Going over fat amount is bad?

Options
onikonor
onikonor Posts: 473 Member
Sooo... I adjusted the MFP ratios to 40/40/20 (carb, protein, fat). Even on clean eating days I always go over fat. Is this bad?

I always end up with closer to 30/40/30.

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Generally, it is recommended that women not go above 65g of fat. So your goal sounds low.

I'd rather go over on fat than carbs :)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of fat you're eating..............and I'd say, no, it's not a bad thing. If you're upping your protein, you will most logically go over in your fat macro. It's just the way it is!

So, avoid the trans fats, the 'bad' ones, and life is good.

(I am NO expert, so if others have better advice, have at it!)
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Not sure I don't go over my fat but I always go over my carbs. Will be interesting to see the responses you get.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Depends on the fat and the ratios really. If you're staying under calories, getting your fats from healthy sources(natural stuff like nuts and such) then I wouldn't worry. I eat 40% from fat and like 25% from carbs.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I go over on fat and protein several times a week, but I never go over my carbs. Some days I might have 100+ g's of carbs left over.
  • marjen002
    marjen002 Posts: 112
    Options
    Generally, it is recommended that women not go above 65g of fat. So your goal sounds low.

This!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My ratio is at 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fat. Sometimes I go over a little on fats and protein, but I don't really worry about it. As long as you're going over from healthy fats as opposed to cheeseburgers, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • onikonor
    Options

Yeah I tend to be under in carbs. Someone else mentioned that higher fat comes with higher protein - I think this maybe the reason.

A lot of my fat comes from eating red meat/salmon (which is probably bad), peanut butter, and mayo (only 2 tbsp a day max!)
  • judysaprincess
    Options
    Try substituting the red meat & salmon for lean proteins if your gonna have salmon for lunch try chicken/turkey/tilapia for dinner....too much of anything really isn't the best! I have my macros set @ 40/40/20 and it's changed my life!! Drop the mayo and try Greek yogurt I promise it's yummy! Red meat can still be satisfying for ya, just try leaner beef! The burger w/ 25 g of fat...that's high :( just my opinion and what's worked for me...good luck and congrats on your continued success! :)
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Yeah I tend to be under in carbs. Someone else mentioned that higher fat comes with higher protein - I think this maybe the reason.

A lot of my fat comes from eating red meat/salmon (which is probably bad), peanut butter, and mayo (only 2 tbsp a day max!)

I wouldn't worry about the salmon. Fish is a great source of protein and omega 3 acids, the concern with eating too much seatood is generally mercury content. But salmon has a VERY low mercury content. Eat salmon all you want. If your cholesterol is low to begin with, red meat isn't hurting you at all. Iron and potassium are important. Honestly I think you are fine.

Edited after reading your diary:

Most of your fat, this week, is actually coming from chicken wings and potato chips. The red meat and fish aren't your problem.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I custom my plan and do not go by MFP's recommendations. With a 2100 TDEE, I'm 40-45% protein, 15-20% carbs and 40% fats and follow a very unrestricted Paleo diet. I know plenty of women on the Paleo diet as well with fat ratios near mine and go between 60-100g of carbs a day depending on how intense and long their training is. If your body is responding well to your ratios, then do not worry about it.

Nearly all of my fats come from grass-fed beef, vegetarian-fed eggs, full-fat Greek Yogurt, , coconut, avocados and hazelnuts. Three times a week I'll have salmon, though. Several of those are great sources of healthy, omega-3 fats.
  • onikonor
    Options

I wouldn't worry about the salmon. Fish is a great source of protein and omega 3 acids, the concern with eating too much seatood is generally mercury content. But salmon has a VERY low mercury content. Eat salmon all you want. If your cholesterol is low to begin with, red meat isn't hurting you at all. Iron and potassium are important. Honestly I think you are fine.

Edited after reading your diary:

Most of your fat, this week, is actually coming from chicken wings and potato chips. The red meat and fish aren't your problem.

Yeah I have had some chips lately, but even when I obstain from then i still go over. For example today, I will most likely end up at 70 g of fat after having dinner.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Yeah I have had some chips lately, but even when I obstain from then i still go over. For example today, I will most likely end up at 70 g of fat after having dinner.

But even so, looking at a 2-3 week trend in your diet... The only times you go SERIOUSLY over your allocated fat, it's because of what I'm going to call "junk food". A goal of 35g of fat is VERY low if you're going to get protein from healthy sources (and I consider any meat to be a healthy source). Adequate protein is going to come with an increase of fat. Your protein/fat ratio is out of balance if you're expecting to get most of your protein from natural sources.
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start Insanity and it recommends 40/40/20 carb/protein/fat. So, I changed my macros to that and tried it today and can't get all of my calories in and stay under the fat. I like to include healthy fats in my diet. They keep you fuller longer than eating low fat! So, I'm changing my ratios back to 40/30/30 (carb/protein/fat). I haven't looked at your diary, but you should be eating good carbs such as whole grains, oatmeal, veggies, and beans.
  • onikonor
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys. I'm starting insanity next week and would like to try to see if their 40/40/20 ratio will work for the first week (will be adding cottage cheese and yogurt to my diet for protein and low fat to see if that helps)

I will try to reduce snacking on chips and substitute with homemade things (won't be easy to give those up though lol).
    I found it really challenging to only eat a little peanut butter daily instead of a few spoonfuls since it's so tasty.

Are canned tuna good for you?
    Should I be avoiding mayo (even olive oil mayo)?
  • secretlobster
    Options

Are canned tuna good for you?
    Should I be avoiding mayo (even olive oil mayo)?

Check the ingredients on olive oil mayo - It does contain olive oil but it's still made with canola oil primarily. It's not actually healthier for you.

Canned tuna is fine a couple of times a week
  • StacyPervis
    Options
    All fat is not the same. Fat from nuts and avocados or natural fat is not the same as eating a high fat hamburger. I go over fat more than anything but it's mostly natural fats from nuts and fish oils. I see nothing negative from it.
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    What are you eating that makes you go over on your fats? If anything I have a hard time getting enough fat into my "diet". I also split my macros into 40/40/20...
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    1. Depends on the goals. What are they?
    2. Where did you get these ratios from?
    3. Ratios are trumped by tracking grams of intake in relation to lean body mass and the type of work/lifestyle performed. . Ratios are the lazy one size fits all in your category quick and dirty way to throw numbers at someone. Non customized numbers. Your intake should be based on you not ratios of one macronutrient to another. Think about it...you'll never have this question again. In your life or have to worry, or simply know how to adjust based on your needs. But if everyone knew that, there'd be no more products to sell. Actually, in regards to comparison to aforementioned methods of grams to bodyweight, and the like, ratios can be dead wrong, useless, or completely reversed based on what someone might actually need. Thus the cycle perpetuates...and we're back to wondering. Why so much wondering when it comes to eating? It's the industry in general. It creates the confusion then gives you a way to deal with it. To only find out later that you're still confused. No doubt you need to buy something to figure it out, or drink a special shake for 90days or water from a tropical plant's large brown seed.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Looks like a good time to cut and paste the status I wrote just before seeing this thread....It goes as such:

A common problem in this field/industry is that people are brainwashed out of reasonability of time. We want it yesterday. We want to undo years of debauchery in a quick 60 day insanity or 90 day p-90. We think in terms of 30/60/90 days...great marketing numbers that represent 1 month, 2 or 3, which is ample time for one to think they can get in shape for some future planned event. Proper weight loss should be almost so slow you have to wonder if it's working. This is of course after you shed a few fast lbs of water your first week or two. What the great tv shows don't tell you is that it's not your metabolism catching up with you and slowing down your weight loss after the "two week mark," it's that you're not losing as much water for quick weight loss that you were losing before, especially if you cut carbs low. You have to trust your calculations. Quit trying to kill your self to lose weight. You don't lose weight with exercise. You lose it the same way you gain it, with food. To arbitrarily gain weight the math can be virtually non existent and loose. To lose it, naturally the math should be tighter. This is why I've been playing with the words Metabolic/Fitness Engineer as business titles. Because it's true.