Protein Powder! ?? which one to get?

Options

Replies

• juicyfruitkk
    juicyfruitkk Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think it's a matter of taste but I like arbonne essentials. They offer it in chocolate and vanilla (no sat. fat, trans fat, cholesterol or artificial color/sweeteners/flavors).

I normally I prefer chocolate but I think their vanilla is much better. Its $60 for a months supply unless you get a discount/special and packs 20g of vegan protein for 160 calories (170 for chocolate). You can mix it with water but I prefer unsweetened coconut or almond milk with it.

Good luck finding one you enjoy! Cheers to your health :drinker:
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    HunterKiller_wechange Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Chocolate or strawberry flavour Syntha 6. Lovely stuff. :smile:
  • InsaneOne
    InsaneOne Posts: 4
    Options
    I own some Labrada pro v60 :-) (Vanilla)

I add 2 Tbs of ovaltine, 1 cup of fat free lactaid and ice and im all set :-D!
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Anyone here know if you can heat up your protein powder?

I'm not a fan of cold protein drinks...do I lose any nutritional value if I mix protein powder with hot water?
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    Designer Whey French Vanilla is really a great priced Protein mix, it's available at the grocery stores (price chopper) where I'm from has it for $12.99 and it is only 100 calories per scoop. 18g P, 2g F, Sodium 60, 3g carbs, 2g sugar. It's light and not too sweet. I usually add in some kind of fruit. Good luck :)
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love my Multipower Formula 80 Evolution. It's 80% protein, light in fat, rich in vitamins and minerals. I choose stracciatella, which is very creamy, not very sweet, no aftertaste. I find it very refreshing, and it is neutral enough to mix with any fruits.
  • dawson555
    dawson555 Posts: 26
    Options
    Reflex instant whey or dymatize iso 100 but its expensive but no carb, no fats!!
  • KBienn
    KBienn Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've always hated the taste of protein shakes but I finally found one that is delicious!

Dymatize Nutrition Whey & Casein Blend
    Elite Gourmet Chocolate Peanut Butter http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3557100

For more peanut taste, I also add in PB2 (powered peanut butter with only 45 cals and 1.5 grams of fat).http://bellplantation.com/
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I love Premier protein ready made shakes. You get them at Costco. They are small (about 11oz) and have 30g of protein and only around 5 carbs. They are smooth, creamy and really good. I have one every morning on my way to the gym.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Thanks for this chart...very eye opening. I have so many clients who want to take the cheap way out and they are putting crap into their bodies. Lead...mercury...I wish they put those that have sucralose in there too. NASTY!
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition (ON) is very good stuff. Personally, I like BSN Syntha-6 Protein (Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor). It has all the essential amino acids and tastes very good.
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Here is the response from EAS AdvantEDGE:

Consumer Reports testing was based on consumption of three shakes per day and the testing applied proposed U.S. Pharmacopeia standards — not current, accepted or approved guidelines. Our recommended up to two servings of Myoplex daily, as stated on the label, is well below the current accepted standards and below the proposed U.S. Pharmacopeia limits.

Trace levels of these elements are naturally found in the environment and in many foods we eat daily (such as shellfish, potatoes, rice, and leafy greens). We conduct extensive testing to ensure the quality of our products. Each time the shakes have been tested for elements, such as arsenic and cadmium, the results are below the limit of all current, well-established safety standards.

You can continue to use Myoplex shakes with confidence. If you have questions about how much protein is appropriate for your needs, you should talk to your doctor or other health care professional."

I just bought a case of chocolate EAS advantEDGE

also found this article http://www.livestrong.com/article/6512-need-arsenic-poisoning-symptoms
    When someone has endured long-term exposure to small amounts of arsenic, they can flush accumulated toxins out of the body through a process called chelation. Chelation therapy uses medicine or other substances to help the body clear out toxic metals, such as mercury, in addition to arsenic. Some dietary components also help the body remove certain toxins. Examples are fiber, the amino acid cysteine and sulphur. Other dietary supplements that help the body purge toxins are coenzyme Q10, the amino acid L-lysine, garlic and alfalfa. When using supplements to clear toxins and metals from the body, you should also supplement with essential minerals like iron, which are removed from the body in the chelation process

Guess I will increase my fiber and garlic consumption!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Muscletech Whey - van and choc are both pretty good - not chalking at all - Sam's 5lb bags $33
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Meal Replacement Vanilla Syntha-6 is really good
    I'm using both but I'm using Optimum Nutrition - Platinum Hydro Whey Turbo Chocolate more because it is not a meal replacement and it works better with my day :-)

Both taste really well, the second tastes AMAZING with 1% Milk
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm not any help. I have been doing some research myself and it is all very confusing. People are helpful, but there are so many different needs and types of protein powders to meet those needs.

I don't lift weights, I just walk on my treadmill at a total incline at an average of 4.3 MPH for 2 miles everyday.

I have changed my diet in the last year to incorporate more protein and fat and less carbs. I feel so much better and I lost weight without trying.

I was wanting a protein powder to make the occasional protein shake to give some variety to my diet. Also, because drinking a shake is easier than eating while driving.

I will be interested in any responses you get.

I'm in the same boat! I've reduced carbs and tried to increase protein. I want to find some shakes or something because I am always below my protein goal. All I do is walk or Jillian Michaels workouts. I don't really lift or anything, but I do want more protein to build muscle. Lowering carbs helped me lose without hardly trying!
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia and find the Musashi brands have been quite nice. I have tried some real bad ones too. If you can get a sample try before buying a big tin, that works well as you could end up suffering by nearly throwing up as you try to force down bad flavoured ones just so you dont waste the money!

Musashi have the powders you mix with milk or water (I like milk) but also have the handy poppers as well. Loving the Musashi P30 iced coffee ones now. All taste ok, with vanilla being a lot sweeter. They are called Musashi P10/20/30/40 depending on the amount of protein you want. 30 grams in the P30 is fine for after a workout or even as a quick breakfast. Some protein mixes have higher or lower carbs and I guess it all depends on whether you want to simply 'feed' muscles after a workout (or even before if you want), some do have higher carbs for when you are wanting to gain weight/bulk up as such. I have heard you need to have protein within the first 30 minutes after exercise for your muscles to get the best benefit. After this time it just passes through your body. Whether its in a shake from like the whey based ones or from foods with meats such as chicken and turkey and even kangaroo is good, but have it within the first 30 minutes of doing exercise. Coles is always having sales on their Musashi poppers and have all 4 flavours, woolies only has vanilla, choc or strawberry. Very very nice! Give them a try hey. Good luck matey!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the taste of quality of Optimum Nutrition. (pay me ON!!!) =P
    I personally disliked Body Fortress and ..Vega(vegan protein).

any reason you dislike Body Fortress? this is what i have been getting just cause it is a little easier to afford. I also mix in some Mona Vie RVL for the nutrition since the Body Fortress doesn't have much beyond protein. Just curious since I am new to this.

thanks,
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    ON and Vega Sport!!!:happy:
  • jshashaty
    jshashaty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like Whey vanilla protein so I can add some fruit to it. and also Naturade?