Calculating Calories Eating/Losing?

Options
I am so new to weight loss and calorie counting. How do you calculate what you are losing? I walk. I dance. I'm doing the 30 day shred. We swim. We hike. How do I guage the amount of calories I'm losing with each activity?
Also for food. We raise a lot of our own food. Venison, Beef, Pork, Chicken, Turkey, eggs, milk, veggies and fruits....it's all farm raised or wild. How do I guage calories in food?

Replies

• bohler85
    bohler85 Posts: 2
    Options
    the food section tells you how many calories are in your foods automatically! so does the exercise section
  • LessLikeHer
    Options
    If I look up some of the same foods online though I get different results. Same with Exercise. If I look up how much I lose walking, it's usually less or more than mfp says.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If I look up some of the same foods online though I get different results. Same with Exercise. If I look up how much I lose walking, it's usually less or more than mfp says.
    You can enter your own values in exercise if you have a better number. For foods you can also make a new entry (and perhaps change an existing one).
  • viannee
    viannee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Most foods are estimations of the calories. It just gives you a general idea of what you put in your body. Choose the food choices which you think is the closest to what you ate. Same with exercises. It also helps to read other sources of information like from livestrong.com and nutritiondata.self.com.
  • LessLikeHer
    Options
    Great. Thanks for all of the info everyone!! I get on Livestrong.com a lot by the way to the pp. :)