more educated on this but this should be a start in the right direction. If you don't eat before a w/o - try a banana or a teaspoon or two of peanut butter for energy.
    I wish you luck on you journey and keep trying!

Janet:heart:
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options

Why do you feel guilty after you feed the machine? Do you feel guilty about putting gas in your car? :smile:

When you exercise you make yourself fitter/leaner/stronger/healthier. You also burn up some calories, 'cause every machine needs fuel to run. Don't feel guilty about feeding the beast. You did the work, you need the fuel. Enjoy it!

You've lost 9 pounds - obviously you're doing something right. How do you look? How do you feel? I'll bet you can do things now that you couldn't do in the past. Stronger,,, more stamina? We don't just do this to get little... :smile:
  • jellymedina
    Options
    What's your current fitness level? I was put on bedrest for my pregnancy. I am now 3 months post partum. I used to be really fit and trim before, but now not having done anything in a long time, I am back to square one. I could run on the eliptical for an hour straight before I got pregnant, now I feel zapped at 20 min., but i try to make it to 30!!

How frequently do you eat and what?* I have cut out a lot of processed foods. I do have a 100 cal pack once a day when i need a sweet treat. But i eat a lot of whole foods, like beans, fruit, veggies, yogurt which i love, and i love breakfast cereals. sometimes for breakfast and sometimes for a late night snack. I don't eat a lot of meat though, sometimes i try to make a stir fry, but i do think i need more protein.

Drink water!! probably not as much as i should..lol

[/quote]

Thank you for your suggestions..LOL
  • cc_campbell81
    Options

Eliptial machine: 30 min. it says 300 cal. I can't do anymore or else I feel really dizzy. I think for me it is a lot, I get really sweaty for the 30 min. i do cardio.
    Lifting weights and what not: 30-40 min. of course I don't really know how much I'm burning, but I estimate about 50 cal i'm not really working too hard, and am not sweating when i do this.

I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor to compare to the machines. Some gyms don't calibrate their machines often enough. Do you do cardio before you lift weights? If so you are probably burning more calories than 50. When I do cardio first my calorie burn is increased as opposed to weights then cardio. You said you feel dizzy after 30 minutes. That could be a sign of dehydration. You should drink water before, during, and after your workout. I wouldn't use sweat as a measure of calories burned. This morning I ran over 4 miles and wasn't very sweaty but burned over 500 calories. Hope this helps.
    Also I see you recently had a baby. If you are breast feeding that can burn around 500 calories a day. I usually snack within an hour before my work out then have breakfast after the work out. Be patient it takes time to get back in shape after having a baby. Maybe try another type of cardio. I had a baby about a year and a half ago and still always struggle on the elyptical.

PS Cardio is good for your heart.
  • jellymedina
    Options

Why do you feel guilty after you feed the machine? Do you feel guilty about putting gas in your car? :smile:

When you exercise you make yourself fitter/leaner/stronger/healthier. You also burn up some calories, 'cause every machine needs fuel to run. Don't feel guilty about feeding the beast. You did the work, you need the fuel. Enjoy it!

You've lost 9 pounds - obviously you're doing something right. How do you look? How do you feel? I'll bet you can do things now that you couldn't do in the past. Stronger,,, more stamina? We don't just do this to get little... :smile:

Today was a particularly bad day. After working out, I was soo hungry I couldnt wait the 10 min to drive home i made a beeline to Charleys subs and got a chicken sub and a strawberry lemonade. Luckily i didnt order bacon cheddar fries, but i was thinking about it though.

I guess I felt guilty, I was so hungry i couldnt wait to get home i needed that instant gratification now. Normally I am able to make it home and I have soup and a half sandwich or something way better. Yes I lost 9 pounds. About a pound a week/avg so not bad I guess. I'm starting to be able to zip up prepregnancy pants now, even if my rolls hang over the top, I'm just happy they zip. LOL.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    This is a pretty funny question. Its kinda sad that ALOT of people think they can just merely get by with dieting. I mean, its really scary. I don't know about you guys....but i'd rather kill myself in the gym everyday and see little progress....then starve myself or accept some extreme-diet routine. Its just wild that people would rather compromise when it comes to nutrition, before putting in some hard work now and then.

This statement isn't necessarily directed at the original poster, but kinda at the masses of people struggling with their health and chose to starve or just "get by" with eating less. Baffles my mind.
  • jellymedina
    Options

I would suggest getting a heart rate monitor to compare to the machines. Some gyms don't calibrate their machines often enough. Do you do cardio before you lift weights? If so you are probably burning more calories than 50. When I do cardio first my calorie burn is increased as opposed to weights then cardio. You said you feel dizzy after 30 minutes. That could be a sign of dehydration. You should drink water before, during, and after your workout. I wouldn't use sweat as a measure of calories burned. This morning I ran over 4 miles and wasn't very sweaty but burned over 500 calories. Hope this helps.
    Also I see you recently had a baby. If you are breast feeding that can burn around 500 calories a day. I usually snack within an hour before my work out then have breakfast after the work out. Be patient it takes time to get back in shape after having a baby. Maybe try another type of cardio. I had a baby about a year and a half ago and still always struggle on the elyptical.

Yes, I do cardio before strength training. Does it really make a difference?

I know exclusive breastfeeding can burn up to 500 cal a day, but I don't exclusively breastfeed, I supplement my baby with formula, so I don't think I am burning that many calories.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    ,,,what good was that workout for then?

,,,Don't feel guilty about feeding the beast. You did the work, you need the fuel. Enjoy it!
    After working out, I was soo hungry I couldnt wait the 10 min to drive home i made a beeline to Charleys subs and got a chicken sub and a strawberry lemonade.

I was so hungry i couldnt wait to get home ,,,

Sounds like the sign of a good workout to me. When I finish up I want to be starved and stoked and pumped and buzzed. Sometimes after a great weights routine I'm standing there dripping sweat and pulsating and wide crazy-eyed and humming like a radar antenna and my wife looks at me like she suspects I'm not right in the head,,, and at that moment I'm probably not (entirely,,, :laugh: ).

It's supposed to be an intense experience - that's how it works. Congratulation - welcome to the fraternity - the small group of people who know what this feels like. It's *%&in' kewl.

<<Good job skipping the lard-fries BTW. A can o'tuna would make a great sidedish with that though.>>
  • jellymedina
    Options
    This is a pretty funny question. Its kinda sad that ALOT of people think they can just merely get by with dieting. I mean, its really scary. I don't know about you guys....but i'd rather kill myself in the gym everyday and see little progress....then starve myself or accept some extreme-diet routine. Its just wild that people would rather compromise when it comes to nutrition, before putting in some hard work now and then.

This statement isn't necessarily directed at the original poster, but kinda at the masses of people struggling with their health and chose to starve or just "get by" with eating less. Baffles my mind.

People who are skinny but don't excersise will have fat around their organs like a fat person would. I don't want that for myself.

I know I need some suggestions to better manage food cravings on the days I work out. Because when I don't, I hardly have any cravings at all.
  • Talieowl
    Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You really need to eat something light 15 to 45 minutes before you work out. That could be a couple of egg whites and a whole grain cracker or something similar--around 100 to 150 calories. Drink water BEFORE your workout and during, especially if you are getting dizzy. Then, make sure you have a healthy fiber-rich snack that also contains protein. Plan for the fact that you are going to be hungry and can't wait to get home to snack. Don't give yourself the option/need to stop by the sub shop (my weakness when I don't plan is Starbucks) by keeping a box of granola or nut bars (check the calories/sugar content because all are not equal) in the car. Or pack dried fruit and nuts in a snack bag that you have in your gym bag. Nuts are great because they give you fiber and protein, and the dried fruit gives you an instant, healthier, sugar hit.

So much of losing weight is planning. On weeks I sit down to plan my meals AND my snacks, I do much better than the weeks I decide I'm just going to wing it. Those are the weeks I wait too long to eat and then fall into old patterns of reaching for calorie-dense foods like cheese or white carbs rather than fiber dense foods like an apple, a pear, or nuts and dried fruit.

Good luck!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I imagine its more about what and how you are eating.....small pre and post workout meals that are high protein and have some complex carbs might help.

Also, just a thought...about 90 percent of the time when we feel "hungry" we're actually dehydrated.

Are you drinking enough water? Especially since you're also breast feeding. I always end my work outs with a great big glass of water, before I eat anything.

One more thought to research...if you're breast feeding, and working out, 1200-1300 calories is probably not enough! You may just actually *be* hungry and need to adjust your calories.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options

Yes, I do cardio before strength training. Does it really make a difference?

I know exclusive breastfeeding can burn up to 500 cal a day, but I don't exclusively breastfeed, I supplement my baby with formula, so I don't think I am burning that many calories.

According to the heart rate monitor it does make a big difference. Your body burns more calories than normal for a little while after doing cardio. I definately recommend trying a heart rate monitor just to see what your numbers are. If nothing else it motivates me to push a litlte harder when I can see the numbers I am burning right there on my wrist. For example if I see I am at 350 calories I will try to make it to 400.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anyone suggest having a protein shake:

One Scoop
    One Banana
    8 0z. Water

Walla!