Need Help!! Am I in "starvation mode"?

Options
I apologize in advance because I can get long-winded, but frustrated is beyond an understatement for me right now when it comes to weight loss. I'm so frustrated with this whole idea of calories in vs calories out because I feel like I'm working out and eating healthy and burning a lot, but I'm seeing no results. I'd like some real advice here! I don't know if I'm eating too little or what the heck I'm doing wrong!! All I know is I'd rather live off pizza and pasta if I'm gunna be the same weight for the rest of my life no matter what I do :(.

I'm 23, I was an avid athlete until I left for college. I was never particulary skinny, but I was fit from the constant exercising. I've also always been a big eater and I like a night out on the town (I'm also from WI so beer and cheese are like delicacies around here). Once I was no longer in sports year-round I joined a gym but never had good results, but I kept at it anyway for the heart/other health benefits other than the weight loss.. Last year I quit working out for about 9 months. I was busy working full time and going to school full time (call it lazy if you want, I just kind of fell out of the loop of exercise). I wouldn't say I gained ridiculous amounts of weight or anything, but I still wasn't happy with my body. At the end of December (2011) I started working out again 5-7 days a week after my 9 month break.I wasn't happy with my body, even though it honestly hadn't changed much on my 9-mo gym hiatus. I thought the exercise alone would help me to lose weight/inches almost instantly because I had been so inactive. No such luck. I did cardio 5-7days/week and lifted weights 3 days/week. I was also eating healthy about 75% of the time. Not only did I not lose a lb, I GAINED weight, and didn't lose an inch. I talked w/ my dr. and had my thyroid tested because my mom, grandma, and great grandma had it--everything came back normal. So, even though I was highly discouraged, I chalked it up to "I'm not working out hard enough and I'm not eating healthy enough". Well that was in March. Here I am, halfway through June, and still have yet to lose another lb or inch. I'm so sad and frustrated. I count my calories, I make healthy meals, and I'm eating healthy about 75-80% of the time, I think! I know some of you will say I'm over/under estimating but I really think I'm pretty accurate. I log almost every single day and the days I don't log are usually beacuse I'm out of town for an even and I'm counting it as a "cheat day". Most days I don't even eat all the calories I'm supposed to (apparently 1200 but I actually kicked it up to 1350 bc I keep hearing that 1200 is too low). I don't think I starve myself because I eat 5-7 times/day and I'm never starving, and I try to eat all healthy foods (FF yogurt, hard-boiled eggs w/out yolk, almonds, cashews, lean meat, veggies, fruits, brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc). I don't really have a sweet tooth so desserts/sweets aren't a huge issue for me and if I do want something I usually opt for frozen yogurt or sugar free pudding. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I know we're all different. I don't know if I'm eating too much or too little. All I know is my friend tagged pics of me on facebook from two weeks ago and either I had a horrible choice in outfit or I'm even fatter than I thought I was!! I'm just so discouraged!! Any advice?

Replies

• jmoney34
    jmoney34 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    *BUMP* Sorry, this almost immediately went down to the bottom of the list and I really could use some advice :(
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you opened up your food diary??? My gut feeling is that you're probably not eating enough (1350 cal but working out 5 to 7 days per week?)
  • lauravasseur
    Options
    Sorry, i don't have any advice but I will bump this up for you. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Maybe you are gaining muscle mass and aren't really seeing your body as it actually is? If you are gaining muscle you won't be losing weight per se, but your body should be changing shape.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    *BUMP* Sorry, this almost immediately went down to the bottom of the list and I really could use some advice :(
    I'm not trying to be harsh but in all seriousness, you'd probably get more replies if you broke up your post into a few paragraphs. People don't like reading a big wall of text; my first reaction when I see that is to just close the thread.
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    Well I think it would be pretty hard for you to be in starvation mode since it has been shown to not really exist.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh right now?

It's possible that at the gym you might be putting on muscle, leading to the weight gain, and if you're not burning much fat, then you might stay almost the same size.

Have you taken before pictures to compare to (and after pictures, but you can't do those at the same time ;) ). Also, record your measurements (you can "check in" on MFP). That way you'll know if you are making a difference.

Also, what are you doing at the gym?
  • jmoney34
    Options
    Perhaps if you opened up your food diary??? My gut feeling is that you're probably not eating enough (1350 cal but working out 5 to 7 days per week?)

What do you mean "open up your food diary". I do that every day.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Make your Food Diary "public" so everyone can see it, you will get a better response to your question.

Just an idea, but maybe try some HIIT workouts (high intensity interval training).
  • jmoney34
    Options
    Well I think it would be pretty hard for you to be in starvation mode since it has been shown to not really exist.

How tall are you and how much do you weigh right now?

It's possible that at the gym you might be putting on muscle, leading to the weight gain, and if you're not burning much fat, then you might stay almost the same size.

Have you taken before pictures to compare to (and after pictures, but you can't do those at the same time ;) ). Also, record your measurements (you can "check in" on MFP). That way you'll know if you are making a difference.

Also, what are you doing at the gym?

I'm 5'5" 154lbs. I'd like to get down to 125-130 (I honestly don't care about the #, I moreso care about what I physically look like, but I was down to 130 a few years ago and I was pretty happy). I do legs Mondays, Bis and Tris Tues, and Back, Chest, and Shoulders on Thursdays. For cardio I usually play basketball, walk at about 4.1mph at 10-15incline, or do the crossramp. I also just started a pilates reformer class once a week. No before or after photos. I just know that the exact same clothes I've been wearing fit me exactly the same. I don't notice any more definition. I'm already muscular (I have a lot of fat on top of that muscle), but I keep reading to "lift heavy because girls don't bulk up". Everywhere you turn someone has new "facts" that are the exact opposite of something else you just read. lol
  • jmoney34
    Options
    Make your Food Diary "public" so everyone can see it, you will get a better response to your question.

Just an idea, but maybe try some HIIT workouts (high intensity interval training).

Wasn't even aware that I could do that! Thanks!
  • cali798x
    cali798x Posts: 32
    Options

What do you mean "open up your food diary". I do that every day.

There is a spot in your settings that allows other to view your food diary so they can see what types of food you are eating.

I have seen the same thing myself, and I am frustrated too. I have been tested and it is not showing any thyroid issues as well. I am now thinking it has to do with my body not wanting to process sugar, so I am trying to watch as much sugar as possible. I don't mean a sweet tooth (well I do crave it sometimes) in so much as sugar is in almost everything (yogurt, cereal, bread, fruit, etc.).

Good luck!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you would open your diary you would get more feedback!
  • daniellet01
    Options
    Also, when you had your thyroid checked, what did they check? Generally doctors only check TSH (a regulator) but you should also get the levels of T3 and T4 checked.

Brief: T3 is the hormone that runs your metabolism. More T3 = faster metabolism.
    T4 is the hormone that is changed by your body into T3 to run your metabolism.

I ask because for years I struggled with the same thing. I have hypothyroid but even when my TSH says I'm in balance my T3 levels are extremely low, and I have had multiple tests done thoughout a 24 hour period to even note fluxuations in the T3 and still the same. Just means I kick butt harder in the gym and eat clean all the time to lose :)

Also, 75-80% of eating healthy most of the time is NOT enough! If you eat healthy 90% of the time, then your body can make up for the 10% of junk. Healthy is NOT staying under calories; healthy is eating according to your nutritional needs. I have found that my eating healthy and losing weight is not eating processed sugar, eating a TON of protein, a lot of leafy greens and veggies and having two servings of major carbohydrates a day (1 fruit, 1 sweet potato or oatmeal). Sugar makes me fat, not fat, and I take a ton of fish oils and chose fat over carbs any day.

Hope that helps!
  • serena2114
    Options
    I was a college athlete and recently had to lose the weight I gained post graduation. I did a lot more cardio and intense workouts than what you just listed so maybe that is your issue. I would try high intensity interval training and running. Also with your lifting- in between sets do plyos or cardio bursts for a few minutes. You need to get your heart rate up in between sets so you are in the fat burning zone. I don't think that your workouts are challenging enough for your size and athletic past.
  • Nadvicza
    Nadvicza Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what to tell you, maybe you need to bump your cals back to 1200 per day.... With cals in vs cals out you should be able to stay under 1200 cals. I hit the gym at least 4 times a week, and burn up to 700 to 1000 calories with cardio, that's not including wieghts. And I eat at least 1500 calories per day, but once I'v worked out I have at least 300 to 800 calories to play with. And if I can help it I don't eat after 6pm.... I only have a protien shake following my workout, to replenish my muscles. With this method I have been losing weight steadily so far.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Just for giggles and grins, try cutting your total carbs ( including grains, fruits and veggies!) down to around 100g a day for a week or so.

About 8 years ago I wanted to lose 20 pounds or so, and get into better shape. I joined ww at home and a womens only gym ( sorta like curves) and really hit it hard for like 6 months...and gained 30 pounds! I went to my doctor and told her that I had gained weight AND inches while trying to get healthy. She did blood work and found that I was insulin resistant. She told me to cut my carbs down to about 50g NET per day and come back in 2 months and she would decide if I needed to go on medication. In that 2 months I lost almost 20 pounds AND got pregnant. My insulin levels normalized with the pregnancy and I didnt have to go on medication.

That baby is now 6, and through a series of events I had gained back 70 pounds. I busted my butt in the gym 3-5 days a week and watched my diet. In 3 months I only lost 7 pounds. 5 weeks ago I decided to bite the bullet and go back to my lower carb diet just to see if it would work...the first week I lost 4.8 pounds. Starting the second week I have been losing 1-1.5 pounds a week for a total of 9.8 pounds in 5 weeks 2 days. I have been working out the same, the only thing that changed in that 5 weeks was the way I ate. I am currently eating 1500-1900 calories a day.
  • jmoney34
    Options
    I was a college athlete and recently had to lose the weight I gained post graduation. I did a lot more cardio and intense workouts than what you just listed so maybe that is your issue. I would try high intensity interval training and running. Also with your lifting- in between sets do plyos or cardio bursts for a few minutes. You need to get your heart rate up in between sets so you are in the fat burning zone. I don't think that your workouts are challenging enough for your size and athletic past.

I guess I'm just confused about why intensity should matter if it's all about how many calories you burn? When I'm on the cross ramp I definitely do very high intensity. When I walk at 4.1 on a high incline, I burn 400-450 calories in 30 minutes. That's more than I'd burn by running for 30 minutes straight. This is what bugs me about everything I read about on the internet because I've read to up intensity but I've also read that a calorie burned is a calorie burned so it doesn't matter how you burn it. It's all so frustrating!
  • jmoney34
    Options
    Just for giggles and grins, try cutting your total carbs ( including grains, fruits and veggies!) down to around 100g a day for a week or so.

About 8 years ago I wanted to lose 20 pounds or so, and get into better shape. I joined ww at home and a womens only gym ( sorta like curves) and really hit it hard for like 6 months...and gained 30 pounds! I went to my doctor and told her that I had gained weight AND inches while trying to get healthy. She did blood work and found that I was insulin resistant. She told me to cut my carbs down to about 50g NET per day and come back in 2 months and she would decide if I needed to go on medication. In that 2 months I lost almost 20 pounds AND got pregnant. My insulin levels normalized with the pregnancy and I didnt have to go on medication.

That baby is now 6, and through a series of events I had gained back 70 pounds. I busted my butt in the gym 3-5 days a week and watched my diet. In 3 months I only lost 7 pounds. 5 weeks ago I decided to bite the bullet and go back to my lower carb diet just to see if it would work...the first week I lost 4.8 pounds. Starting the second week I have been losing 1-1.5 pounds a week for a total of 9.8 pounds in 5 weeks 2 days. I have been working out the same, the only thing that changed in that 5 weeks was the way I ate. I am currently eating 1500-1900 calories a day.

I've done well on Atkins. It's just not realistic for me to eat less than 30g of carbs EVERY day. lol. Which is why I came back to MFP. Maybe I'll try to limit the carbs to less than 100g.
  • pten0pus
    pten0pus Posts: 25
    Options
    How are you measuring your calories burned? If not with a HRM, then you aren't getting an accurate portrait and may think that you're burning more calories then you are.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I've done well on Atkins. It's just not realistic for me to eat less than 30g of carbs EVERY day. lol. Which is why I came back to MFP. Maybe I'll try to limit the carbs to less than 100g.

Induction is 20g or less. I am not sure that I have ever done induction. This time I have been *aiming* for 50g net, but usually am closer to 75g net. I have pretty much told myself that I am going to keep going until I hit my goal or I stop losing. I'm already seeing major changes--go ahead and look at my pictures. All of them have been taken since the beginning of April.
  • Dixitdominus
    Options
    Hi,

I am pretty much in the same boat. I am 50 but exercise 4-7 times a week (everyday for the last 3) and the change is really minimal. I recently went from 1400 to 1200 and I don't think it has helped at all. The scales and the tape measure do not reward me. All I can say is that I have energy and a nice shape. I feel buoyant. In the end that is better, yeah?

For me there is a tension between persevering and sticking with something that obviously isn't working. I had hoped to lose 6 kg in 6 weeks (I am getting married). My weight zig zags like you would not BELIEVE. 2 weeks to go and what I am not going to do is just say "this is stupid" and go pig out.

I am going to try to avoid carbs for a bit. I have a friend who is doing well eating lots of fat and protein. Like you, I am not tempted by sugary stuff but like my big portions.

Stick with it and am for slow and steady. I am trying to lose in 6 weeks what I put on over 12 months which is pretty dumb really.

Not sure about the starvation mode. All I know is that my metabolism is stuffed from years of dieting and I exercise seems to have nil effect.

Good luck.