Can you make hot chocolate with protein powder?

Options
Got some Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate and it makes a lovely shake, could it be made with hot milk for a more nutritious hot chocolate?
Or are there ingredients in it that don't like heat?

Replies

• katiepatati
    katiepatati Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i'd like to know this too!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • rvani
    rvani Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My Wife makes homemade protein bars. Part of the process is baking the ingredients which include whey. I don't think there are any issues with heat. I say go for it and let us know how it tastes. I may actually try this tonight!
  • nitpick3r
    nitpick3r Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Whey protein will get all gritty and curdle up if added to warm/hot milk or water.
    There is no issue heating it up after it's been mixed, just don't overheat/boil it.

I mix whey protein with cold almond milk until completely dissolved and then stick in the microwave for 20-30 seconds (depending on wattage) and all seems well.
  • AussieMisfit
    AussieMisfit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'd say 'warm chocolate'. I mix ON Whey protein with 1/3 cup water then add to 2/3 cup black coffee (with or without ice, depending on my mood) and it's good. I tried mixing it straight in once - bad idea.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Whey protein i would assume to react like eggs i.e. coagulate but if heated gently and not boiled would thicken slightly

go ahead and try it but i would go warm rather than hot :drinker:
  • bbchickpea
    bbchickpea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd say 'warm chocolate'. I mix ON Whey protein with 1/3 cup water then add to 2/3 cup black coffee (with or without ice, depending on my mood) and it's good. I tried mixing it straight in once - bad idea.

That sounds delicous! Going to try that, thanks for idea.

I've never thought of warming protein shake before, would be lovely in winter after an evening workout.