Not all exercise counts....

Options
Found an interesting article with some useful info on exercise...

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1209

Replies

• McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    That was an interesting article and I pretty much agree with all of it.
  • ChelieChristine
    ChelieChristine Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great article! I am wondering, are those of you that are losing eating some of the calories you burn (earn) during exercise or are you sticking with your base recommendation for calorie consumption regardless of calories burned.
  • Lisammy
    Lisammy Posts: 35
    Options
    Good stuff!! I have noticed the closer I get to my goal, the less calories I burn doing the same exercises. I have to really push myself out of my comfort zone in order to burn the same calories I did a couple months ago. I'm a big believer in using a heart rate monitor...otherwise you never really know how hard your body is working, or if you are in your "fat burning zone" :wink: Weight loss truly is a lifestyle, lifelong change....there is not magic pill or shake that's gonna get your there.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    Great article! I am wondering, are those of you that are losing eating some of the calories you burn (earn) during exercise or are you sticking with your base recommendation for calorie consumption regardless of calories burned.

sometimes I allow myself to go a bit over as a cushion...but never all..
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.

While he writes this: "One workout may not undo a sedentary lifestyle." I wonder if someone with an active job like a postal carrier that burns the same amount of calories throughout the day as an office worker that works out for an hour every day is in a better position to lose weight/stay healthy.

Also, I think it's important to reiterate the last point that he made that if you strength train, you should change up your workouts a little. He wrote you should do it so you don't get bored, which is probably a good reason, but your muscles actually do get conditioned to certain exercises and they will use as little energy as possible to complete those exercises. Even something as simple as changing your grip (like switching to hammer curls) every once in a while can keep your body from conditioning itself to the lifting.
  • JessicaCBranch
    JessicaCBranch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this whole article. Thanks for posting
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    good info
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Great article. Thank you
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    "Muscle Memory is your friend ..." Not. Said by a fried of my mine who danced on broadway. Dancers pray for muscle memory to kick in so that they can dance through a show without gasping for breath while walkign off state; however, as a means for fitness, Muscle Memory is your enemy.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

99% of the time, I eat back all of the calories that I burn. That said, I go by what my HRM (Polar FT4) says, not some estimate from the machine or MFP - there is a difference...

MFP sets you up with a deficit based on your personal info and your activity level. If you burn calories and don't eat at least some of them back, you're adding to that deficit which can be detrimental to your health and weight loss goals. Make sure you're fueling "the machine" properly!

ETA: OP, thanks for sharing the article - good facts!