Calories - Burned VS Eaten

Options
Hello Everyone!
My friend and I just started counting out calories on here. I love the site and am already noticing a change in not only paying attention to what I eat, but how often and how I feel - GREAT! WOO!
Ok here's my confusion. I am supposed to eat 1200 calories a day. If I eat my 1200 calories and I work out this site shows that I have remaining calories to eat. I am honestly not hungry to eat more than the 1200 and I don't understand how eating the calories I just burned is going to help me to lose weight - it seems like it would sustain my current weight.

Thoughts?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    bit of a FAQ - the calorie deficit you require to lose weight is built into the 1200, excluding exercise. If you add exercise it adds food to preserve the original deficit. If you don't eat more you create a bigger deficit.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The number they give you is designed for you to lose weight. The number they give you is less than your "sustaining" number, so that's why you will still lose weight if you eat back the calories you exercise.

If you feel constantly full and like you don't want to eat anymore, you should change your diet to include items with more calories that are less filling.
  • sjsteffan
    sjsteffan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much! I have been racking my brain at this!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    First up, you're not supposed to eat 1200 calories a day. That's the bare minimum goal allowed, which means you've chosen a weight loss rate that is too aggressive. I suspect you've currently got it set to 2 lbs/week. It's most likely going to be closer to 1.75 lbs/week for this reason.

To address your concern, it's purely mental. You don't gain 45 pounds by eating 1200 calories or less a day. If you could do it then, you can do it now. You're not going to throw up or otherwise have any negative effects so long as you stay under your daily goal.

Your question about exercise calories is addressed in the "sticky" threads at the top. The key there is to make sure not to overestimate your calories burned (which is much more difficult than logging your calories consumed).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That's the bare minimum goal allowed, which means you've chosen a weight loss rate that is too aggressive.
    You get 1200 if your TDEE estimate is 1700 and you specify 1 lb/week loss. 1700 sedentary = 1420 BMR so not necessarily too aggressive.
  • sjsteffan
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic website suggested 1200 calorie intake too - after I inputted my height,age, and weight.
    My only confusion was on eating more calories after exercising - now that also makes sense.

Thank you all!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see someone go outside this site and find real, authoritative advice, and take it! Good for you.

1200 is fine. If it wasn't the calculator floor would be higher.
  • sjsteffan
    Options
    Thank you!