High Heart Rate Question?

Options
Jodi_83
Jodi_83 Posts: 44 Member
So I have a bit of a strange questions regarding heart rate - I recently starting using my Garmin heart rate monitor a lot – and my heart rate is incredibly high (when exercising I sit between 175-200)

1. Will my high heart rate stop me from losing weight (logically I think, if I am exercising regardless of always being in the “cardio zone” I should still lose weight)
2. Is this normal? How do I get it lower? – as it doesn’t seem continued exercising is doing anything?

Additional information :

I’m currently a higher weight than I have ever been before (76kgs, BMI just putting me in the overweight category). This is about 10kgs higher than my previous highest weight – (backpacking for 2 months, followed by moving to London wasn’t great for the waist line) but effectively in 12 months I’ve gained 10kgs.
My father had a heart attack at the end of last year, from what was determined was a hereditary heart condition that causes calcification of the heart (although more prevalent in males) (I’m not sure if the stress of this makes my heart beat faster - or if that is even possible)

Ok so now, I exercise a lot (not losing weight I think is a lot more to my diet than lack of exercise), probably 3- 5 times a week, and have for the last 6 months. So I wouldn’t say I was unfit.

But my heart rate when exercising is really high.
(with in 5 minutes on the cross trainer at the gym, I sit at around 174 bpm for the rest of the workout, if I run/jog, it will sit between 190-200) when resting, it drops to around 70-75.

Replies

• novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Please take my comment with a grain of salt as I am not a medical doctor.

Your resting heart rate sounds fine. Your heart is just a muscle. If you work it out it gets stronger and pumps more blood per contraction ie. Lowers your heart rate. Genetics play a part in how high your heart rate goes.

How do you feel when your heart rate is 175+? Are you feeling an acid burn in your muscles? If you can still keep your breath at that rate it's probably ok. However I would recommend a doctors visit if you can swing it, just to make sure your heart is ok.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I am the same way...My heart rate is great while resting but goes about as high as yours during lifting, cardio, even walking at times...I am scared to jog that is for sure!! I have quite a bit of heart disease and heart attacks in my family too...I am actually in the process of having my heart checked out b/c of irregular heart rate at times...You may want to do the same just to make sure all is well with you....I am less stressed now that I know SO FAR that nothing is wrong but will get the official results next Monday...

I really think it aids in weight loss b/c getting your heart rate up is what burns those calories so I have always thought of it as a good thing and my doctor said that it shows that your heart is strong unless your heart rate stays up at rest too...Mine also stays up quite a while after my workout is over but I take this as I am still burning some good calories during this time as well - Even though I don't log that part of it - I just think of it as a bonus!!

At least I hope I am right on this b/c I am having trouble losing as well - It is very slow going but I know that my diet is not so great either....

ETA: When I had my stress test the other day it took me less than 3 minutes to get my heart rate to the rate they were looking for to put stress on my heart which is not that common for it to take that little bit of time....They didn't say this was bad though so I hope it's not...I would definitely get checked out if you feel like somethings not right...Best of luck!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    With your family history, I would recommend talking to your doctor about this. This is not a question for random strangers on the internet to answer for you.
  • freckledspitfire
    Options
    I would agree I would talk to a doctor. My heart rate was really high for a long time. It ended up being a problem with my thyroid. My thyroid affected my cholesterol and so the ball keeps rolling.

In essences once everything was in alignment my pulse and blood pressure went back to normal.

If they test make sure they do all the testing for thyroid not just TSH and T4.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you!
  • Jodi_83
    Options
    Yeh I'm quite anti doctors (probably because I'm a hypochondriac) and know I should go to put myself at ease.

But generally my muscles feel fine all the time - no burn / struggle. But I more feel like I can't breathe / out of breathe when it's high.
  • Jodi_83
    Options
    With your family history, I would recommend talking to your doctor about this. This is not a question for random strangers on the internet to answer for you.

Yeh I know I know. Guess I was hoping for the easy "yeh that's normally" response haha.
  • Jodi_83
    Options
    I am the same way...My heart rate is great while resting but goes about as high as yours during lifting, cardio, even walking at times...I am scared to jog that is for sure!! I have quite a bit of heart disease and heart attacks in my family too...I am actually in the process of having my heart checked out b/c of irregular heart rate at times...You may want to do the same just to make sure all is well with you....I am less stressed now that I know SO FAR that nothing is wrong but will get the official results next Monday...

I really think it aids in weight loss b/c getting your heart rate up is what burns those calories so I have always thought of it as a good thing and my doctor said that it shows that your heart is strong unless your heart rate stays up at rest too...Mine also stays up quite a while after my workout is over but I take this as I am still burning some good calories during this time as well - Even though I don't log that part of it - I just think of it as a bonus!!

At least I hope I am right on this b/c I am having trouble losing as well - It is very slow going but I know that my diet is not so great either....

ETA: When I had my stress test the other day it took me less than 3 minutes to get my heart rate to the rate they were looking for to put stress on my heart which is not that common for it to take that little bit of time....They didn't say this was bad though so I hope it's not...I would definitely get checked out if you feel like somethings not right...Best of luck!!

Oh I hope your test results are fine!! Good luck!! I probably should just book into a doctors appointment
  • Jodi_83
    Options
    I would agree I would talk to a doctor. My heart rate was really high for a long time. It ended up being a problem with my thyroid. My thyroid affected my cholesterol and so the ball keeps rolling.

In essences once everything was in alignment my pulse and blood pressure went back to normal.

If they test make sure they do all the testing for thyroid not just TSH and T4.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you!

Oh I might mention that!! Thanks!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    See a doctor and have the ticker checked out. You're probably fine but the heart is the one thing you DO NOT WANT to mess around with. Doc will probably want to do a little bloodwork and maybe an EKG to make sure your body is ready for the stress levels you are putting on it.

If you get a clean bill of health, then you can exercise right up until you can't exercise no more, though I like to stay at about the "max cardio" level (for me, about 150BPM or less scientifically just at the point where I can still hold a conversation but not necessarily a complete sentence at a time).
  • brooke432
    brooke432 Posts: 17
    Options
    You sound like me! My heart rate jumps up really high and stays there. I can breathing comfortably when my heart rate is in the 165-170 range. It's the range I enjoy working out in. My max is about 186, I can workout for about two mins then I need to rest. When I stop or slow down, my heart rate drops very quickly. My recovery time is under 2 min.

However, I think the others are right. Get everything checked out by a doctor to be on the safe side. Had an EKG a couple of years ago, all normal. My thyroid was checked a couple of months ago, also normal. Hopefully all your test come back normal as well. Best of luck with everything :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I find my heart rate goes up to about 145-155 when jogging/running at 7mph. and a little higher when on the elliptical.
    When cycling, however, I noted it went up to 92% of my max when going up longer hills, so around 170-173. I get out of breath and it takes a time to catch my breath when it hits that high, but I figure it should be okay since I have been doing those same hills for the last year.

I do tend to worry a little though when I go over 85% of max on my hrm even if I feel okay.
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My first inclination is always that the hr monitor isn't working properly. Every once in a while mine will jump up more than normal and I have to adjust the band/ wet the contacts. However, if you take your pulse manually and verify it really is as high as 200. I would be curious what your resting HR is. When I started back working out my resting rate was as high as the 80s. Now it is usually under 60bpm.
    Agree though that your doc should be consulted but probably normal and just listen to your body for fatigue- difficulty breathing, etc. I'm sure it will come down over time.
    Good on you for starting & yes working that heart will burn calories but the real results come when we monitor what we eat. I'm certainly not talking about deprivation. First of all is just logging and knowing how many calories we are consuming. Then after that is when we realize you can't keep the amount in line if it's all fast food and chips and cookies. I still eat anything I want- just less of it.
    Sorry if that sounds preachy- just trying to save you a step it took me over a year to learn :)
  • Jodi_83
    Options
    Just an update - I finally booked in to see the doctor - she's not concerned about my exercise heart rate (and says it's probably that I'm working harder than I was say 3 months ago - so while I'm getting fitter my heart rate is staying the same)- and was happy with my resting heart rate and blood pressure (I don't think these are the same - but for all I know they could be)

Got blood tests for cholesterol / thyroid / blood sugar - so if nothing else it makes me feel a bit better about the heart rate while exercising. and see what the results for the other things come back with.

Definitely trying harder to focus on what I eat - and tracking it at least to get a better idea of how my weight is sitting and why I'm not losing weight