macros?

Options
I've been on MFP for a few months now and I have lost 10lbs so far, but I've noticed its coming off slower and slower (don't know if macros will even help with this). I have seen people talking about their macros (example: 40 40 20) how do I figure out what my macros are or what would work for me?

I am 5`3
180lbs
set to loose 1lb a week
I don't know what else is needed to know but I eat fairly clean and work out with 30DS and my stationary bike mainly but have been doing more strength and cardio when I have the opportunity to do so :)

Replies

• becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to tell with your diary closed. : )
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    macros them selves will have very little impact on weight loss, but can help determine the amount of fat vs lean mass loss. If you don't get adequate protein you will lose more lean muscle than if you did get enough. It is suggested to aim for 0.8 to 1.0 grams per lb of lean body mass. If you don't know your BF% you can aim for 0.7 to 0.8 grams per lb of goal weight. Then you can workout the % that would be based on your caloric intake. Fat % should be in the range of 20-30%. the remainder can be all carbs or a combo of more fat or protein and carbs.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a few months now and I have lost 10lbs so far, but I've noticed its coming off slower and slower (don't know if macros will even help with this). I have seen people talking about their macros (example: 40 40 20) how do I figure out what my macros are or what would work for me?

I am 5`3
    180lbs
    set to loose 1lb a week
    I don't know what else is needed to know but I eat fairly clean and work out with 30DS and my stationary bike mainly but have been doing more strength and cardio when I have the opportunity to do so :)

I know when my wife does the jillian workouts, she doesn't lose much if anything for actual poundage, but she drops inches off her hips, waist, thighs ect. so even though the scale doesn't move, she looks fantastic. I can't really reccomend a macro percentage though. Just wanted to offer the first bit so maybe you won't be so discouraged.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I doubt getting hung up on your macros will help you much. Weight loss is purely dependent on energy in vs energy out, watching macros is more for total health reasons.

If you've been going for a few months, you may be entering your first plateau. There are several methods to try to shake through it faster - look up caloric zig-zagging, you can also try switching up what you eat, switching up frequency and type of exercise etc.

I'd also suggest recalculating your calorie allowance to account for the 10lbs you've lost. A smaller you needs slightly less calories than the you a few months ago. It's possible that you are now eating close to maintenance instead of for 1lb per week loss.

Also recheck your habits. Did you measure food accurately and diligently at first but since have started to guesstimate more... it happens to us all. Make a new commitment to measure accurately.

Finally, stay off the scales for a few weeks. Use tape measure or photos instead. The scale can be awfully frustrating when in a plateau period.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, I mainly just didn't know what macros were or what they helped with. I think i'm doing pretty well so far and if I don't need to figure those out then I wont bother with it (yay less math! more weightloss and health!)

I appreciate it everyone!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Quickest debrief ever:

Macros are "macronutrients". There are three of them: Fat, Carbohydrate and Protein.

You can adjust the percentages between the three depending on whatever health philosophy you personally subscribe to. People who feel carbs are unhealthy might go 30% carb/30% fat/40% protein, people who are scared of fat might go 60% carb/20% fat/20% protein. People looking for moderation in all things might go 33/33/33.

There is no fixed scientific consensus on the perfect macro balance. So you have to do your own research, figure out your own beliefs, apply them, and hope you don't spontaneously combust or something.

Hope that helps!
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I surely will do everything in my power not to spontaneous combust!! thanks very much!