Is this amount of protein right?

Options
mmreed
mmreed Posts: 436 Member
Been reading and came across this

http://www.nutrex.com/articles/dd/deadline-diet-1.asp

Says protein should be 1.5 my weight. I'm 300. I don't see how 450g of protein is safe or even possible?

Has anyone done this?

I've been keeping 2100 cals a day and shooting for 40% carb 30 protein 30 fats. How does that sound.?

Replies

• kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    I think your macros sound good. I personally do 50/20/30 for carbs/protein/fat. I would think that the original protein amount would be high and unhealthy for the kidneys.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    usually the guidelines are per lean body mass, or if they are on total weight assume you aren't obese.

15 - 30% or 35% calories from protein is pretty standard for most people. 0.7 - 1.0g per lb of lean body mass might be 100-150g per day.
  • svwalter
    svwalter Posts: 21
    Options
    My nutritionist said to get atleast 60g of protein a day. Eat meat first then vegetables then eat carbs on your plate. Protein is needed to keep from losing muscle and hair. I hope this helps.
  • Luckydrd
    Luckydrd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting weights, eat your weight in protien. 200lbs = 200g of protein. Chicken and protien shakes work.
  • dawson555
    dawson555 Posts: 26
    Options
    i would eat 2g per pound of body weight when bulking and 1.5 for maintance always around 400g,

33 eggs
    300g mince
    200g chicken
    and my shakes
  • candacepatra
    candacepatra Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's supposed to be 1.5x your weight in kg, not pounds!!

Take your weight in pounds, divide by 2.2 (300/2.2 = 136) 136 x 1.5 = 204g/protein per day

They say though that the second number you multiply by (1.5) can be anywhere from .9 to 1.8 depending on your scale of activity - ie., if you lift weights, if you're trying to build muscle mass and lose fat, the higher up you'd go.

For example, my current weight is somewhere in the neighborhood of 160, which is about 72kg. If I multiply by 1.5, that puts me at 109g/protein per day - but I'm trying to reset my metabolism and build muscle, so I've upped it way more than that and have my protein at 30% of my daily calories, which results in a goal of about 160g/protein per day.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    Some great info here, I've been trying to work out the best protein intake to go for, so much conflicting advice out there!
    I think your macros sound good. I personally do 50/20/30 for carbs/protein/fat. I would think that the original protein amount would be high and unhealthy for the kidneys.

This is the ratio I think best suits me in terms of meeting each macro goal.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are. When I was working on building muscle, I was at 40/30/30. Now that I am training for a half marathon, I've changed to 50/25/25.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    it should be measured in lean mass per pound (subtract your body fat) or 1g per kg (not pound!).
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    People get crazy about protein.

I believe the number from a health/weight loss perspective is 1g / kg of body weight (1g per 2.2 lbs)

---> Sometimes I hear it as 1g / kg of LEAN mass (don't count your fat). (This is what I aim for.)

Bodybuilders/lifters suggest 1g/lb or more. Or 2g/Kg if you don't want to mix measuring systems.
  • majorcrimesd
    majorcrimesd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If your working out yea, or close to it. More like a gram/pound of body weight. I', 205 and average abt 200 grams a day from various sources....mainly chicken, turkey and a high quality protein supplement.

Unused protein will equate to added calories....it has always been and always will be about calories in and calories out........wear the body bug.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    When it comes to developing a nutritional plan, the first couple of things you need to determine are your total weight and bodyfat percentage. The bodyfat percentage doesn't need to be 100% accurate, but it will be used to determine your percentage of lean mass. There are a number of websites out there that can use certain measurements to determine your bodyfat %- just Google "body fat calculator", enter your measurements into about 4-5 of them and then average out the results. Based on my experience, there shouldn't be too much variation in the results.

So once you have your bodyfat %, subtract that number from 100 to get your lean mass percentage. Multiply this number by your current weight to get your total lean mass.

For example, let's say you weigh 300 lbs and your bodyfat is 30%. Your lean mass percentage would be 70%, and your total lean mass would be 210lbs.

In order to maintain your current weight, you'd need to consume 210g of Protein every day. Since 1g of protein is equal to 4 calories, you'd be taking in 840 calories from protein.

Now, there's a lot of debate over the ratio of macronutrients in a diet. Based on my experience, the 40/40/20 spilt seems to be the best starting point. You can make adjustments as you go, but this will give you a good starting point. Just like protein, 1g of carbs is equal to 4 calories, but 1g of fat is equal to 9 calories. Continuing with the above example, we've already calculated your protein needs using your body weight and lean mass percentage, wiht is 210g of protein equaling 840 calories.

So, a 40/40/20 split would work as thus:

Protein: 210g, 840 calories
    Carbs: 210g, 840 calories
    Fats: 47g, 420 calories
    Total: 2100 calories
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    My macros are 40% protein, 30/30 carb/fat -- works for me. I easily get 120-150g protein a day.
    I personally think MFP is completely backwards.

Unless you have some kidney disease already this isn't an issue. (someone mentioned that above and its just not true)

Protein is what keeps you feeling full longer, helps you build muscle -- so if you're working out at all, then the mfp settings are definitely too low -- and so is 20%. If you hang out on the couch all day and don't care about muscle then its not an issue :)