Healthy eating at a festival?

Options
Hi guys :)

I'm going to a music festival for 5 days at the beginning of June, and wondered if anyone had any tips on sticking with a healthy diet while there?

I'm planning to take snacks with me into the arena - stuff like cereal bars, nuts, fruit bars, dried fruit, etc. Any other easily portable snacks?

My options for meals are pretty limited to what's available at the food vans - we won't have a portable stove or anything similar to heat food on :/ I'll be avoiding burgers/chips/deep fried food as much as possible. Does anyone have any ideas for what to go for/other things to avoid? Easy meal options that don't require cooking/things that need to be stored in a fridge would also be very welcome if people have any.

Replies

• ily_em
    ily_em Posts: 8
    Options
    bump - I'm interested in this also!
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Maybe kebabs? You could have veggies and a lean protein that way. Easy to eat and walk around. I've seen them at a few day long festivals.

Keep an eye open for middle eastern or greek places. I find those usually the best bet for healthier options.You can skip some of the sauces but stuff like falafel is popular, delicious and better than pizza, fries etc.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bring protein powder to mix into milk (if available) or yogurt etc if they have that at any of the stands. Last stitch you can mix it with water too.
  • LaGordita87
    LaGordita87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Jerky maybe?
  • lungti29
    lungti29 Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm a festival junkie too! I've found that packets of tuna and wheat crackers work really well. I've also picked up the freeze dried meals that I use when I go on camping/hiking trips. They require hot water and are pricey, but keep me eating well. Have fun!
  • cczar
    cczar Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How about rice cakes? Quick oats and cup a soups are always good (the ones that you just add hot water) - you can always just ask one of the vendors for hot water - sure they will oblige. Multi-grain crisp bread is also good. I really like dried mango, but be careful of the sodium. Also, popcorn - lightly salted has the least amount of calories, and it always makes for a great snack when other people are munching on the vendors food.
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just got back from Bonnaroo and beer was the biggest culprit. Other than that it's pretty easy to get by on dry cereals, trail mix, pb&j. Pick up a melon or two and some lean meats and you're set. It's also a good time to make yourself drink lots of water.

I find when I'm moving around all day I'm less likely to crave the 'one big meal' than when I'm sitting at my desk so I was perfectly content snacking my way through the week.
  • cheerocracy
    cheerocracy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump! im going to one in august, have no clue what to eat.
    I agree with maybe taking some snacks, like fruit and homemade cereal bars and lots and lots of water. Maybe also pre-made wraps/sandwiches?
  • Royaltvii
    Royaltvii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    veggie sticks like...Carrots and celery, with a container of peanut butter or dip of some kind.
    cherry tomatoes,
    premixed protein shakes,
    jerky,
    cheese stix,
    nuts, seeds
    fruit,
    granola,
    dry cereal...
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What Festival are you going to?
    i always bring a grill and BBQ some chicken/turkey burgers/ and make some cold salads to eat.
    some hummus and veggies/ some multi grain sandwich thins.

already starting to plan for my festivals this summer for Gathering of the vibes in july!! and Moe Down In august!!
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    ya kabobs or anything charbroiled..eat the burger over a brats or hot dog take off half the bun and order plain add your own condements (know how much), squeeze out as much(if any) fat there is in some napkins. some of the festivals have frozen yogurt too heck its a festival eat and log, lifes too short
  • cheerocracy
    cheerocracy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I actually found a website that contains healthy lunches that you can easily put in a lunchbox. Perhaps these can be useful / give you some ideas?

http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/Littlelunches
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When I last went, we took with us disposable BBQ's and had beans, eggs, noodles, anything that could be cooked in a mess tin and not go off. I also had a stash of cereal bars, dried fruit and pitta bread in my tent. I didn't buy much food from the festival as it was sooooo expensive.
    Although food aside, don't forget your dry shampoo!