Your favorite healthy calorie-dense foods

Options
vypeters
vypeters Posts: 475 Member
I just had some testing done yesterday, including RMR and a BodPod.

The good news is that my body fat percentage measured 18.6% which is actually even a little lower than I was targeting (I had expected to be in the "fitness" range of 21-24%). I'm not scrawny, though. I have 118 lbs of lean mass on a 5'8" 145 lb. frame.

The bad news is that I'm still losing weight and I need to stop it. I've upped my calories numerous times, but I've also gone from being sedentary to moderate active/highly active depending on the day - call me active on average - and have increased my amount of muscle. So according to the folks at UVA I need to up my calories still significantly more.

My problem as a formerly morbidly obese woman is that I have to watch sliding back into old habits. For the most part I need to avoid sugary and highly processed carb foods (whole carb foods are fine, they don't trigger me). But after losing 174 lbs I pretty much only know three kinds of foods:

Junky calorie dense foods from my obese time
Healthy less calorie dense foods from my loss period
Peanut and other nut butters (my go-to calorie dense healthy food)

Sooooo....what are your favorite relatively healthy but calorie-dense foods?

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your weight loss!

Just some thoughts and I hope I get to the point where I have to add some of these back into my diet to stop losing weight:

lean cuts of beef (instead of extra lean beef, chicken or turkey)
    nuts
    2% or full fat dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese)
    butter on your veggies
    full fat salad dressings
    potatoes
    sweet potatoes
    whole wheat pasta
    brown rice
  • bceagleace
    bceagleace Posts: 22
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats!

I just discovered these when I started doing Power 90 and P90X... I don't know where they were before!