Barefoot Running tips PLEASE!!

Options
Gumbie7
Gumbie7 Posts: 45 Member
I'm a really crappy runner, but I think I'd like to start learning how to become one. I already work out in my vibrams on a daily basis. I'm wondering if my fellow MFP people could give some tips on how to run barefoot. Or any suggestions/tips about running in general. Anything you have to offer would be great to hear! I'd really like to get in shape and possibly run a half marathon a year from now, but I know it's going to take a lot to build up to that. So PLEASE :) give me what you got!

Replies

• Gumbie7
    Options
    Nobody has any tips?? I'm sure someone does:) so Bump!
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Run on the front pads of your feet and NOT on the back part.

Running on various terrains and textures is better than the same track all the time. Its like doing various exercises for different muscles.

Always drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. Even cool days will make you sweat and you won't know it because it will evaporate so quickly in the air. Camelbaks are great. Get one.

Vibrams are awesome. You already know that.
  • Gumbie7
    Options
    Rgr that! Thanks for the tip:)
  • Gumbie7
    Options
    Any tips on how you all build up your endurance, and go from not being a runner to becoming one?
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Walk every day, whether you run or not.

Get plenty of rest between runs.

Once you are walking a set distance each day, run as much of it as you can and then walk the rest.

Keep increasing the distance you run a little bit each time.

Run as much as you can taking only minimal ten or twenty second walking breaks.

When you can run the entire path without stopping, find a new path.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Take it easy getting used to running barefoot. The reason running barefoot is so awesome and helps prevent injuries is that it strengthens your feet and legs - but like any strengthening, there's going to be some very real muscle soreness in the beginning and you need to give your legs and feet time to recover.

Also to build endurance, force yourself to run slower than you want to. It's tempting to run all out and then get exhausted and walk pretty quickly, but if you're on a long run you really need to keep at a pace where you can still talk as you go. A heart rate monitor can really help you nail your pace.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Spend a few minutes running on a golf course (or other nicely groomed gassy area) or on the treadmill.

As others mentioned, you must ease into it.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Ease into it like everyone has said.
    Lots of good info at Barefoot Ken Bob's website http://www.barefootrunning.com/
    He also has a book about it: "Barefoot Running Step by Step"
  • Gumbie7
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone! I just downloaded the Couch to 5k app too that I'm going to use to ease into running with just my vibrams. I am really grateful for all the support:)
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    This is really hard. I've been trying to do this (even in my stabilising joggers) and I feel kind of ridiculous. I'm going to stick with it, but am I the only one who finds this tricky?
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yeah I would get comfortable running with the vibrams first before making the switch. Once you have a comfortable pace there transition slowly to barefoot. It's going to take some time and some muscle soreness don't try to go all out at once because it takes some time to really get comfortable with it :)
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    This is really hard. I've been trying to do this (even in my stabilising joggers) and I feel kind of ridiculous. I'm going to stick with it, but am I the only one who finds this tricky?

When you run barefoot on grass for a few minutes, your body tends to force the proper gait.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Running barefoot? I never really thought of it. I would have thought the risk of injury would be high due to foreign or sharp objects but perhaps not given some of the other posts. As for me? I'll stick with a good pair of running shoes when my weight is down far enough to run seriously again.
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Try to think of it as if you're springing haha Idk if that helps or not but it helps me with my stride.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was new to running (still consider myself a newbie, honestly) and started in vibrams. I thought I was going slowly and easing into it. I'd been walking in them, wearing them to zumba and crossfit, running very short intervals and *still* ended up hurting my ankles. I was training for my first half-marathon and ended up buying some Asics so that I could keep to my training schedule.

I still want to run minimal/barefoot eventually, but am now working my way into it at a snails pace - it's going much better now. And I'm glad I have the Asics to alternate with.

I will say.... the way my calves have reshaped is pretty awesome. :-)

Just go super-duper slow and allow your body to adjust. An ice foot bath will help when you're increasing distances, too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Go to runners world & the vibram 5 fingers websites. Both have links to excellent tutorials & things to look out for and be aware of with regards to minimalist & barefoot running.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

Like TrailAddict said, running barefoot forces you to do this because it hurts too much to strike heel first. I thought I was doing pretty good until I started using Vibrams. It helps if your feet are landing just behind or directly underneath your center of gravity.

To the OP, do some research on proper running form. "Chi Running" by Dreyer helped me out a lot. Work on your form first, then add distance, then add speed.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I'm a really crappy runner, but I think I'd like to start learning how to become one. I already work out in my vibrams on a daily basis. I'm wondering if my fellow MFP people could give some tips on how to run barefoot. Or any suggestions/tips about running in general. Anything you have to offer would be great to hear! I'd really like to get in shape and possibly run a half marathon a year from now, but I know it's going to take a lot to build up to that. So PLEASE :) give me what you got!

I switched to Vibram Five Fingers over 3 years ago. I changed my running gait using the Chi method. This took about 2 months on the treadmill. I then transitioned to outdoor runs and increased my mileage by 10% each week. I completed a half marathon last June using them and felt great. I had persistent knee and shin splint problems when I wore regular running shoes. That being said, everyone is different. It takes time to change your running style with the Vibrams. Good luck!
  • Gumbie7
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips everyone!! I did my first run last night in my vibrams using the Couch to 5K app and it worked amazingly! I'm going to check out that Chi method and see if that will help my form...my friends use to say I ran like a hunched back or Notre Dame
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE. You have to retrain your body to run properly when you're running in minshoes or barefoot. Check out the Barefoot Runners Society forums - http://thebarefootrunners.org/forum/