question regarding strength training and calories burned

Options
Wondering if someone can clarify something for me. I understand the whole calories thing so that I have 500 calories left over each day in order to lose one pound a week. I have been keeping close track of my cardio and the calories burned along with my regular calories - not sure if I have worded this clearly. My question is why do we not include the calories burned through strength training in our daily calorie count? By not counting them will that not mess up that balance of calories needed to lose weight.

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lori

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I do include strength training. I add it under
    Cardiovascular
    Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Wondering if someone can clarify something for me. I understand the whole calories thing so that I have 500 calories left over each day in order to lose one pound a week. I have been keeping close track of my cardio and the calories burned along with my regular calories - not sure if I have worded this clearly. My question is why do we not include the calories burned through strength training in our daily calorie count? By not counting them will that not mess up that balance of calories needed to lose weight.

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lori

I include them as well. I usually wear a heart monitor when doing resistance training and calculate the rate. Then add in exactly what I burn as a new workout, name it and refer back to it each time I do that routine. Any time you do an exertion that isn't included in your BMR, you should include it in your caloric count.
  • ltfrombc
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. I did wear my HRM while doing the exercises so I do have the calories burned. I will include it in my daily counts.

Cheers

Lori