Mixed messages, and so very confused.

Options

Replies

• Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You have to just figure out what works for you and apply it.

But, I don't know what works best for me...that's why I posted this...I said I was confused, and wish I knew what was best for me. I want to try and lose faster, but it scares me because it hurts some people...yet others have no problems with it...I wish I knew which type of person I was.
    Trial and error
  • thejen75
    thejen75 Posts: 90
    Options
    I don't know what the right way is but I have been losing very slowly. I have been actively trying for almost a year and am at 31 lbs lost. I have donE quick weight loss before and seem to gain it back easier when I go that route.

I'm right with you - a little over a year, and 31 lbs lost - It's all about the person, I guess - you try things out, and see what works for you. everyone is unique.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It can be very confusing, I understand. Though, for me, I study, research and read a lot on health, fitness, training and weight loss so I have the best knowledge base I can have.

~EvenKeel is absolutely right. It is personal and something you will have to hone through trial and error.

~Study, google, whatever it takes to learn more about this stuff. Learn the terms and abriviations that are commonly used and how the metabolism works. its 100% worth your time to do. It will make for LASTING success :happy:

BEST OF LUCK!

Thanks..I have studied all this stuff, and it still confuses me, because there are still a ton of people who eat way below BMR and say they CAN'T eat at their BMR or they GAIN...they are adamant about it, saying they have tried it and it didn't work for them. It just makes me wonder if they can do it, can I? I don't know, and I just get so scared. I am tired of being fat. I just want to find the best and healthiest way. I kind of wonder if I can do it the way I see others doing it, but if I even try to eat below 1500 I am a nutcase (more than usual), so I don't see how I could eat 1200 or less a day...with my weight, I get told a lot that I could shoot for 2 lbs a week and be okay, and I was losing that or more in a week, eating a pretty big calorie amount in a day...but if I could lose even more, it would be even better.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight several times. I have done low fat, low carb, nutrition shakes, 1000 calories or less etc. I have gained it back every time. Just because these diets work, doesn't mean that the weight will stay off. You have to change your lifestyle in a way that is sustainable. If you lose weight in a slow and healthy way, I believe you will have a better chance and maintaining your weightloss because it's done in a way that is not so restrictive that you would give up on it and revert back to your old habits. Anyway, that's my two cents worth. =)
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. I'm not a good example because I have the lap band. I have to eat a lot of protein and my Dr recommended (and dietitian) a low glycemic diet. Due to my diabetes, I have to be very careful about my blood sugar going up so higher protein is the best for me. I can only eat about 1 cup of food at a time and 3 times a day. Sometimes my band is tight in the morning and I just have a protein shake. People who haven't had lap band do not understand this and even some lap band people don't have problems with eating things that I can tolerate totally and vice versa. I am under the care of my PCP and a Bariatric surgeon and his dietitian so I am closely monitored.

We are all different. We like to eat different things. Try to find a diet or way of eating that helps you to lose weight and feel happy. IF I didn't have a lap band, diabetes, food allergies, etc I would definitely eat more carbs (whole grains). Usually a diet that is full of fruits and veggies and whole grains and lean protein is the best bet. Limit processed foods (hard in this day and age) and fried foods and sugar.

Have you thought of seeing a registered Dietitian to help you some? Of course, they all have their own way of seeing things too lol.
  • AlabasterJar68
    Options
    Even if you see these people in person, and it seems like they're doing great, talk to them in 2 or 3 years and see how it's going.

Ultimately they don't matter, though. If your doctor thinks you're doing great, I don't see what the problem is. Don't go looking for problems where none exist :) It's not productive to compare your weight loss to anyone else's as a form of validation or justification of what you're doing.

You're successful. Period. Don't question it until you stop being successful.
    [/quote]

Thank you. This is very helpful to me. I realize that I didn't put on all this excess weight overnight; however I am doing something for my overall health and learning in the process.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on 34lbs, thats awesome! My wife (hootsmamma) and I are doing it slow. It took some time, but we finally found a good eating pattern that allows us to enjoy and still lose. I took my goal weight calories and reduced it by 500 and thats my daily goal. I've been eating that way for a year now and it is working for me. We slowly purged a lot of processed foods fromour pantry and eat more whole, fresh foods. We also went gluten free and that wa huge for us. Everyone is different,s o as everyone has said experimwent. Try a particular way of eating or cut something out for 30 days and see how it affects you, thenm decide what to try next. Good luck and friend us if you need support. Good luck!
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I've had a vertical gastric sleeve and even with us sleevers the diet varies. Some are eating less than 1000 calories a year out. Some like me always eat more because wanted heathy fats in my diet to keep my skin from being baggy. Some won't touch carbs. I do.

You've got to find out what is going to work for you for the rest of your life. My surgery helped me lose enough to start running and have an active life, but I won't be dieting the rest of my life. Why do I want to run? So I can eat more. I don't want to give up the joy of eating.

Don't dispair!!!!! If keeping a healthy weight was easy for all of us or if there was a solution or some magic, Oprah would always be skinny.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I think it is great that there are a lot of different ways to be successful at weight loss. On the other hand, the message boards can be confusing and lots of people think their way is the best.

The site tries to make it simple though, by asking specific questions about you and your lifestyle and then telling you how many calories to eat based on your goals and activity. I followed these guidelines and was successful. This seems like the simplest way to go. If its not working, get opinions in the forums on why not or make small changes until you break your plateau. It sounds like in your case it is working well. The grass is always greener, but if it's working, keep doing it!
  • rmalford
    rmalford Posts: 58
    Options
    I would recommend not polling the average opinion of the forum. The correct answer isn't the average of the group, it is the subset that happens to be correct

Why don't you google a topic and only work with reputable organizations, Mayo and Livestrong are good bets. I suspect you will find everything known and true at the mayo clinic site.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see someone who is burning 1500-3000 calories a day from hours and hours exercise each day, and then leaving these big deficits as well, I think to myself, how do they imagine they are going to sustain that for the rest of their life? It seems to me, a lot of people are only thinking short term, rather than long term. It seems to not be very sensible to me. Better to eat at a sensible deficit, and exercise in a way that is sustainable long term than to go over the top for a few months and then end up giving up, or burning out, and putting it back on again.
  • SheTrucker
    SheTrucker Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel is SO RIGHT! I've lost the same 80 pounds twice already. The way I did it before is to deprive myself and lose extremely fast and then in 2 to 3 years I balloon back up to where I was. I keep gaining back because I can't seem to tell myself no or live without the stuff you're not supposed to have. I'm really excited about this time though because I feel like I'm mature enough to make better choices for my body. My plan is to only eat the calories I have set to reach my goals, not including exercise calories. I feel like that way I will be getting the nutrition my body needs, and I'll still be doing my body good with exercise. Being that successful weight loss is a lifestyle change I want to take an approach that I will be able to maintain for the rest of my life. This time hopefully I can manage to make the calories count and try harder to eat things that fill me up and do the body good. I too am an emotional eater, and that is a hurdle I haven't figured out how to tackle. I've only recently figured out that when I get emotional I reach for the lunchbox and feel like I'm really teaching whoever I'm mad at a lesson. (really?!) I hope you find a way to lose weight that really works for you and you can feel confident in knowing you're doing it right. Sometimes it feels like being unsure about what you're doing is just as dangerous as an unsupervised chocolate cake! :)
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    About the nutritionist, I can't afford one, and my doctor says I am doing a great job, and he has seen great results in my labs since I began losing weight and eating differently.
    Do you have health insurance? If so, check your benefits booklet, or ask the plan administrator about any wellness programs it may cover. I have Blue Cross in NC, and my policy will cover six visits to a nutritionist per year, with no co-pay.

In the meantime, it sounds like your doctor is happy with your progress, and that's a big thing. Focus on the good things that are happening - your labs are looking better, and you have more energy. You didn't put on all the weight at once, and it's not going to come off quickly, either.

I have a lot of weight to lose, too, and I'm encouraged with each pound that comes off. What has helped me the most is loading up on fruit, vegetables and protein - more filling, and keeps me satisfied longer. I've also cut way back on sodium, have cut out sodas entirely, and avoid processed foods whenever I can. I do allow myself some treats if my calorie "budget" allows - a dish of ice cream, a couple of chips, etc. However, I always measure and log it.

Find what works for you, and stick with it. You can do it!
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Having been on this site for a while, there are several common threads.

First, you're correct that there are plenty of people on this site who stick to their 1200 calories/day and swear up and down that they're losing tons of weight and quickly. They say eating back their exercise calories will cause them to gain weight and that because the number on their scale (which unfortunately seems to be the ultimate sign of success or failure) has gone down, even temporarily, then what they're doing MUST be the answer.

Second, you hear just as many people on this site who fall into that group and pop up complain about how their weight loss stalled or how their weight went up. Many people who see the idiocy of the first group, who actually eat back their exercise calories, who know what they're talking about, will inform this group that they're doing more harm than good and need to eat back their exercise calories. Sometimes they learn the error of their ways, other times not.

But the important thing is that we can all understand and relate to you wanting faster results and seeing other people getting them (albeit either temporarily and/or at the expense of their long-term health) can seem discouraging. But remember that the grass is not greener on the other side- just because they're scale is telling them a smaller number, doesn't mean they're any healthier, faster and/or stronger. You also need to make the important distinction that you are on your own journey and what anyone else says or does ultimately should have little to no impact on it.
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DO WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU!
    All these people you are talking of have different bodies and health and diet histories. What may be good for one person may not be good for another. I do think when you do things a bit slower sometimes you get better results. However, it is what is best for you. You lost 30 something pounds so far, you are obviously doing something right. :)
  • SquirrelFish
    Options
    Oohh! I feel exactly the same way! I don't know what to do :S I've tried eating very little and exercising loads, I did actually lose weight, but I found I couldn't keep it up. I'd binge eat later and would ruin everything. I'm trying to take it slow now, and I actually think I'm losing weight just as fast as I did before, but via less extreme methods. Which is probably a good thing :)

Hmmm... I'd probably just try to find whatever works for you. But I'm no expert so I don't know :P
    Good luck though!
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Options
    So, a lot of people have said if someone is over 100 lbs overweight, than they can afford to eat 1200 or less, so basically starving themselves, and it is okay. So, maybe that is what I need to try. I just don't think I can eat 1200 calories. I feel starved if I eat 1500 calories, even if it is all veggies and protein rich foods. I am starting to think I just won't ever be able to do this. Yes, I have lost 34 pounds, but I had lost 40 total, and got stuck eating crap food, because I couldn't afford the healthier foods I had been eating, and had to eat something, and feed my son, so I gained 6 lbs. I am eating the healthier stuff for now, and will be able to eat it more over the next few weeks, though. But, if it considered safe for someone who weighs almost 300 lbs to eat 1200 calories or less, I will give it a go. I just don't know how I will survive, but if I will lose a huge amount of weight, and it is deemed safe because I am so fat, then I guess I will try.
  • SteakGirl
    SteakGirl Posts: 9
    Options
    Yep, there's a lot of confusion for me too. But I've decided I've got to do what's best for me, even if it means the weight will come off slowly. I've been dieting for 6 weeks and have only lost 4 pounds of the 15 I need to lose. That's so frustrating to me! But I'd rather "do it right" and re-learn good eating and exercise habits that last a lifetime than do a fad diet that gets me to lose fast only to regain it quickly. Do what's right (and healthy) for you!
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Options
    I have decided to just start eating 1000-1200 calories, and see how that goes. That seems to be working for so many people, so that is what I will try. If I pass out or feel bad, I am sure I will get over it. It will definitely take some getting used to. But, since everyone is saying that very obese people can safely do it, then I guess I should try. If after a few weeks it doesn't work, I don't know what I will do.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I have decided to just start eating 1000-1200 calories, and see how that goes. That seems to be working for so many people, so that is what I will try. If I pass out or feel bad, I am sure I will get over it. It will definitely take some getting used to. But, since everyone is saying that very obese people can safely do it, then I guess I should try. If after a few weeks it doesn't work, I don't know what I will do.

It's probably not a bad idea to get your doctor's take on this even if his background isn't in nutrition specifically. He may have some experience with patients on low-calorie diets.