Eating late in the Evening

Options
One thing I have repeatedly seen mentioned is that if you want to lose weight, you better not eat anything late, like after 8 pm. That, I find impossible to follow because I usually sleep really late. Any suggestions?

How bad it really is? And why is it bad in the first place?

Replies

• ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    That is just one of those myths that refuses to die because people keep repeating it over and over ad finitum. In fact, it doesn't matter what time of day you eat. You will still lose weight as long as you maintain a calorie deficit and don't go over your calorie goal for the day. So if eating later in the day works better for you, go ahead and do it, just don't overindulge.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I go to bed really late too! And I have always eaten any time of day even minutes before I go to bed, still lost weight, I agree that its just a myth.

Right now, its like almost midnite.. eating few pieces of chocolate, and some cottage cheese.. hmm not sure how they go together but thats what I was craving :)
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    It's not so much a myth as it is common advice that's misinterpreted. "Don't eat after 7PM" is commonly given as weight loss advice because many people have a habit of mindless snacking at night. But people instead think it's because there's something magic about the time of day. So long as you have a calorie deficit though, the timing will have no effect on weight loss.
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about it. Your eating should make sense with your personal schedule, not some arbitrary time on the clock. Evening is just the time most people tend to binge or snack a lot because they're not doing anything else (like working) to keep them otherwise occupied. I just focus on eating the right amount of food whatever time that happens at.
  • sheppuh
    sheppuh Posts: 39
    Options
    Your body doesn't magically turn late night calories into megafattycalories. For me the main problem is that as I get more and more tired (I'm usually up until about 2-3am) I get less and less aware of my hunger cravings. That sort of groggy state sort of impairs any willpower I exert throughout the day. Past midnight I pretty much just say, "If I want to eat a whole box of cheezits/skittles/cereal I'LL DO IT BECAUSE I BLOODY FEEL LIKE IT." Basically my adult brain switches off and my five year-old brain flips on. This is still my biggest obstacle in weight loss!

However, like any other habit, it can be improved and conditioned! I still falter sometimes, but as of late I'm much better about taking a step back and realizing how bummed I would be in the morning to find out I ate so much.
  • corgisncollies
    corgisncollies Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I work retail and my typical shift is 11-8, so I eat dinner around 9pm every day. Like others have said, I think what you eat (and how much) is more important than what time you eat it.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I only ever eat at night, in bed in fact! I save my food until around 9pm when I'll get settled with something to watch on the tv or laptop and then eat my dinner.
    I tend to go to sleep right after,that way there's no snacking! :)
    I have always eaten this way when I want to lose weight, it's the only way that works for me.
    Do what's right for you, your body and your lifestyle. :D
  • ashshields12
    ashshields12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think its more about burning the calories that you eat. For example if you eat earlier in the day etc the food is going to be burnt. If you yet late, your body is less active because you do less... less of the calories are burnt.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I think its more about burning the calories that you eat. For example if you eat earlier in the day etc the food is going to be burnt. If you yet late, your body is less active because you do less... less of the calories are burnt.
    Completely false.

What about the people who workout after they get off work? Or those who workout just before they go to bed?
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    It's a myth. Our body doesn't know if it's night or day. When you eat something before you go to bed, it will stay in your stomach until you wake up in the morning. When you start to move around, the calories that you took in before you went to sleep is then burned.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100 lbs over the past year and regularly eat 500-1200 calories within an hour or two of going to sleep. I don't think the time of day matters as long as your net is averaging a calorie deficit.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I agree with it being a myth. It does work for some people however who tend to snack at night time. If you snack a lot at night than it works for some to pretend the kitchen is closed after a certain time. The only reason to not eat late at night is if you can't control it or if eating close to bed disrupts your sleep.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eating late at night IF you have the calorie allowance. If you don't then you need to readjust how you spread out your calories. Personally I don't eat in the morning since I like to eat before I go to sleep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stolendestiny
    Options
    Thank you guys for your responses. Now, I don't need to feel guilty about eating late night!