Kale Chips

Options
xuashe
xuashe Posts: 46
Get some kale, wash it and dry it very well.
Make sure to separate from stems.
Put it on a cookie sheet in a simple layer and drizzle with olive oil (I just used canola oil instead, no olive oil

Bake until crisp, can take between 15-25 minutes.
Put favorite spices on top.
Amazing with just salt!

Great alternative with chips.

Replies

• BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    When I pull these out of the oven, my grandkids come running like I've just baked cookies! They love them. Especially hot out of the oven. My only complaint is that kale is expensive and it doesn't make much once they shrivel up. But they are a big favorite.
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I've been wondering about kale chips! Will be buying some kale next time I'm out.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, I have been eating Kale nearly every day, im addicted to it. I am making these tonight!
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Love these!!!:) Also....you can do the exact same method to Beet Leaf Leaves also to make Beet Leaf Chips!! I like them even more than the Kale but they are both great:) I think I like the Beet Leafs better because they dont have that aftertaste greenery taste to them, but that being said, I love them both!:) Our family is split lol, out of a family of 5 2 of them say Kale all the way and the other 3 say Beet Leaf all the way LOL I normally make a batch of both and just separate them on a cookie sheet, half Kale and half Beet Leaf:)
  • xuashe
    xuashe Posts: 46
    Options
    I have been looking for an alternative for chips for a long time.
    These are soo good!
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Always wanted to try these!
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Awesome, THANKS...is the consistency of kale why they make good chips?? Spinach is way lighter and thinner...soo just thinking if I could make chips out of spinach? (just because I have them...gonna go get some kale since I am grocery shopping)...APPRECIATE the post!!:flowerforyou:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    We love them just the way you said but with apple cider vinegar on them too, salt and vinegar chips!!
  • bgmomof3boys
    Options
    how hot do you make the oven?
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    been wanting to make these forever!!!! YUM!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    This was something that I thought I would never eat in the past. I love Kale chips now. Even my kids request them to eat.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My mom and I put the ripped up leaves in a container and mix it up with olive oil and Mrs. Dash Salt-free Southwest seasoning. So yummy!
  • CanuckTracy
    CanuckTracy Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to make these too since I see them on people's diaries..thx for sharing... The apple cider vinegar ones sound good too..
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    A friend on here recently gave me a recipe just like this, except it included sweet and reguar potatoes. Haven't tried them yet, but she said they're addictive!

Here's the recipe she provided (sorry Ican't remember who it was so Ican't give her credit!) As you can see, there'also a recipe for a yummy-looking dip at the end.

KALE CHIPS
    Ingredients
    Chips:
    • 3 large kale leaves
    • Olive oil, for drizzling
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 (8-ounce) medium white potatoes, unpeeled
    • 1 (8-ounce) medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled

Mayonnaise:
    • 1 cup mayonnaise
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 a large lemon)
    • 1 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1/2 a large lemon)
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Chips: Put an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    Remove the thick stem from the kale and discard. Cut the leaves into 2 to 3-inch pieces. Put them in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss well. Arrange the kale in a single layer on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until crispy and slightly dark on the edges. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
    Using a mandoline slicer or a sharp knife, slice the white potatoes and the sweet potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices. Put them in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss well. Arrange in a single layer (without overlapping) on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake for 12 minutes. Turn the slices over and continue to bake, checking every 2 minutes until brown and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes longer. Season the chips with salt and pepper, to taste.
    Mayonnaise: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    Transfer all the chips to a large bowl and serve with the mayonnaise.
    Cook's Note 1: Some potato chips will cook faster than others. Remove the chips from the baking sheets as soon as they become brown and crispy.
    Cook's Note 2: The recipe can be doubled or tripled.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I bake mine at 350 for 10 minutes. I couldn't believe I hadn't tried them sooner!
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    We make these all the time too!
  • chicatita
    chicatita Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • jendon7
    jendon7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i roast mine for 20 minutes on 275 degrees. i use a cookie cooling rack on top of the baking sheet so the heat circulates and i don't have to flip them.

i'm not a big fan of veggies, and i'm obsessed with kale chips! i make a big batch several times a week and i eat a ton in a sitting! i'm so glad several of my friends suggested i try these! :)
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Awesome, THANKS...is the consistency of kale why they make good chips?? Spinach is way lighter and thinner...soo just thinking if I could make chips out of spinach? (just because I have them...gonna go get some kale since I am grocery shopping)...APPRECIATE the post!!:flowerforyou:

I have made both and they both are good!
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    What kind of Kale is good for these, because I've tried making them a couple times with the curly kale and the first time they came out too chewy and the second time, the kale flavor was so strong I just didn't like the flavor.

I've heard everyone raving about them, so I just wonder what I'm doing wrong. I'm not all THAT discriminating in my tastes (which is why I am where I am in the first place :laugh: )

Help!