Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Hello, I was looking for some advice. I was told to get a heart rate monitor to monitor my heart rate etc. when I am working out because of some health issues I have. I was trying to look around n see there seem to be soooo many from just wrist bands to ones you put across your chest. I also see they range from $20-$300 dollars. Does anyone have one they really like and could recommend? Thank you in advance!!!!

Replies

• mbhsummerlin
    Options
    I just got the Polar F7 and love it. Super easy start up directions and I was off running with it yesterday. So cool to see calories burned, fitness vs fat zone, HR (so you can target +/- 65% ), watch, etc. I googled it and bought it off heartratemonitorusa.com and got free shipping! it was about $90, and in ****s Sporting goods they were $120.
  • chrisdavy239
    chrisdavy239 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would defo recommend a Polar. You can get cheaper brands, but Polar are world renowned and reliable - worth a few extra bucks imho.
  • skittles12345
    skittles12345 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'd like to jump on this topic as I am frustrated with heart rate monitors..however I love having one! I have had two Polar HR monitors that have stopped recognizing the strap. I've gone online and done all the tricks to get it working again, but no luck.

So my question is, are any of the wrist only ones any good? I'm not looking for super precision..not a major athlete or anything like that..just need something to be able to consistently monitor my effort and let me know that it need to work harder or not.

Thanks!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    IF you just want a quick idea of your heart rate, stick your fingers on a vein.
  • chrisdavy239
    chrisdavy239 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    IF you just want a quick idea of your heart rate, stick your fingers on a vein.

Doesn't calculate calories unfortunately, which for the majority of MFPers is the main focus.
  • skittles12345
    skittles12345 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes..to clarify, I want to also calculate the calories burned. I know i can check my HR just to make sure I'm in the right range.
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lol, Thanks yes I know how to accuratly take my own pulse but I would like it for calories burned, plus my cardiologist recommended it because of my heart problems, so that I can stay within range and not go over my target zone.

I looked at the Polar ones and I see the FT4 has very good reviews and It's on amazon for $70 original $100.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)