Barefoot Zumba?

Options
Anybody ever done this? Or seen anyone else doing it?

I've noticed I have more energy (or just seem lighter on my feet) when I dance barefoot, and was wondering if this might help in Zumba?

Thoughts? (Feel free to laugh at me, I know it sounds crazy!) :laugh:

Replies

• Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We did a class where the floor was new and our runners stuck and we were advised to go barefoot...
  • Leahh999
    Leahh999 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just did that yesterday! Lol, and yes, I seemed lighter on my feet, but I have abnormally high arches and today my feet do not love me. In summary, if you need arch support keep your shoes on :bigsmile:
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it at home?
    Doing it at home on hardwood floors might be hard, do it in socks. However if you are doing it on carpet do it barefoot. Your foot will slide better bare.

At a class...well there might be rules against that..Just check
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Well yeah, I meant in a class, lol. If I was at home I'd do it any ol' way I felt like :tongue: I'll check tonight to make sure they allow it.

I *do* have very high arches, that might be a problem. But I swear I trip over my own feet with shoes on and I'm much more "graceful" barefoot. I think I might get a better workout.
  • chi18
    chi18 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A girl in the class I go to did this last week. I think it would be painful the next day without any arch support. If you're tripping over your shoes maybe try wearing different sneakers to class? I wear cross-trainers and they're very light and breathable, not clunky so they don't get in my way.
  • peasantgirly
    Options
    A girl in the class I go to did this last week. I think it would be painful the next day without any arch support. If you're tripping over your shoes maybe try wearing different sneakers to class? I wear cross-trainers and they're very light and breathable, not clunky so they don't get in my way.

I have 2 pairs of good sneakers, and one pair is way better than the other for Zumba, but neither compares to how I feel barefoot. I can't justify buying a third pair. Honestly, I go barefoot whenever possible so I'm hoping my feet are a little tougher than than average joe. I'll try it tonight and if they hurt tomorrow then I'll have my answer, lol.

My next shoe splurge is going to be on Vibrams. That might be the way to go.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have high arches and developed plantar faciitis from doing high impact aerobic dance and and other dance without sufficient arch support (wearing both regular sneakers and jazz shoes, never barefoot). While it may feel great at first, zumba-like dancing without the proper support can cause problems later, and according to my sports podiatrist, doing high impact activities barefoot is the worst, fun as it may be. There are lots of sneakers out there that have good arch support and are very light. If you're tripping over your feet, it's just a matter of dancing enough times in those sneakers until you get used to it. You can also get inserts for your shoes that have arch support. AND -- try it barefoot. You may never develop problems. But if your feet, knees, hips, back start to ache, start wearing supportive shoes.

Oh, and for me -- I always wear sneakers in a class. Alas, sometimes your feet do get stepped on.
  • Tarah904
    Tarah904 Posts: 20
    Options
    I do the Zumba DVD's at home and I've only ever done it barefoot (on carpet) I feel like I move around better and definitely feel lighter on my feet! :)
  • jai163
    jai163 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    it doesnt sound crazy lots of people feel more engery when the start dancing but when you dance barefoot you have more engery because you lighter on your feet its normal to feel the way you do :) hope tihis helped xxx
  • peasantgirly
    Options
    I have high arches and developed plantar faciitis from doing high impact aerobic dance and and other dance without sufficient arch support (wearing both regular sneakers and jazz shoes, never barefoot). While it may feel great at first, zumba-like dancing without the proper support can cause problems later, and according to my sports podiatrist, doing high impact activities barefoot is the worst, fun as it may be. There are lots of sneakers out there that have good arch support and are very light. If you're tripping over your feet, it's just a matter of dancing enough times in those sneakers until you get used to it. You can also get inserts for your shoes that have arch support. AND -- try it barefoot. You may never develop problems. But if your feet, knees, hips, back start to ache, start wearing supportive shoes.

Oh, and for me -- I always wear sneakers in a class. Alas, sometimes your feet do get stepped on.

I don't think it's a matter of practice - because one pair of sneakers is much better than the other - so I think it's just that those shoes are intended for running and not jumping around :tongue:

I've been doing zumba for 2 months now and it's not getting any better. It's not like I can't do it in those shoes (either pair), it's just that it occurred to me this morning that if the one pair was better than the other, then maybe barefoot would be even better than both.

I did actually think about getting stepped on. It hasn't happened yet, but I'd hate to be barefoot if it did!

What about people that run barefoot? They say it's actually *better* for your feet....I think it's supposed to make your arches stronger?