Sushi

Options
jonward85
jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
O.k. So there is an all you can eat Sushi Buffet here in town. I think if i had to pick my Kryptonite it would be sushi. Is there any easy way to figure out how many calories I'm eating with sushi? There are so many types. Any other sushi lovers out there got any advice?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    ......you are making me drool........
  • jayray1980
    jayray1980 Posts: 31
    Options
    I have found alof ot sushi already in the food lists. If not, you could always goodle nutritional value and then input it yourself.

Have a grea t day :)
  • jonward85
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I might just print the list. I was looking for something i could read on before i went and killed my calorie count :).

Thanks
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Bump on the link!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Eat clean sushi - no fried. But I think there are alot of pluses to eating it (health wise).
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    sorry, miread the question. I would do as another suggested and google the type of sushi. I would preplan what kind and how many pieces I was going to eat. Then get up and leave when you meet that maximum. All you can eat sushi is like a fantasy to me!! LOL
  • jonward85
    Options
    I didn't use to like it, but this place has really astounded me. For better or worse i think it could live in the place. It's called "The Journey" in North East side of Indianapolis if you're ever in the area...soooo good.
  • jared767
    jared767 Posts: 76
    Options
    You can create your sushi here

http://www.nutritionix.com/sushi/nutrition-calculator

- and see the nutrients as you build it.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I didn't use to like it, but this place has really astounded me. For better or worse i think it could live in the place. It's called "The Journey" in North East side of Indianapolis if you're ever in the area...soooo good.

Jon i have been to the journey a few times, it's a such a good buffet! And so reasonably priced also. Their sushi is definitely the best at a buffet that i have had, but you should go to a japanese restaurant and order some super fresh. Asaka is very good.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

You're my Hero!!!!! Or should I say Heroine!!!!!
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    what is sushi?

just kidding.

I stick mostly to sashimi and Nigiri because its simple and delicious, but also easier to calculate than them crazy maki rolls stuffed with everything under the sun!!!!!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Eat clean sushi - no fried. But I think there are alot of pluses to eating it (health wise).
    Real sushi, only contains raw fish, nothing cooked and/or fried. With the exception of the rice, of course.
  • RamTX22
    RamTX22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm Sushi !!!!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My issue with sushi is the soy sauce. I really don't want to hit myself with those doses of sodium too often. Otherwise it doesn't seem bad calorie- or nutrient-wise.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm......sushi. I could eat it everyday.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    what is sushi?

just kidding.

I stick mostly to sashimi and Nigiri because its simple and delicious, but also easier to calculate than them crazy maki rolls stuffed with everything under the sun!!!!!

I hate your pic NiclSolomon only because I can't have any until Sunday which is Fathers Day.
  • RamTX22
    RamTX22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm......sushi. I could eat it everyday.

Im right there with you on that one ;)
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    IMHO,

Get Nigiri style Sushi (Just fish and vinegared rice). They have to use the absolute BEST piece of fish, because it isn't hidden underneath cream cheese or behind Nori. You really can't estimate (well) the amount of calories in any given restaurant's "special sauce" for their spicy tuna roll, which are usually really heavy on mayo and added refined sugar. Ask for the pieces to be cut in half, which makes it look like a lot more food. I find that between 4-5 pieces fill me up, for about the price of one speciality roll, for only 220 calories, and I get fatty fish like Hamachi...

http://www.sushiencyclopedia.com/sushi_calories/calories_in_sushi.html

Give it a chance. It's a million times better than a Mexican roll, and if you ever go to Japan, they won't look at you like you are crazy.

Edit: Also, if you are sensitive to MSG, watch out for certain types of seaweed, it's a natural source. Konbu, which is used in miso soup, has one of the highest concentrations of MSG that occur in nature. If you don't have an allergy to it, eat away! That stuff is packed with vitamins and anti-oxidents.
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump