Nursing mom

Options
:smile: I'm brand new here on mfp. Just wondering if there is any moms on here that are nursing. Would like to know what is the safe way to loose weight while doing this.

Replies

• almom23
    almom23 Posts: 4
    Options
    hello, i am nursing too! i had lost about 20lbs of the 30lbs i gained during pregnancy...and now the weight is creeping back up! i'm not a happy camper!!! lol

this is my 1st time nursing, so i have no idea how to 'diet' while nursing? hoping someone with experience will help us out?
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am nursing also!!! I would pay attention to your supply and the number of calories you are eating. I have lost 10 lbs in 19 weeks, but I had noticed that my supply was declining due to my low calorie intake. Personally, I'd rather be 10lbs overweight than have to buy formula.
  • aleatha5
    aleatha5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm also nursing an older baby (11 months) and really trying to get to below my pre-pregnancy weight from my first pregnancy (I'm at my pre-preg weight from this baby already). First, do you know that on MFP you add breastfeeding as a food? You can just type it in to your food search and it will subtract the cals/carbs/protein you burn from BFing. Second, set your goals to be moderate because it can hurt your supply if you lose too fast. Also, whenever you lose fat that weight coming off releases some toxins into your system and if you lose too fast those toxins will be higher and might go through your milk. (Just read that on babycenter today -- I hadn't known about that aspect of it before).

Feel free to add me! I am trying to get back into MFP and be really good. Congrats on your little one!
  • MichelleAZD
    Options
    I'm a nursing mom too. I was told to factor in at least 300 calories extra for the milk production. Although I didn't know that on this system we can enter nursing. That is awesome. I have just completed one year nursing and in that time I lost and put back on all my pregnancy weight. I would really like to get back down to my pre-preg weight before we try for baby #2. Thanks for the info!