Hello I am new, and I wish to lose weight faster.

Options
Carolfp
Carolfp Posts: 42 Member
Hello :) My name is Carol and I am from New Zealand
I used to weight 69.0kgs but since I joined the gym in March I have (hopefully if my weight machine is not broken) gone down to 64.0kgs

I go gym 6 days a week while doing Cardio/Strength Training
But I believe that with all of this hard effort I should be way skinnier right now..

I do diet... no wait.. wouldn't call it a diet. I eat healthy now, :) no sodas, or sweets, or fatty food
And I have been doing it for months
I do struggle
But what could I be doing wrong? Or is this pace normal?
There is a lady that goes to my gym... she worked out for 8 weeks (we were the same weight) and went down to 64kgs in 8 weeks, which is only two months.

Truthfully, I work out hard. I am exhausted.. do I keep doing this?
Can I change anything?
I had bought diet pills, but something in me said I should just work out by my means,no artificialness. Unless anyone suggest me trying it?

Thank you all very much
I hope somebody can give me a little advice.

-Carol

Replies

• turtlexiii
    turtlexiii Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There are a few things.

1. are you eating ENOUGH? If you are working out hard, you need fuel to recover, and thats calories. If you dont eat enough, your body thinks its starving, so it hordes every calorie

2. DO NOT compare yourself to other people! She may have a different metabolism than you. Or other health concerns.

3. Are you eating "healthy" foods. I may stay within my calorie goal most days, but I eat a lot of processed garbage, and I know that hinders me. Also we need all the nutrients, and they work together so we can be our most efficient. We need some healthy fats to break down the fiber and nutrients in vegetables.

4. Breakfast!!! Eat regularly and often. Keep the fire of your metabolism fueled so it keeps working.

5. Water- drink a lot!

6. Protein for recovery of muscles

7. sleep. if you dont get enough you store fat easier. and your muscles dont recover well. then you get cranky and stress eat (or at least I do.)

8. are you "smaller"? A pound of muscle still weighs a pound. but it is more dense, so it takes up less space on your body than a pound of fat. so your weight may not change, but your size and shape do. Thats why body measurements are important too.

9. Do you FEEL better??? Are you stronger? Have more endurance? Dont get out of breath doing daily tasks? Then who cares what the scale says!!!! As long as you feel better and are in better shape, then you are on the right track!!! Focus more on health and all the benefits that go with it, and less on the scale.

(Now, to go take my own advice, and get some sleep)
  • turtlexiii
    turtlexiii Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    They also say a "safe" rate of weight loss is 1 pound a week. I dont know pound to kg conversion, but it sounds like you are on the right track. we all want to lose weight fast, but if you lose if fast you dont learn the real "rules" of how to eat right and form good habits, that will last you a life time, so you dont go up and down in weight for the rest of your life.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hi Carol, there is lots of great advice above, so I'll just add one thing.
    What weight are you aiming for? Depending on your height you are quite possibly already at a healthy weight. If this is the case you might like to concentrate more on building stronger muscles which will change how you look more than losing a few more kg.
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    What weight are you aiming for? Depending on your height you are quite possibly already at a healthy weight. If this is the case you might like to concentrate more on building stronger muscles which will change how you look more than losing a few more kg.
    ^^this^^
  • spokaloo
    spokaloo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would also like to lose faster. Right now based on my goal of 132 - MFP has me at a deficit of 750 cals per day... quite frankly... I am hungry all the time. I eat every 2-3 hours. Just small meals. I know I need to get more sleep so perhaps that is it..... or I need to accept losing just 1 lb a week and deal with it! Not easy for me to do though!!! I want instant gratification :) as most of us do!
  • Carolfp
    Options
    Thank you very much,
    but I am attempting to eat under 1200 calories a day (which is becoming quite stressing) and yes ^^ I eat breakkie everyday now, (i didnt before).

I believe I am following all of the rules :3 but results are quite slow, I must add that I have lost 23cm since I joined gym.
    Truthfully, I am aiming to 57kgs
    is that unrealistic?

*sigh* I also have kinda of a bubble bum bum that just wont seem to go away, everything else is shrinking! lol. OH and my arms, they are also still the same.

Thanks all.
  • Carolfp
    Options
    I would also like to lose faster. Right now based on my goal of 132 - MFP has me at a deficit of 750 cals per day... quite frankly... I am hungry all the time. I eat every 2-3 hours. Just small meals. I know I need to get more sleep so perhaps that is it..... or I need to accept losing just 1 lb a week and deal with it! Not easy for me to do though!!! I want instant gratification :) as most of us do!

What I know from my gym trainer telling me is that if you starve you gain weight
    but i know exactly how you feel, gosh if there was like a miracle weight loss thingy ma bobby...

working out everyday makes you feel more fit, but not seeing results fast makes you so very depressed it's hard to kick start the next day,
  • Carolfp
    Options

I am doing strength training to build muscle
    legs and arms

but i haven't noticed much change in cms in those areas.
    I have done this for 4 months now.
  • Pebble321
    Options
    You know what... there is a miracle thingamebobby to make you lose weight.... hold on, here comes a secret.......

1. Eat the right amout for your body (not too much, not too little - 1200 is probably too little for many people)
    2. Exercise regularly and build in rest days to allow your body to heal and recover.
    3. Keep doing this for life.

I know, I know, it's boring as batsh*t but it really does work!

Carol, you really don't need to be eating UNDER 1200. You should probably even be eating more to stay healthy. You might lose weight more slowly but if you get stronger and look leaner then that is going to make you feel so much better.
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much,
    but I am attempting to eat under 1200 calories a day (which is becoming quite stressing) and yes ^^ I eat breakkie everyday now, (i didnt before).

I believe I am following all of the rules :3 but results are quite slow, I must add that I have lost 23cm since I joined gym.
    is that unrealistic?

*sigh* I also have kinda of a bubble bum bum that just wont seem to go away, everything else is shrinking! lol. OH and my arms, they are also still the same.

Thanks all.

If it stresses you, up your calories. Stress makes your body produce a chemical called cortisol which can make you plateau or even gain weight.
  • Carolfp
    Options
    You know what... there is a miracle thingamebobby to make you lose weight.... hold on, here comes a secret.......

1. Eat the right amout for your body (not too much, not too little - 1200 is probably too little for many people)
    2. Exercise regularly and build in rest days to allow your body to heal and recover.
    3. Keep doing this for life.

I know, I know, it's boring as batsh*t but it really does work!

Carol, you really don't need to be eating UNDER 1200. You should probably even be eating more to stay healthy. You might lose weight more slowly but if you get stronger and look leaner then that is going to make you feel so much better.

I will have a look at that, But I am glad I don't feel hungry and i think my tummy shrinked.
    I hope that maybe by the end of the year I will see some intense results!
    eeep I hope.
    Thank you for the advice
  • Carolfp
    Options
    Thank you very much,

is that unrealistic?

Thanks all.

If it stresses you, up your calories. Stress makes your body produce a chemical called cortisol which can make you plateau or even gain weight.

yeah I heard that somewhere too... but I started counting calories since I joined myfitnesspal
    If I go past the limit i freak out and feel bad >.<
  • BHRussell
    BHRussell Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    R u eating enough. Minimum of 1200 cal a day. Maybe you have hypothiroidism check with Dr. if you haven't simple blood work can tell you. I know I had a problem losing weight with eatting right and exercise. Then a coworker told me to eat all I wanted of veggies fruit and lean meat. No sweets, pasta no rice, reduced fat, no soda no bread of anykind for 2 weeks. Strict. Then bring in whole grain pasta rice, bread. slowly. I started to lose and pretty fast but not unhealthy fast. Try it if you can and see if that works. Make sure you are eatting enough and go to the Dr. see if that helps you.:happy:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    What is your height? Are you SUPPOSED to be 60 KG for your height? Also, obviously you are close to your goal range since you are within 4 kg of your goal. As you near your goal, it is harder to lose weight than if lets say you were 30-40 KG too large. Fast is not always better... Just relax and you will get there. Make sure you eat enough ... Sounds like you are getting into extreme levels of exercise to try to force your weight. Slow and steady should do the trick. Best wishes on achieving your goal...
  • Carolfp
    Options
    R u eating enough. Minimum of 1200 cal a day. Maybe you have hypothiroidism check with Dr. if you haven't simple blood work can tell you. I know I had a problem losing weight with eatting right and exercise. Then a coworker told me to eat all I wanted of veggies fruit and lean meat. No sweets, pasta no rice, reduced fat, no soda no bread of anykind for 2 weeks. Strict. Then bring in whole grain pasta rice, bread. slowly. I started to lose and pretty fast but not unhealthy fast. Try it if you can and see if that works. Make sure you are eatting enough and go to the Dr. see if that helps you.:happy:

I will go check with my doctor,
    that's very helpful because I do gain weight fast and have some of the symptoms (that's kinda scary).
    Thank you
  • Pebble321
    Options

yeah I heard that somewhere too... but I started counting calories since I joined myfitnesspal

If your calorie allowance as calculated by MFP is 1200 and you are eating under this and not eating more when you exercise - you aren't even close to your limit!
    MFP works on the theory that you need to eat your recommended daily allowance plus the calories you burn from exercise. Together these make up the daily amount that is recommended to keep you healthy and losing weight.

Eating a very low amount will work in the short term but it is hard to keep up and can leave you feeling low in energy and might affect your general health if you aren't getting in enough good nutrition.
  • Carolfp
    Options
    What is your height? Are you SUPPOSED to be 60 KG for your height? Also, obviously you are close to your goal range since you are within 4 kg of your goal. As you near your goal, it is harder to lose weight than if lets say you were 30-40 KG too large. Fast is not always better... Just relax and you will get there. Make sure you eat enough ... Sounds like you are getting into extreme levels of exercise to try to force your weight. Slow and steady should do the trick. Best wishes on achieving your goal...

I am 158cm tall.
    Yea i feel as if I'm pushing too hard, i only have one break in the week and on that break I am working so I never stop!
    lol.
    I don't sleep much either,
    It's all making sense now. Thanks!
  • Carolfp
    Options

If your calorie allowance as calculated by MFP is 1200 and you are eating under this and not eating more when you exercise - you aren't even close to your limit!
    MFP works on the theory that you need to eat your recommended daily allowance plus the calories you burn from exercise. Together these make up the daily amount that is recommended to keep you healthy and losing weight.

Eating a very low amount will work in the short term but it is hard to keep up and can leave you feeling low in energy and might affect your general health if you aren't getting in enough good nutrition.

I thought it was a limit and if you went over you gained weight :O
    I see now,
    By the end of the day I always have like 200 or sometimes 80 calories left (from the 1200) I am supposed to eat.
  • Pebble321
    Options
    Nope, it's not such a hard and fast limit as all that. And it should include extra calories from exercise.

So, if you are exercising and burning say.... 400 cals in a day, and you only eat 1000 - you haven't given your body much to work with.

Remember that your body burns most of it's calories each day just staying allive - keeping you breathing, pumping oxygen, digesting food, all the stuff we don't see but that is happening 24 hours a day. At your size you are probably needing (at a guess) 1300 cals just to keep all that happening. Then if you add another 400 cals a day you would have to eat 1700 calories just to maintain that weight.
    Only eating 1000 calories is creating a pretty big calorie deficit for someone who doesn't have much weight to lose.
  • outspan87
    outspan87 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same train... I joined MFP 3 days ago, I do cardio 6 days a week for 1h-1h30m and used to eat 1300 cal, which is ridiculous for my needs. I started logging my food, now I eat around 1800 and feel much more energized (I'm still creating a good calorie deficit). I still have to figure out whether this site is overestimating my cals for the workouts though.