Pre Gym snack

Options
I joined the gym last night and did my first workout this morning before work. I got to the gym at 6:15 and knew I needed a snack before working out but it was too early for breakfast for me. I stopped and got a NutriGrain bar on the way but the sugar and calories in those are too high for the amount eaten I think. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can eat before working out that early in the morning that isn't just going to energize me with sugars? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Cliff Energy Bars are my favorite. They are full of great vitamins.

You could just have a piece of wheat toast with some peanut butter on it though as well.
  • jazzyjules2004
    jazzyjules2004 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try half of a protein shake before and after your workout. It usually has the the right combination of fats, proteins and sugars to give you a boost. :smile:

Good luck!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I eat a small banana (its Natural)!!!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I just eat an apple, orange or banana.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i usually eat a apple or banana. but lately i have been wondering if that is the right thing? i would be interested to see what other chose to eat prior to working out.
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    Speaking of apples, I was told they were good in the mornings and give you more energy than a cup of coffee.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Speaking of apples, I was told they were good in the mornings and give you more energy than a cup of coffee.

Coffee has essentially no calories (it's the creamer, sugar...etc that has the calories).

Apples are good for a pre-workout meal, but not because they will give you any kind of a boost, but they'll keep your stomach from acting up on you. You'd probably need to eat an apple well in advance of working out to see any energy differences.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. You have been a help, I think tomorrow I will stick with a fruit then.
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Hi MkWrose, mix nuts and seeds are great I forget the brand name but there in the vending machine college haha they have them with yogurt. I think there sunshine or something alone those lines.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I usually eat a small amount of oatmeal... works great for me :wink:
  • lisahabbe
    lisahabbe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat a pear or apple before going to my bootcamp class in the mornings 5am! my trainer says it's a great option before workout! GOOD LUCK! Stay Strong!
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    I like to have a smoothie before working out early morning, before I have breakfast.

I'll usually blend 1 cup of fresh strawberries, 1 cup of vanilla almond milk and 1 scoop of women protein powder. This sums up to 200 calories, 23g carbs and 17g proteins. Plus, it tastes good :)

Here is some interesting info about pre/post training snacks and meals:
    http://www.turbokick.com/index.php?content=Article_Pre_And_Post_Workout_Meals_F
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    A banana works great for me!
  • atcgrrb8
    Options
    BANANAS
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Well this morning I tried the banana and it made me feel slightly sick but maybe tomorrow morning I will try to eat it a bit earlier (don't know if i can get up any earlier though)
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Well this morning I tried the banana and it made me feel slightly sick but maybe tomorrow morning I will try to eat it a bit earlier (don't know if i can get up any earlier though)

try just 1/2 if you can't eat sooner.