A week on the Appalachian Trail

Options
Hi there, um...fitness pals.
A friend and I are thinking of taking a week to ten days near the end of August or beginning of September to hike a section of the Appalachian Trail. Have you any recommendations as to what section(s) may be most desirable, and/or accessible, and/or scenic given the time frame and time of year? We're in New York City, though traveling, for example, to Springer Mountain, GA. is not out of the question. Neither of us has hiked much, but we're both in very good shape. Thanks in advance for any and all replies! I've heard a long hike has the power to change one's perspective, and I look increasingly forward to the challenge.

Replies

• Lkoblara
    Lkoblara Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I suggest doing the northern section (temps will be cooler and less chance of threatening weather since that's kind of close to the beginning of hurricane season) Mount Greylock in Massachusetts is really beautiful.

I've also done the Smoky Mountain trails, which were amazing. Clingman's dome is one of the highest (if not the highest) points along the Appalachian trail.

Camping sites are really easy to come by. Just be sure that you stick to the trails especially without much hiking experience.
  • Eric615
    Eric615 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the response, Lkoblara. I'll look into the Massachusetts and surrounding sections.
    Weather and heat are certainly factors that I hadn't fully considered.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    if you want to do the AT there is a stop in VA called bears den. there is a hostile there. gorgeous views!!!

for something closer to home, you could try the presidential range of the white mountains in NH. i spent a couple weeks hiking through there in my youth. great spot for base camps and day hikes!!!

primitive camping and hiking most definitely change your outlook/ perception on things. i spent my late teens, early 20s doing 2-3 week trips. it was amazing. i can't wait til my kids are old enough for me to take THEM on week plus long trips :-)

HAVE FUN!!!!
  • betterby30
    betterby30 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bill Bryson wrote an amazing book about hiking that trail (A Walk in the Woods). It's an excellent read!
  • Eric615
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas and for sharing your experience, r1ghtpath. Virginia is looking like a pretty safe bet.
  • Eric615
    Options
    The Bill Bryson book definitely stoked my interest in taking up this experience. I'll likely re-read it (it's a quick one)
    before we set off.