Crohn's Disease

Options
I was just diagnosed with Crohn's disease after having a really bad 2 month flare-up.

Anyone with Crohn's disease that can give me so advice? I am feeling overwhelemed by all of this.

I love eating and drinking and hate the fact that I have to monitor everything now. Do you keep a food diary? How do you know which foods trigger a flare-up (does it happen instantly, after a couple of hourse, days, etc). Do you sometimes eat the foods that cause flares because you miss them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• kimkim1123
    kimkim1123 Posts: 20
    Options
    My advice would to be to do some research on gluten and consider eliminating it from your diet. It seems that most doctors do not think gluten plays a role in chron's disease, but they very well could be wrong.
  • Cuddlebug12
    Cuddlebug12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My mom has crohns diease (look her up... gamibmw). I know the foods that trigger it are different with everyone. I knew someone with crohns who couldn't eat cheese but my mom loves it.
  • softballerchik1
    softballerchik1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Keep a diary of everything you eat each day. On days you have flare ups you put some kind of symbol or write a note that you had a flare up this day. Then, after a few weeks or a couple flare ups see if you notice any patterns in what you ate. For me, I can't eat seeds. I have flare ups from strawberries, okra, tomatoes, etc. Anything with seeds. My tummy also does not like milk products. However, every person is different so just monitor what you eat and try to discover what causes you to have your flare ups. Good luck!
  • dcazll
    dcazll Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have coltitis, the lesser of the 2 evils, I don't find that any foods flare me up but everybody is different and you will learn what your body can tolerate as you go along. I do avoid foods that make me windy, beans,eggs, fizzy drinks etc.

These are both horrible diseases, I hope you get over this flare soon. Fingers crossed I'll get over mine soon : (
  • cyn4him
    cyn4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My son has Chrons.. so did my mother in law and an aunt. Now, with my son, ( who is 15 ) he realized on his own what food flared him. Like chocolate and any tomato products... and they did test him for Celiac Disease first (allergy to gluten). And it was different things with the other two.
    If you were to log and pay attention to your foods and your bowel activities and such, you will probably realize fairly quickly what patterns emerge.
    Also, as with any auto-immune disorder.... stress sets it off quicker than anything. Take it easy and try to relax.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My advice would to be to do some research on gluten and consider eliminating it from your diet. It seems that most doctors do not think gluten plays a role in chron's disease, but they very well could be wrong.

This is a completely different disease. Good grief.
  • tammisr32
    tammisr32 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had Ulcerative Colitis since I was 21 (probably longer, but not diagnosed until then) ... A food diary is THE BEST way to find out what is triggering your flares. In general, if your not diagnosed with a gluten allergy then gluten will not cause a flare. Alcohol and dairy are my triggers... that doesn't mean that I avoid them completely. I just acknowledge that I probably wont feel that great the next day. I know that Crohns is much worse than UC, as it effects not only the colon, but can effect other organs. I would definately go on a resticted diet for at least a week or longer if your in a flare. Chicken, fish, rice (white only), and cooked veggies. No raw fruit or veggies as they are harder to digest. That being said, I have switched to Almond Milk and have no issues. So, the lactose seems to be the major trigger. Also, I have tried Greek Yogurt, and have no issues with that as well. Unfortunately, it is going to be a life long struggle. It is also very difficult to "diet" or watch what you eat as you have to limit the fruit and raw veggies. I would suggest seeing a allergist as well to make sure you are not allergic to something you eat. You would be amazed at the amount of food allergies which can cause "colitis symptoms". Good luck with everything, and I hope this helped. My thoughts are with you! :flowerforyou:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I don't have Crohn's disease, but I have lived with ulcerative colitis for 35 years. It's pretty much the same, except UC is in the large intestine. I took meds for it for almost 10 years, but the thing that enabled me to quit meds and have very few flare-ups is the fact I quit drinking over 20 years ago. Just one "night out" can cause a flare up that lasts for nearly a month. Fortunately, the food I eat makes no difference. From the beginning, the doctors have tried to talk me into getting a colonectomy, but I would have to be totally disabled by the UC before I would even consider getting my insides all hacked up. I'm retired now, but I was lucky throughout my working life to have jobs where it could be managed although sometimes I was in such pain I just wanted to curl up and die. I know being young and giving up drinking (if it's a good part of your life) can seem so unfair. If you do give it up, you will be thankful. Whenever I think of it, I think "wow, I am so, SO, glad I quit drinking!" Hopefully your hubby/significant other will be supportive and help you find other activities to replace the party scene.

Your answer may not be here, but I hope my story gives you some insight into what you will do in the future.

Good luck!
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I'd be interested in where you are getting this information from. Most doctors don't think gluten plays a part in Crohn's disease because in most cases, it doesn't.

Some foods that have been considered by doctors and consultants to ease symptoms of Crohn's disease, are foods such as white pasta, white bread, white fish. The documentation I have read is unable to say why this is, but in my experience whenever I feel I'm having a bad 'Crohn's day' or when I'm in flare up, these foods are my go to foods and they seem to cause the least problems.

By all means keep a food diary. I have had Crohn's for. 15 years now, and I'm lucky in that the only foods I can't eat are raw peppers and raw onions and nuts. But I know a lot of people with a lot of dietary requirements and I know that different foods can affect people at different times of their treatment, whether or not they've had surgery. I once saw a dietitian (not a nutritionist, in the UK, you only have to be interested in food and nutrition to call yourself a nutritionist) who gave me the very wise advice of not cutting anything from my diet UNTIL I had absolutely decided that it was contributing to my being unwell.
  • becka63
    Options
    I don't have Crohn's disease, but I have lived with ulcerative colitis for 35 years. It's pretty much the same, except UC is in the large intestine. I took meds for it for almost 10 years, but the thing that enabled me to quit meds and have very few flare-ups is the fact I quit drinking over 20 years ago. Just one "night out" can cause a flare up that lasts for nearly a month. Fortunately, the food I eat makes no difference. From the beginning, the doctors have tried to talk me into getting a colonectomy, but it would have to be totally disabled by the UC before I would even consider getting my insides all hacked up. I'm retired now, but I was lucky throughout my working life to have jobs where it could be managed although sometimes I was in such pain I just wanted to curl up and die. I know being young and giving up drinking (if it's a good part of your life) can seem so unfair. If you do give it up, you will be thankful. Whenever I think of it, I think "wow, I am so, SO, glad I quit drinking!" Hopefully your hubby/significant other will be supportive and help you find other activities to replace the party scene.

Your answer may not be here, but I hope my story gives you some insight into what you will do in the future.

Good luck!

Whilst that's great that it worked for you, it may not be the answer, short term or long, for the OP and their Crohn's disease.
  • delilah47
    Options

I believe Crohn's disease is an auto-immune disease, as is ulcerative colitis. Not one of my doctors ever suggested gluten may have anything to do with the disease.
  • fluffyfeathers
    fluffyfeathers Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    don't get too many cat scans ....too much radiation, they can do a mri enterography same images without the rad. exposure
  • becka63
    Options
    http://www.nacc.org.uk/downloads/booklets/FoodAndIBD.pdf

This is a very well reputed and researched document on food and Crohn's / UC.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My fiancé has Crohn's and I have done a TON of research. Unfortunately it is one of those things that has different triggers for everyone. What may bother one person, may not bother the next.

Gluten free is a mis-conception! If you have an intolerance to it that is one thing, but since your body already has a hard time digesting and pulling the nutrients from your food and gluten is in a LOT of food items, you should not cut it out of your diet. I have done a TON of research on that. DO NOT CUT GLUTEN IF YOU DO NOT NEED TO.

One main common denominator is dairy (mainly milk, cream sauces, yogurt, stuff like that), but again it may not affect you.

Just know that you are not alone. It is a lot to deal with, but it does get better as you figure out what your body can and can't handle.

Friend me if you like, support is very helpful in this! Hang in there, it's a life battle, but not a death sentence (although sometimes it may feel like it)
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Go here: http://www.ccfa.org/
    My son has colitis and I know the information from this foundation has helped him a lot.
    also, for sure the food diary, he has issues w/ spicy and acidic items. and he absolutely cannot have lettuce. Everyone's different.
    And do watch the stress, it too can cause a flare up. be sure to get enough sleep as well.
  • cyn4him
    cyn4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I believe Crohn's disease is an auto-immune disease, as is ulcerative colitis. Not one of my doctors ever suggested gluten may have anything to do with the disease.

This is actually why they tested my son for Celiac first.... To make sure it wasn't a gluten allergy.....
    Yes, Crohns is an auto-immune disease.
    My son has inherited it (I have lupus which is another auto-immune, and there are other auto-immunes on both sides of family....) He is fine with most things with gluten. He eats white rice and pasta and cereal and bread. And the only way they bother him is if they include things like red sauces... I am able to cook pretty normal and shop pretty easy without too much stress. Thank god.
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's. Or at least, I did. It's been in remission now for well over 10 years and I'm hoping it will stay gone forever.

My sister had it as well, but hers was a much more severe case, and she developed allergies to almost every medication they tried. She didn't make it. Some combination of drugs caused her already weak heart to fail.

That being said - she and I had completely different triggers and completely different reactions. You will have to just try different foods until you find your triggers. She couldn't eat seeds or nuts or tomatoes - they don't bother me at all. I can't eat popcorn, or corn, or beets, or much fried foods.

One thing I found that did help me (and I wish I had found it sooner, so she could have tried it too) was Rooibos tea. I still drink it when I feel that familiar 'stitch in my side' feeling. I don't know if it will work for you, but there is certainly no harm in trying.
  • shirsch52
    shirsch52 Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't have Crohn's Disease myself, but my Dad has had it since he was 23 (so 36 years) and there are a few things that trigger flare ups for him. Pork is a big one for him - just shows how different it is for everyone. He is also lactose intolerant, which quite a few people with CD are. Taking lactaid has still allowed him to drink milk, eat cheese, etc.

I have another friend who was recently diagnosed, and is keeping a food diary to help him understand what causes flare ups for him. I think that a food diary is of the utmost importance in managing your CD.

Good luck to you OP, and like another PP said, don't stress :)
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Also, what do you like to drink? I know beer is a big no-no with my fiancé, but wine doesn't seem to bother him at all and hard liquor is fine for him in moderation.
  • delilah47
    Options
    I don't have Crohn's disease, but I have lived with ulcerative colitis for 35 years. It's pretty much the same, except UC is in the large intestine. I took meds for it for almost 10 years, but the thing that enabled me to quit meds and have very few flare-ups is the fact I quit drinking over 20 years ago. Just one "night out" can cause a flare up that lasts for nearly a month. Fortunately, the food I eat makes no difference. From the beginning, the doctors have tried to talk me into getting a colonectomy, but it would have to be totally disabled by the UC before I would even consider getting my insides all hacked up. I'm retired now, but I was lucky throughout my working life to have jobs where it could be managed although sometimes I was in such pain I just wanted to curl up and die. I know being young and giving up drinking (if it's a good part of your life) can seem so unfair. If you do give it up, you will be thankful. Whenever I think of it, I think "wow, I am so, SO, glad I quit drinking!" Hopefully your hubby/significant other will be supportive and help you find other activities to replace the party scene.

Good luck!

Whilst that's great that it worked for you, it may not be the answer, short term or long, for the OP and their Crohn's disease.

Geez, I am just relating what worked for me and it may work for someone else as well. I didn't say it would CURE anything. Let people express and opinion, okay? And.. almost every article on alcohol and Crohn's or UC will say alcohol can irritate the intestines and cause symptoms to be worse or initiate a flare up and they advise to limit consumption of alcohol.