Lasik?

Options

Replies

• AngieA814
    AngieA814 Posts: 3
    Options
    BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT!! I had mine six or seven years ago and I am still grateful every single day I did it. I wore glasses from the age of two, lenses constantly getting thicker and thicker as I got older. I could wear contacts for a little while but they bothered my eyes (I'm sure I tried every brand out there). I took the leap and would do it again in a heart beat if I ever needed to.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Do it. I went from 20/400 to 20/15.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Best thing ever..I had stigmatisms..fixed my sight 20/15...got it done 6 years or so ago...
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    I want lasik so bad, but my vision gets worse every year. So, I'm assuming if I had the surgery would I still need glasses again in a year? Any one have a similar situation? :sad:
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    I had LASIK done just over ten years ago, and it's a life-changer. How much of a life-changer? All I can say is that my life has been lived since that point as if I have never had an eyesight problem. It's true, however, that there are certain limitations: nighttime vision is marred a bit by excessive glare, and there is an increased sensitivity to onions. :) Quite tolerable sacrifices, if you ask me.

Not everyone is a candidate for the surgery, however. If you are, and you have the funds, go for it. You won't regret it.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I would recommend it. Had mine done about 6 years ago and was told I would still need glasses for reading. I had a few problems with my vision for the first week and eventually needed to get a second treatment on my left eye. I am really glad I went ahead though and have never needed to use reading glasses either.
  • kristank03
    kristank03 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had mine done about 8 months ago and love it! Best decision ever. One friend did describe it as the most terrifying 15 minutes of her life, and I will agree, but I would totally do it again. I haven't had any side effects and my vision is 20/15 now.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I`m loving that all of these are positive! I`m feeling a lot better about this so far! :)
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I want lasik so bad, but my vision gets worse every year. So, I'm assuming if I had the surgery would I still need glasses again in a year? Any one have a similar situation? :sad:

It might depend on how old you are. I wanted to get mine at 22 and the doctor told me to wait because my eyesight could keep changing for a couple of years since our eyes continue to develop until we are around 27.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    I had it in 2005- was so happy for many years. Had to get glasses last year though-is not a permanent fix-but so worth it
  • PDiddy0913
    PDiddy0913 Posts: 65
    Options
    I'm getting LASIK tomorrow. I'm not THAT nervous, but my Dr. asked if I wanted to go with the laser instead of the blade (microkeratome) procedure for $900 more! I am going to get the standard microkeratome procedure for financial reasons. Anyone haver any issue with the blade procedure? From the research I've done, it's just as effective and safe as the "laser-cut" procedure.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i'm getting lasik on july 20th and i'm as excited as i am terrified! i've been wearing glasses for almost 20 years now (since kindergarten) and i feel like they're part of my identity, but like the original poster said, when i put them down, i lose them! at approximately $500 for my lenses (not to mention whatever they feel like charging for the frames), i don't keep a backup set because i can't afford it. in my 23 years on earth, i have never really learned how to swim properly because i can't go in the water without my glasses -- i have a pool in my yard and i live on a freakin' island, but i can't swim!! i'm excited to finally be able to see without relying on these overpriced pieces of plastic and i am happy to see that you all have had good results!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I got it done last year. I only needed one eye and it was the best decision I have ever made. I freed up five pounds in my luggage just by getting a $2,500 procedure done LOL!

You will need to go for an evaluation to make sure you're actually a candidate because not everyone is. If your prescription is constantly changing you might not be a candidate.

However. . . if you ARE a candidate then I highly recommend getting it done. Like I said, it was the best decision I have ever made.

I don't know where you're from but if you have a TLC Lasik Center around you go there. That's where I got mine done and as long as I keep up with my yearly eye exams (which why wouldn't I?!) if anything happens and I need a 'touch up' the price will be significantly less because it's a life time guarantee.

If you don't have TLC Center make sure you do your research and don't go to someone based on price because you WILL get what you pay for. There's a place where I live that advertises on the radio all the time (TLC has NO ads. My eye dr. recommended them) and all the radio personalities have gotten their eyes done there, they video taped it etc. and I worked with people who went there to get it done and had to go back for follow up touch ups.

Any way, the short answer is if you're a candidate DO IT.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I had Lasik back in 2008, and it's been awesome. I haven't even needed an eye exam in the last 4 years, let alone any more corrections (I get free Lasik for life if I become nearsighted again).

I was pretty nervous during the actual procedure, but it wasn't too bad. After the surgery is done, you're wearing extremely dark sunglasses, your vision is very blurry (you'll need a ride home), and are told to go home and take a nap for several hours right away. Much of the healing takes place in those first few hours of sleep; when you wake up, the blurriness is basically gone, and you just have to deal with dry eyes and glare from bright lights for a while.

They'll give you antibiotic eye drops to take on a schedule, and rewetting drops to use as needed (and you will need them a LOT for the first week or so). You need to wear protective goggles when you sleep for a little while, so you don't rub your eyes by mistake until flap is completely healed shut. Much like when you wear contacts, you may be sensitive to bright sunlight or headlights when night driving afterward; always have sunglasses handy during the day. That passed for me within a few months, but I believe they said that some people maintain the sensitivity to light for much longer.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I have extremely bad eyesight (I can't find my glasses if they get moved while they're off because I wont see them)... I've been switching between glasses and contacts for years and have been considering lasik.

Has anyone here done it? What was your experience?
    DO IT! I got it done and now only need glasses for reading signs when I drive. Wish I would have done it years ago.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I had PRK, my eyesight was too bad for Lasik, I love it, went from 20/-750 to 20/15. Slightly painful but well worth it. No side effects after recovering.
  • SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    Options
    I had it done round 10-12 years ago and my vision is still 20-20 (or darn near close to it)...BEST THING I EVER DID!!!

I was like you, couldn't see 6 inches in front of my face without my glasses or contacts in. I was generally successful with contacts but they were a pain-- I recommend you do it ASAP!!....also I have 4 siblings who also got it done....only one had a complication with the flap healing incorrectly and needing to have a follow up surgery to correct...she is fine now.

It is a freaky thing--you need to focus your gaze on a spot. You see the machine come over your eye and then it does the slice--you lose your vision in that eye for a little bit (at least that is what happened to me...cant remember if I could see while the zapping was goign on or not...may have been just when the slice was made). Smell like burning hair while they do it. The worse your vision is the longer it take/more zaps to correct...but we are talking seconds....I did feel pressure/an uncomfortable sensation when they did my first eye but nothing when they did my second. Some doctors prescribe valium before the procedure...mine would give it as an option---I did not take one. Could be that the process has changed a bit but I would think it is still somewhat as I described above...Good luck!!

as mentioned above, I am a little light sensitive still, and still have some "halos" around lights at night...they warned me I may experience this because apparently I have large pupils and that makes you more likely to experience this (so they told me)...a reputable place will run you through a lot of tests and let you know what the best options are for your vision :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Bump

I've seriously been considering this as well. I hate wearing glasses, I feel like they hide the true beauty in my eyes which is why I refuse to take photo's with them on. I am thinking about getting contacts just so I don't have to wear these frames, but I hate putting them in my eyes lol.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I had Lasik (PRK to be more exact) in 2003. I wore glasses and contacts my entire life and they never seemed to be great. I had bad migraines and my eyes would be irritated b/c of allergies. When I signed up to have the surgery, they also told me about Punctal Plugs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctal_plug). I was nervous at first b/c there were so many people coming back for a 2nd surgery. What they told me was basically the $199 special you see in the news paper is a baseline surgery with a cheap laser (for lack of a more technical description). There were better options available as well as a lifetime warranty. I opted to spend more now, instead of coming back later. But the good news is if I ever have any problems with site for the rest of my life, I can go back in and get it corrected for free. The surgery lasted 3 minutes. I also got permanent punctal plugs installed too. Today I can see crystal clear (far better than when I wore contacts) and b/c of the plugs, I still have allergies, but my eyes never get irritated!
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hands down the best thing I have ever done for myself. I didn't realize what a burden having poor eyesight really was until after my procedure. I have 20/15 vision now, and aside from a little dryness, my eyes are perfect! I will gladly swap poor eyesight for dryness anyday! Don't even think twice about the money, you can't put a price on sight!