Lost and confused

Options
I am new to this diet thing. And I am clueless on how to eat. I do not feel hungry but I eat because I have to. I am stuck at a 14 pound loss and I cannot lose anymore. The more I exercise, the more this site tells me to eat. I took a rest day yesterday to rest my muscles. When I weighed myself this morning I ws up 2 pounds. I do not understand what I am doing wrong. I am also not seeing any N/S victories. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Replies

• patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    okay one day at a time. What types of food are you eating? so let's start, look at your bread, what type is it? What is the very first ingredient of it? Does it say Whole Wheat or enriched flour? What you want it to say is Whole Wheat first, anything else is a processed grain.

Next - what are your snacks like?

What is your carb level? What is your protein level ? Weight gain can be caused by building muscle, muscle weighs more then fat.

Friend me and we can chat more.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    My advice is lose the scale for a while. And don't worry about eating everything this site suggests if you're not hungry. Don't go nuts stressing over numbers and macronutrients. When you are hungry, try to make wise choices.

The most important thing is be patient. It takes a lot of time and patience and the scale lies. Keep on going, you'll get past this.
  • rocandothis1
    rocandothis1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from bread. I was doing whole wheat then I switched to Ezekiel bread. For a snack I try to do a protein bar or shake. I watch my carb intake and base it on what the site says I need. I thought that because I was bigger I would lose more at a decent rate. When I choose not to eat back the calories that i have burned it says that my body is in starvation mode so I find something to eat. I thought that in order to lose I need to burn more than I consume.
  • stormdancer
    stormdancer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yes remember your weight can go up just from it being a certain time of the month, you cannot control that so don't try.

Instead of weighing daily, weigh weekly, and also do measurements weekly. Sometimes your weight may stay the same for two months yet you may lose an inch of boob and a half inch of waist duing those two months. Muscle is more dense than fat, see, so the scale won't show the change but the measuring tape will !
  • rkmanley
    rkmanley Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up for one thing. Now with that being said. Just because you exercise does not mean you have to eat more. The site is telling you that you earned extra calories that you could consume.. but not that you have to consume. I personally have not had the site tell me to eat more unless there was a day I ate less than 1200 calories, and then it says that I could be depriving my body and I need to make sure I eat 1200 or more so I am not hurting myself.

I am training to walk 60 miles in August.. trust me, I have a LOT of weight on me. I was very frustrated when I first started training (before I found this site btw) because I saw my weight climbing each week. You have to remember (oh and I know.. you are going to be mad that I tell you this because I was mad when people told it to me) that muscle weighs more than fat. So although you might not be seeing HUGE drops in numbers, you have to realize that you are helping yourself by getting in better shape. The weight loss will come. I am assuming you didn't put the weight on over night, so don't expect it to come off that way either. As I continued to walk each week and my body finally realized I was serious about this weight loss, it realized it needed to start making me happy so I could continue to make it happy, so I started dropping weight.

Personally my goal each day is to be under the calories I am allotted each day, and then just before bed I put in my exercise. By doing this, I am making sure that my exercise is really helping me burn fat and calories, and not convincing me that I should eat more. Does this mean that EVERY day I am 100% under my calories. Nope, there have been some days that my calories have been a little out of whack! I just try to make it once every few weeks instead of several times a week.

I think the beauty of this program is the fact that you can tailor it to suit your needs. I have tried other weight loss programs. They say you can not eat this or that or that you have to eat low fat.. blah blah blah. With this, I don't deprive myself of anything. It has helped me be more aware of what is going into my body, and made me realize what a "good" food choice is. It is obviously not what I have been eating for the past 30 years of life LOL.

Last night I was at a campground with my in-laws. When they pulled out the smores ingredients, yep.. I had 2 of them with 2 more toasted marshmallows to boot. But I knew I was going there last night, so I watched my calories the rest of the day so I knew I could have them.

It is all about choices! YOU CAN DO THIS! Just remember that if you gain for a few weeks, you will eventually see that weight coming down. You are gaining muscle and your body is trying to figure out what is going on. It will start working with you and that muscle that you are building will help you burn even more calories as you move forward.

Stick with it and be honest in your food logging. It is the only way you will get a true feel for what works for you and what doesn't. Have confidence and know there are others like you out there struggling. Keep exercising and eating better.. it will pay off! ~Ro
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat all my carbs. I try to keep it a healthy balance. my problem is I don't get enough protein. I am pre-diabetic, so I am watching the carbs and I try to stay low on them. I also have high blood pressure, and try to keep the sodium low. If I am full I am done eating. I am trying to get my blood sugar under control but doing the things the nutritionist has suggested has my blood sugar running higher then if I do it my way, snack a little every hour or so. so I am still confused on that score.
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    can you open your food diary so I can take a look at it for you.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    Weight gain can be caused by building muscle, muscle weighs more then fat.

1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat, it just takes up a lot less space.

What is your current calorie goal? Do you exercise? If so what do you do, how much, and do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • rocandothis1
    rocandothis1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. At first I was eating low calorie things because I do not know what to do. Then someone said eat how you normally eat just watch your caloric intake. So that I will not gain the weight back later. I do exercise. I do everything from Insanity, biggest loser DVD's, 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels, and walking. I made a commitment to myself to walk 100 miles for the month of June and I have already walked 30 miles. I am new to working out too. I used to do nothing but go to work and come home. I know that the scale fluctuates but I am not seeing a difference in my body or clothes either.
  • Daymia
    Daymia Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am going to guess that you aren't eating enough. You're set at 1470 calories per day and it looked like you often don't eat any exercise calories back. You have to eat to lose! Try checking out this post, ask questions if needed: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map . Feel free to PM me as well.