Am I eating too little?

Options
I'm 5'0" and my BMR is1,287. I've got 9lbs left to lose and would like to lose 1lb a week. I usually burn 700-800 calories a day at the gym 6 days a week. and eat between 1000 and 1,500 calories a day (you can take a look at my diary, it's open).
So should I be eating more to lose? Or just keep doing what I'm doing.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! (:

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    In general, you should try not to net below your BMR, which is what your body needs to keep your organs functioning healthily. If you're burning 700-800 calories a day, I would say you should definitely be eating more. At the very least, try not to eat under your BMR! It's incredibly hard (some say impossible) to put on any muscle when you aren't eating enough. You want to lose fat, not lean mass, and although it sounds counter-intuitive, the only way to do that is by eating enough!
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yeah you say you eat between 1000-1500, I suspect 1000 is in starvation mode.
    And maybe 1500 is too much?

What does the program say you should consume?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1 lb/week is quite fast if you have only 9 to go. What is your current weight, do you know your % body fat (calculator at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ )

BMR 1300, sedentary 1600 plus gym burn 700 - 800 = 2300 - 2400 cals / day used.

Subtract 500 for 1 lb/week suggests 1800-1900 to eat.
    Subtract 250 for 0.5 lb/week let's say 2000 calories a day to eat.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I would suggest the group eat more to weigh less. they have helped me a lot with this. can help answer your questions.
  • beachbumant_man
    beachbumant_man Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    well how old r u? well normal diet is around 1500 - 1600 calories exercising n burnin another 500> soo 2000 calories u need to eat a day but if u want to lose a lil weight.. try 1700 calories? how r u feeling atm with your food?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1 lb/week is quite fast if you have only 9 to go. What is your current weight, do you know your % body fat (calculator at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ )

This. Although, I generally follow the 20% deficit as opposed to the 250/500 rule. But you do need to eat more as you approach your goal.

Also, how much do you weigh? It may or may not be possible to get to an arbitrary number. It may be better to look at body fat composition instead of weight. Because muscle is what makes you look fit, not weight. Like I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes, but fat loss make you look good naked.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    You're around my same calorie goal. Here is what I have to say...

Eat your calories but pick good choices. You will lose weight. I have.

Also go to the gym.
  • fitforlifeee
    Options

This. Although, I generally follow the 20% deficit as opposed to the 250/500 rule. But you do need to eat more as you approach your goal.

Also, how much do you weigh? It may or may not be possible to get to an arbitrary number. It may be better to look at body fat composition instead of weight. Because muscle is what makes you look fit, not weight. Like I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes, but fat loss make you look good naked.

I'm 18, weigh 100lbs, and my BFP is 24.9%. I'd really like to lower my BFP, but its so hard :/
    Recently I've food that I'm a lot more hungry than I used to be before I started exercising, so yeah I'll eat a bit more and see what happens. Thanks for your advice!
  • fitforlifeee
    Options

Thank you. I'll give this a try. I'm happy that I get to eat more :)
  • fitforlifeee
    Options
    In general, you should try not to net below your BMR, which is what your body needs to keep your organs functioning healthily. If you're burning 700-800 calories a day, I would say you should definitely be eating more. At the very least, try not to eat under your BMR! It's incredibly hard (some say impossible) to put on any muscle when you aren't eating enough. You want to lose fat, not lean mass, and although it sounds counter-intuitive, the only way to do that is by eating enough!

Thanks! I've just noticed that my net is too low :/ I'll work on bringing it up!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'm 18, weigh 100lbs, and my BFP is 24.9%. I'd really like to lower my BFP, but its so hard :/
    Recently I've food that I'm a lot more hungry than I used to be before I started exercising, so yeah I'll eat a bit more and see what happens. Thanks for your advice!

My biggest recommendation, cut down on your cardio (2 days a week or 1 and a yoga day), increase your weight training (4 days a week) and increase your calories to about 2000. That should get you to cut fat. Now, where you would probably benefit the most is if you concentrated on gaining muscle since you only have about 75 lbs of lean body mass (which is quite small). The more muscle you have, the greater the ability you will see definition. See the two examples below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/