Protein Powder! ?? which one to get?

I want to get a protein powder to remain lean muscle/increase protein and I like the taste of them :)

any suggestions there are so many brands out there!

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    I'm a fan of the taste of quality of Optimum Nutrition. (pay me ON!!!) =P
    I personally disliked Body Fortress and ..Vega(vegan protein).
  • I'm not any help. I have been doing some research myself and it is all very confusing. People are helpful, but there are so many different needs and types of protein powders to meet those needs.

I don't lift weights, I just walk on my treadmill at a total incline at an average of 4.3 MPH for 2 miles everyday.

I have changed my diet in the last year to incorporate more protein and fat and less carbs. I feel so much better and I lost weight without trying.

I was wanting a protein powder to make the occasional protein shake to give some variety to my diet. Also, because drinking a shake is easier than eating while driving.

I will be interested in any responses you get.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    I haven't been using them too long but haven't found one I like yet. At the minute I have 2 Vanilla flavoured ones and 1 Strawberry flavoured and they are WAYYYY too sickly sweet. I also tried Pea Protein which I wasn't too fond of either, but preferred it to the uber sweet taste of the ones I have at the minute. Defo interested to see what people come up with on this thread as I haven't found one I like yet, preferably one that is not so sweet.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    I want to get a protein powder to remain lean muscle/increase protein and I like the taste of them :)

If you want protein in a smoothie, you can mix in kale or spinach. No need to fill your body up with some unhealthy processed powder.
  • I use Sci-Max Ultragen strawberry flavour which tastes like strawberry angel delight. If you make it with milk it also takes on a yogurt type consitency which is good on fruit or cereal :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    I'm not any help. I have been doing some research myself and it is all very confusing. People are helpful, but there are so many different needs and types of protein powders to meet those needs.

I don't lift weights, I just walk on my treadmill at a total incline at an average of 4.3 MPH for 2 miles everyday.

I have changed my diet in the last year to incorporate more protein and fat and less carbs. I feel so much better and I lost weight without trying.

I was wanting a protein powder to make the occasional protein shake to give some variety to my diet. Also, because drinking a shake is easier than eating while driving.

Don't overthink it. Find one that tastes good with a reputable brand. There is no need to worry about whether to get protein isolate, caseinate, etc.
  • jerrbear67
    jerrbear67 Posts: 36 Member
    I'm a fan of the taste of quality of Optimum Nutrition. (pay me ON!!!) =P
    I personally disliked Body Fortress and ..Vega(vegan protein).

Agreed with the Optimum Nutrition. It's probably one of the best you can buy. It's is a little expensive, take a look on Amazon and Bodybuilding.com for some good deals.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 352 Member
    I use Jillian Michael Whey Protein, have chocolate and vanilla flavor..........like them both
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    I use Jillian Michael's (the chocolate). It's not quite as much protein as some of the other brands, but it helps me get my macros in balance. I haven't tried other brands, but JM is really good. I mix 1 scoop with 1 c. milk and 1 tsp. instant coffee. Yum!
  • Agree with the ON :) Good stuff right there!!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    We use Gaspari Myofusion or Gaspari Intrapro. 2 lbs at normal price is around $25. We have 4 different flavors (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and cinnamon roll) and have like them all.
  • I'm not any help. I have been doing some research myself and it is all very confusing. People are helpful, but there are so many different needs and types of protein powders to meet those needs.

Don't overthink it. Find one that tastes good with a reputable brand. There is no need to worry about whether to get protein isolate, caseinate, etc.

I agree about not overthinking it, but I have also got opinions from others on which brands are reputable. So, since this in really new to me (protein powders), I don't know which companies are reputable.
  • nathan72
    nathan72 Posts: 91 Member
    isoflex peanutbutter chocolate chip (from Allmax Nutrition). my all time favorite for most protein for the fewest calories. mixes well and tastes great!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    I like The Organic Whey protein powder... I use 2 scoops of it in my breakfast smoothies.
  • DonttrythatwithME
    DonttrythatwithME Posts: 214 Member

i just find a protein that promotes lean mass, sci mx is decent i get good results when cutting/ getting lean through this, if im bulking then i look at USN Muscle fuel anabolic
  • lrobson555
    lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
    PhD Nutrition stuff is amazing! I use the Pharma Whey and Diet Whey in chocolate mint or vanilla. They are amazing! Like drinking a milkshake whether you use water or milk. Plus, with the vanilla you can add fruit to it to make a smoothie!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Smoothie King makes one called Gladiator. 95 cal. 22 grms of protein and half a carb per scoop. I've used both the chocolate and vanilla. pretty tasty. I use the vanilla to make pancakes. 7 grms of protein per pancake.
  • allieward
    allieward Posts: 22
    I buy mine from myprotein.com
    It's the same as the big brands just with a lesser price tag. They have an amazing range of products and flavours and they work really well.
  • msmmg
    msmmg Posts: 4 Member
    I use Jay Robb Whey Protein. It is delicious, but expensive.