Protein Powder! ?? which one to get?

Options

Replies

• Ginnywc
    Ginnywc Posts: 6
    Options
    I use Entrenet's Whey Protein with my kids because they have to gain weight, and I want it to be healthy weight. We put it in everything - oatmeal, coconut milk shakes, veggies, yogurt, etc. It comes in Vanilla and Chocolate.

http://www.entreneteam.com/absolutenm/templates/entrenetarticle.aspx?articleid=16&zoneid=23&i=

Disclaimer: I am the daughter-in-law of the owners. However, if I didn't think this was the best whey out there, I wouldn't be giving it to my kids. They only get the best.

24246079.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • katiepatati
    katiepatati Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    PhD Nutrition stuff is amazing! I use the Pharma Whey and Diet Whey in chocolate mint or vanilla. They are amazing! Like drinking a milkshake whether you use water or milk. Plus, with the vanilla you can add fruit to it to make a smoothie!

I agree! I have the PHD diet whey in choc orange and even when it is mixed with water, it feels like a treat!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I mix some good ol' Walmart Six Star Triple Chocolate Milkshake protein powder in greek yogurt, throw it in the freezer, then add thawed frozen strawberries to it. It's omglicious.

Six Star Cookies n Creme is also good. But, I haven't tried any others yet. These are Mama's 1st Jugs o' Protein. Mm-hm.
  • mrcheekychops81
    Options
    I usually get all my supliments from myprotien.com they have a huge host of protien powders etc. including a lower calorie/sugar version which has green tea (for increasing metabolism) and fortified vitimans, might be worth checking them out.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the taste of quality of Optimum Nutrition. (pay me ON!!!) =P
    I personally disliked Body Fortress and ..Vega(vegan protein).

any reason you dislike Body Fortress? this is what i have been getting just cause it is a little easier to afford. I also mix in some Mona Vie RVL for the nutrition since the Body Fortress doesn't have much beyond protein. Just curious since I am new to this.

thanks,

Just got some Body Fortress over the weekend for the husband. He's okay with it, but I think it tastes vile. It has this weird coconut flavorish thing to it. Yuck. I like coconut, but not that stuff.
  • Rolande55
    Rolande55 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Gee didn't realize there were so many to choose from out there! I just picked up a bag full of Bulk Barn isolated whey protein to add to my morning smoothies, not to bulk up but just to increase my protein intake which was down. In the process I bought more hulled hemp seeds which I was originally adding. I believe in eating the right foods to get my protein so I also picked up some mung beans and black beans.

That Consumer report is scary! Arsenic? Really? Just goes to show you what happens when things are processed. Heck peanut butter is better at this rate!
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to get enough natural protein in your diet, and if that's still not enough THEN resort to protein powder. Of course protein powder is a good alternative, but there really is nothing better than the real thing. I really only use protein powder for baking now, just to get that little extra protein "treat" when I need. I love Vega's stuff, if you have any issues with dairy, it's completely vegan. Tastes great, and bakes well!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Eggs. They're cheaper by the gram and much tastier.

Seriously, make sure you read the label. I bought a batch with Creatine in it and I didn't want that.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using Pure Protein, vanilla cream. It does taste whey-ish, but I rather like it in a soy milk/orange juice smoothy.
  • DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    isoflex peanutbutter chocolate chip (from Allmax Nutrition). my all time favorite for most protein for the fewest calories. mixes well and tastes great!

THIS!

I also use double rich chocolate by Optimum Nutrition (ON), but only in milk and with a mixer of some sort. The allmax I can drink with water and mixes easily in a shaker.
  • Msciera03
    Msciera03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    TRADER JOES HAS A GREAT PROTEIN POWDER WITH NO CARBS.

Trader Darwin's Whey Protein Powder Vanilla Flavored
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Michael Whey Protein, have chocolate and vanilla flavor..........like them both

I hate the powders that taste chalky (tried several years ago) and I got the JM vanilla cream and was surprised how good it tastes.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I use ON and Syntrax. Also use Premiere for a premixed great tasting chocolate protein drink.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using Pure Protein, vanilla cream. It does taste whey-ish, but I rather like it in a soy milk/orange juice smoothy.

We got some of the premade smoothies that Pure Portein offers for those times when we don't have time. We have tried their orange, key lime and mix berries. Since I am particular about the taste of this type of stuff, I really like them.
  • brooklynstokes
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a great protein powder out. Cheap too about $10 and you can find it at Walmart & don't need to go to any specialty shops. Comes in Chocolate, which I recommend. And you use it after workouts to also help in the break down of lactic acid and help relieve the pain off your muscels along with the added protein!
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I want to get a protein powder to remain lean muscle/increase protein and I like the taste of them :)

any suggestions there are so many brands out there!
    If you want protein in a smoothie, you can mix in kale or spinach. No need to fill your body up with some unhealthy processed powder.

that is a great idea
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Designer Whey. It tastes good and is not way expensive.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    TruNutrition Trutein is not only one of the best tasting retail protein powders, but they do not hide behind proprietary labels - they tell you exactly how much of each kind of protein is in a serving (40% Whey; 40% Micellar Casein; 20% Eggs. The CinnaBun tastes just like a cinnamon roll and PB Cup taste like a Reese's PB cup.

For baking, I just buy a 5 lb (75 servings) bulk bag of 100% Milk Protein Isolate from Truenutrition.com for $36.
    Anyone here know if you can heat up your protein powder?

I'm not a fan of cold protein drinks...do I lose any nutritional value if I mix protein powder with hot water?
    The nutritional profile does not change when heated. Only after significant exposure to heat would the structure of amino acids change (denaturing), but that is a whole different story which you do not need to worry about. I bake high-protein brownies with Milk protein isolate.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Muscletech Whey - van and choc are both pretty good - not chalking at all - Sam's 5lb bags $33

This is what I use too! I have the chocolate right now and really like the taste. I would like to get the vanilla as well for variety. I've only made shakes with it but have a couple recipes I would like to try (waffles, brownies, etc). I have also tried Shakeology but it is expensive and I think that the Muscletech tastes better.
  • steplaj
    steplaj Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the taste of quality of Optimum Nutrition. (pay me ON!!!) =P
    I personally disliked Body Fortress and ..Vega(vegan protein).

any reason you dislike Body Fortress? this is what i have been getting just cause it is a little easier to afford. I also mix in some Mona Vie RVL for the nutrition since the Body Fortress doesn't have much beyond protein. Just curious since I am new to this.

thanks,

Just got some Body Fortress over the weekend for the husband. He's okay with it, but I think it tastes vile. It has this weird coconut flavorish thing to it. Yuck. I like coconut, but not that stuff.

I also use Body Fortress and find it tastes (the chocolate) like Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate only cold.