Uses for Fresh Basil

Options
KarensCanDoIt
KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
I started a small herb garden this year. I have basil, oregano, rosemary, lavender, and pineapple mint. My basil is growing like crazy, and I can't wait to use some. Any ideas/recipes that use fresh basil?

Replies

• JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wasa crackers topped with cream cheese, fresh tomatoes, sprinkled with a little salt, and top with the fresh basil.
    I drop a few leaves in my ramin noodle soup. Of course can always add them to Italian cooking, like when you're making spagetti sauce or even if you use jar sauce, I always add to my jar sauces- I cook the jar sauce down with usually more garlic, peppers, basil, grated parm cheese and a touch of sugar to spice it up ( I prefer Prego mushroom sauce). Try adding some chopped up to your scrambled eggs, if you like basil, just get creative with it. I've also given away so much when my plants get crazy as it does grow like mad. Much cheaper than buying a small package at the grocery stores though. :smile: Good luck. :smile:
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Its always fabulous when teamed with sliced tomato and mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil. Or you can make a traditional pesto. I make a less traditional pesto with Basil, garlic, avocado ,roasted (skin on) almonds, parmesan cheese and a little olive oil. High in cals and fats. But mostly good fats.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    Can't ever have too much basil!!!! By far my favorite. I use it in alot of different ways. But, if you're looking to use up a ton of it, the best way is pesto, which can be frozen in small containers. I also like to simply chop a ton of it up & place it in a lareg freezer bag. This way, I can use it all winter, just take a pinch out & sprinkle it on pizza, mix it in sauces, soup or dips. YUM!!!
  • NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I sometimes throw some basil leaves into salads.

And they're gorgeous on slices of fresh tomato with some ground pepper - as a quick snack.
  • blaze46
    blaze46 Posts: 6
    Options
    PESTO! for Pasta, Pizza or throw a dollop into soup... Bunch of Fresh Basil, lightly toasted pine nuts, fresh lemon rind, garlic and parmigiano cheese into a food processor, drizzle in some olive oil, cracked black pepper and enjoy.
  • jarrettfam
    jarrettfam Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have Basil, oregeno, parsley, lavender and mint too!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The combo of tomatoes, basil, good balsamic, a little olive oil, and fresh mozzarella is my favorite ever-- in fact, basil is my favorite herb

Here's some things to do with it

- Bruschetta (diced tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella, balsamic & olive oil atop a baguette slice)
    - Bruschetta v2 (sauteed red/yellow peppers, basil, capers, a dash of sugar, and goat cheese on a baguette)
    - Pizza (basically the same ingredients as bruschetta but on pizza)
    - Top a bowl of pasta and marinara with some chopped fresh basil
    - Pesto (basil, garlic, toasted pine nuts, parmesan, & evoo) - pesto freezes pretty well if you put a layer of olive oil on top.
    - Make a basil-infused simple syrup for lemonade

Basil is a cousin of mint, so you can try using basil in place of mint in recipes, if you're in the mood for cocktails, you could try a basil mojito.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I second the mozzarella, tomato and basil - it's a match made in heaven!!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Oh geez, fresh basil is the BEST!

I like it in salads with mozarella and tomatoes, toss it into a fresh, lighter homemade tomato sauce, make basil lemonade with it (SUPER good!), pizzas, pastas, anything really. It's such an amazing flavor.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I roast or grill veggies , spread laughing cow or fesh mozzerela on basil and wrap:-) mmmmm
    and pesto, everything!
  • Junepal
    Junepal Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just used my fresh basil from my garden in this easy and yummy salsa...

Made this over the weekend as a side to our chicken and it was so good! Would work well with seafood too!

1 large fresh peach, chopped
    2 Tbsp. KRAFT Lite Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
    1-1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
    1Tbsp. finely chopped red onions
    1tsp. finely chopped seeded jalapeño peppers

COMBINE ingredients and ENJOY!

Makes 1 cup or 8 servings, 2 Tbsp. each
    Calories per serving 10 Total fat 0 g Saturated fat 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg Sodium 35 mg Carbohydrate 2 g Dietary fiber 0 g Sugars 1 g
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The combo of tomatoes, basil, good balsamic, a little olive oil, and fresh mozzarella is my favorite ever-- in fact, basil is my favorite herb

I have to agree with you on this one!

thanks for all the great ideas everyone. I'm not very handy in the kitchen. I can't wait to try your suggestions!