Ladies, Help? Sorry if TMI...

Options
So, I haven't gotten my monthly visit from aunt flow since march I have PCOS so it's expected..
I'm really trying to fix this problem myself without birthcontrol, i'd rather not do that. So far I've lost 16lbs, but still pretty heavy! I remember when I was at about 180lbs, I had my period on schedule every month, so I'm sure when I get low enough it will come back..

I was just wondering if anyone else with PCOS has had this problem and has gotten onto a regular cycle from losing weight?

Replies

• hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Mine was regular until a year ago when it became full blown PCOS (every awful symptom) and since being on mfp it has been coming back after being absent for many months. I am trying to lose to regulate my insulin and hormones too. I feel you girlie! We can do this xoxo
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of forum topics on this if you want to search the subject. In case not a lot of people reply.

Hope everything works out! Congrats on the loss so far!
  • ladewig26351
    Options
    I'm not sure if I have Pcos, but my periods are all wacky now that I gained weight as well. I have researched and it tends to happen in overweight people. My sister has Pcos and as soon as she started losing weight, she got pregnant :) So, I'm pretty sure it will go back to normal when you get back to the weight that you need to be. :) Here's to hoping!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    So, I haven't gotten my monthly visit from aunt flow since march I have PCOS so it's expected..
    I'm really trying to fix this problem myself without birthcontrol, i'd rather not do that. So far I've lost 16lbs, but still pretty heavy! I remember when I was at about 180lbs, I had my period on schedule every month, so I'm sure when I get low enough it will come back..

I was just wondering if anyone else with PCOS has had this problem and has gotten onto a regular cycle from losing weight?

I hadn't had a period in years without the help of BC. After dropping some weight, however, I did have one last June completely without meds. I haven't had one since then, but I've just recently started taking Metformin. So I'm hoping that between that, and losing more weight, I'll get back on track. I wouldn't go on hormone therapy until you've been at your goal weight for a while and you still aren't having periods. I HATE the way I feel when I'm on BC.

Edited to add: I've been suffering from PCOS since I was sixteen, and I'm now 35. I have about as bad a case as anyone can get, but I'm not about to give up hope. It CAN be done, and I refuse to quit!
  • raitch
    raitch Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It has made a HUGE difference for me. Back in the day I was getting AF every 2 or 3 months, totally at random. I wasn't ovulating, had to use fertility meds when TTCing, etc. Anyway now that I've lost a good chunk of weight I have a cycle every 31-40 or so days. It's still not perfect, and I still can't imagine the clockwork that "normal" women have, but this tells me that I *am* ovulating.

I'm not on Metformin or any PCOS meds.
  • angie_sample
    angie_sample Posts: 190
    Options
    When i first started i was 263 and hadnt had a period in a year. i got down to 230 and i started getting periods again. Now im at 186 and i get them very regularly i have exactly 29 day cycles. Everyone is different and depending on how bad ur PCOS is will effect when/if ur periods come back regularly. I have tried MANY different birth controls and would have a constant period for months while i was on them. Birth control doesnt fix PCOS it just masks the symptoms. Metformin is a med for diabetes but it seems to really help women with PCOS and its on the $4 prescription plan at walmart. Keep exercising it can only help ur PCOS. There is some research i've read about going gluten free helps some women with PCOS and i've heard of women going dairy free and this helping there PCOS. Good luck!! :)
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    I have pcos I actually only have one tube and ovary left they removed one at the same time that I had my first c-section. My periods were spaced very far apart and I didn't mind actually... But, now that I've lost a little weight the past two have been on a regular cycle and both have been horrible (on it right now and super weird hormone fluctuations keep happening!) I guess I don't remember what it's like to go through it I guess, but my hormones are so out of whack that I have panic attacks and get super depressed have body aches and extreme tiredness my skin will feel like it's on fire major bloating all around my period. Boo. I hope as I lose more my body will quit flippin out on me, it's quite annoying. Hope everything evens out for you fast.
  • bexy_27
    bexy_27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    There's this herbal tea that works really well to help regulate periods. I'm not sure how well it works if you have PCOS, but it might be worth a try. The brand is Yogi and it's their Women's Moon Cycle tea. I used it to get myself back on a natural schedule after coming off of the pill. It worked so well that for over a year, I ovulated with the full moon and got my period with the new moon. Weird, huh? I had one late one that threw things off, but I'm almost back on track.
  • tuiccim
    tuiccim Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    According to my OBGYN, 99% of PCOS related menstrual dysfunction is resolved when a body returns to a normal BMI.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    Yes! It can be done. I've had PCOS since I was 16 (or at least that's when I started getting symptoms) So far I've lost 45 pounds and my last ultra sound showed no cysts, and my cycles regulated, still longer cycles 32 to 35 days, and the excess hair growth has decreased. Diet and exercise is the most effective and long term treatment for PCOS and no side effects, except weight loss :) I still have about 25 pounds to go, so I am hoping any residual symptoms and issues (PMS headaches, intermittent cramping, hormonal skin break outs) will decrease when I lose more.
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    uh...WHY IS NOT HAVING A PERIOD A PROBLEM? I'd love not having one ever!
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago when I was trying to conceive my second child. I tried everything I could to get pregnant and that was really impossible since I was barely having periods. My doc would give me medicine to make me have a period. I was already overweight but with all the drugs I was on, I got even heavier. I shot up to 228lbs!! I gave up and decided to get healthy and joined Weight Watchers. I lost 50lbs in less than 8 months and my periods became regular and the very week I lost the 50lbs, I found out I was pregnant!! I continued to get healthier after my son was born and lost more weight. My periods became so regular, every 28 days! I then wanted a 3rd child and without trying very hard, I became pregnant again :) Hang in there and keep going. Your PCOS will be a thing of the past before you know it!!
  • KPBlake
    KPBlake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies ladies, hubby and I trying to hav our first baby, but my periods aren't coming like they should, seeing all these posts that losing weight has brought them on has given me hope!
  • Leigh2778
    Leigh2778 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 6 years ago (at age 28), but I think it was present long before then. I don't think I've had a "normal" (non-medicated) cycle since I was 14 or 15! I did lose a bunch of weight years ago, but that didn't regulate my cycle. It was *better*, but it still wasn't regular. Right now, I'm on Metformin and I've had more normal-ish cycles the last few months (I've been on Metformin for over a year, though, so it took awhile).
    I think, basically, follow doctor's orders, eat well, exercise, try to lose weight and your symptoms should improve. I'm hoping that weight loss, along with the Metformin, will ease my symptoms, anyway.
    Good luck!
  • angie_sample
    angie_sample Posts: 190
    Options
    uh...WHY IS NOT HAVING A PERIOD A PROBLEM? I'd love not having one ever!

if u want to have a baby its a problem... even if ur not tryign to get pregnant not having a period makes u constantly wonder if ur pregnant.