Well, here we go!

Options
Hi everyone! I just started in here today. Of course, this will only be my 500th attempt at weight loss - and like the last 499 times, I'll probably be successful at first, then get lazy & go back to the old ways.

But now it's critical - my feet are shot, I'm walking with a cane, I get winded just thinking strenuously, and I'm tired of buying new clothes just a little bit bigger than the last time, darn it!

I've invited my sister, who lives 2,000 miles away, to join me here in this online community. (Three guesses what her username might be!) I really hope she does join, but even if she doesn't, I'm plodding ahead with this.

Well, I look forward to getting to know you and sharing our successes!

LS :smile:

Replies

• moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    It's never an easy fight but it is winnable! you can do it and MFP is a great resource. for many of us it has made the difference between stumbling off the wagon then hopping back on instead of falling off and staying off. there are ups and downs with anything but you will find friends and support here whenever you need it.
    welcome and congrats for doing something good for yourself!
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wow, good for you, JLopez, for getting back on the wagon! I know in the past when I've gotten off track, it took me a long time to get back on track again. So that's excellent that you're here again! Thanks for the welcome.
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Moujie, thanks so much for the welcome & the inspiration!
  • LittleEva44
    Options
    Little Sista: I cut and pasted this from about 3 weeks ago. I know you're a vegetarian, but hopefully this will help others who are not. Blessings!

Eva
    Drink 64 oz of water daily. I suggest you eat 1,250 calories at the beginning, take your vitamins/supplements, talk to your doctor before exercising/dieting, use extra virgin olive oil, eat wheat products: bread, spaghetti, cereal, etc., eat fruits and veggies, snack on "any" type of nut (walnuts, almonds, and sunflower seeds are best), drink skim/soy milk, eat yogurt, eat fish/chicken/turkey/lean meats, have salads WITHOUT dressing (use extra virgin olive oil), stay away from POPS/SODAS (drink diet sodas/pops once a day if not, once a week), don't eat "fried foods" (French fries, potato chips, etc), eat Baked Lays, air popped popcorn, go to www.pilsbury.com and buy a pizza stone ($29.99) you can create your own delicious homemade pizzas with Boboli wheat pizza crust (already made); veggies to your heart's content, one can of refried beans (protein), one can of whole kernel corn (drained), and lite mozzarella cheese...yum! You can eat the Oreda crinkle cut fries that you bake in the oven, stay away from the salt shaker, stay AWAY from processed foods, foods made with hydrogenated oils (cookies, cakes, pies, etc). For dessert you can eat a skinny cow chocolate w/peanut butter ice cream sandwich....yummy!

Stop eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep. I learned from Oprah's Boot Camp you have to STOP eating 2-3 hours BEFORE you go to sleep because your metabolism shuts down (as everything does when you're in a REM (Rapid Eye Movement).

Go to www.prevention.com. They have yummy recipes and are another source of website for motivation. Did you know that if you pay for your subscription to Prevention they give you a free pedometer? One should walk/step 10,000 steps daily. Check them out! They have a free website w/the magazine there in front of you in case you can't subscribe just yet.

Don't drink COFFEE. Drink Chai black/green tea instead. Chew gum all day. It keeps your mouth "busy". I've also heard/learned that before you eat a meal eat your soup first since it helps fill you up before the main course.

Weigh yourself "monthly". I swear (Eva crossing her finger and doing a "cross" by her heart) you WILL lose 3-4 pounds every month. If you do the "math" that's THE average of 1 pound a week. This helps you from NOT getting discouraged IF, if, you weigh yourself daily/weekly as allot of women in this site tend to do (weigh themselves daily/weekly and then get discouraged and give up on dieting/exercising). Why do I weigh myself monthly? Because we women have PMS, we retain water, have mood swings, etc., two weeks before we menstruate. Thus the reason why I allow my clothes to do the talking for me.

Thirty minutes before you work out eat one of the following: one apple, OR one small box of raisins with a handful of walnuts, OR soup, OR yogurt. Why? "They are packed with high-quality carbohydrates, which provide a quick source of fuel for your muscles, but they have just enough protein and fat to help you maintain a steady, elevated energy level" (source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

AFTER your work out, drink a protein shake (Slimfast, Special K, EAS Myoplex, etc). Why? "After a workout, your muscles need protein to repair microscopic muscle tears, plus another shot of carbs to help restock energy stores. Cyclists who drank it after a tough racing session had improved endurance and recovered fast than those who drank an ordinary sports drink (which supplies carbs and electrolytes, but no protein)" (Source: Prevention Magazine April 2007).

Stay away from alcoholic drinks (includes wine).

Set small goals for right now. Start with the FIRST 10 pounds. Later, the weight will be HARDER to lose. Remember, it's soooo easy to gain the weight, but hard to lose it. "No pain, no gain!" No worries if the weight is harder to lose since it means that it is time to "up" your exercise regimen (1 hour 3-4 days a week). When you've lost the weight, then you can go "up" to 1,500 calories (maybe for the last stubborn 10 pounds). If you closely watch "THE BIGGEST LOSER" they have to lose more than 50 pounds; their calorie intake is 1,000-1,100. Wow! Bless their heart for doing that!!! If you've watched the Diet Detective, he gets rid of all the "fat" foods in your fridge and pantry (cakes, cookies, pies, etc). He fills those places with veggies, fruits, wheat products, dairy products, low fat cheeses, olive oil, etc. I LOVED that show, but you can still check out his website: www.dietdetective.com/lose-weight.aspx

I WAS at 189 pounds (January 2009) and NOW 15 October 2009 I weigh 169.4 pounds!! (Eva doing a jig). You CAN do it, too! I power walk 2 miles M/W/F during my lunch hour at work. I am training myself to run/jog. On Tuesdays I drive to the post gym (free) during my lunch hour and do upper body strengthening and sit in the hot tub for 15 mintues. I shower, change, and head back to work!

If you want more "tips" let me know as you know how to reach me. Blessings and good luck!
  • LittleSister
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of that! I'm going to try much of that.

I'm especially interested in the idea of weighing myself just once a month. And it's very exciting that you can do so much physical activity. I hope I can get built up to that eventually. Right now, my feet are so shot, and I'm so out of shape that I can only go around the block, but that's what I'm doing for now, and will add on as I can.

Thanks so much!