Borderline Personailty Disorder??

Options
I need to know if anyone has tips on dealing with people that have it? Help Please!!

Replies

• junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It manifests itself differently in people so it's hard to give general tips on dealing with someone struggling with it.
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    Patients is all i can come up with. Congrats on your lose so far
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I recommend buying or checking out 'Stop Walking on Eggshells'.

Also, 'Dealing with a Borderline Parent'.

Both are very informative...and if you can get whomever it is that you believe to be borderline to read them...they can be helpful.

Borderlines are rarely the product of a normal home...and having a borderline parent is the norm.
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends with this and it very different dealing with them individually. What are some specific questions? It is a very hard disorder to cope with, for the person and their family and friends.
  • pattybattin
    Options
    My daughter has BPD and is Bi-Polar. It is a difficult journey. I am honest with her. We have made a lot of progress. Many times I just allow her to be angry. I did also read the book "Walking on Eggshells" it helped. Also tons of patience and support. I love her and accept her as she is and she appreciates that from me. Good luck.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You've categorized someone by their diagnosis and then used the term 'dealing with' to describe your future interactions with them.

Get away, get away now, your attitude is going to affect how you view this person and also how this person views you, and it's very negative.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    My daughter has this, and she did have a pretty normal upbringing. It is a hard thing to deal with. What are some of the things you are dealing with? It would be easier to help if I had some specifics
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I recommend buying or checking out 'Stop Walking on Eggshells'.

Also, 'Dealing with a Borderline Parent'.

Both are very informative...and if you can get whomever it is that you believe to be borderline to read them...they can be helpful.

Borderlines are rarely the product of a normal home...and having a borderline parent is the norm.

^^^^This. Both very good books. Self care is very important as well, whatever that looks like for you. Good luck.
  • morgynsmama
    Options
    This person swings from horrible anger when things don't go their way, to laughing and joking an hour or so later. Threats, blame, guilt.
    Its a mess
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Has there been a formal diagnosis? And on top of that multiple opinions? I have been diagnosed as bi-polar, severe depression and even BPD. After an inpatient stay a wonderful doctor looked at me and said ' has anyone ever told you you have a large neck?' I was completely confused. After years of therapy and medications I was none of those things, it was my stinking thyroid. A few trips to an endocrinologist fixed everything.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Has there been a formal diagnosis? And on top of that multiple opinions? I have been diagnosed as bi-polar, severe depression and even BPD. After an inpatient stay a wonderful doctor looked at me and said ' has anyone ever told you you have a large neck?' I was completely confused. After years of therapy and medications I was none of those things, it was my stinking thyroid. A few trips to an endocrinologist fixed everything.
    wow! How stressful. I'm glad you were able to get things figured out.