Sugar's in everything!

Options
Is it just me? Is anyone else finding it impossible to meet the recommended caloric goals without going over on the sugar? The sugar I'm getting is not coming from unhealthy sources. Fruit, skim milk, vegetables, etc. This is driving me insane!

Replies

• jesspnk4
    jesspnk4 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post regarding this same issue. I never knew there were 5 grams of sugar in a serving of baby carrots! Just like you I am going way over on my sugar but staying within the limits of calories and carbs. I am interested in the responses you get.

Do I limit the amount of fruit I eat (normally 2-3 servings a day)?
    Do I not worry if the sugar is coming from fruit as long as I am within my carb. limits?
  • natalie_bailey
    natalie_bailey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah i go over my sugar everyday, it seems impossible not to. I have decided to ignore it (probably not the best option) but i am still losing weight regardless. Just avoid obvious sugar like adding sugar to cups of tea or cereal. Plus some sugars are healthy sugars i.e in fruit
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Im having the same issue, always over a little or a lot. Its all healthy sugars though so I think Its not as bad. Think solution would be less of those things more proteins. idk, hard to balance it all out. figure if Im losing im doing something right :ohwell:
  • bmcduffie
    bmcduffie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not alone. Someone posted on this subject and said they subtract the good sugars, i.e., fruit and only pay attention to the refined sugars, which are the sugars that should be avoided. Hopefully the good sugars are where the bulk of the sugar calories are coming from. Congrats on your weight loss success!
  • JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this...ive been researching sugar and its making me nuts! Everything I have read contradicts another so I have not found a good answer. Ive decided to cut out all added sugars and limit my fruits to 1 serving per day until I lose a good portion of my weight then im going to slowly reintroduce fruit back into my diet. As far as sugar in milk and healthy yogurts...im not sweating it!!
  • NewtonCrosby
    NewtonCrosby Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yeah I noticed this too. When I first started tracking my sugar intake I would go over ALL the time. I think if it is naturally occurring (fruits, veggies, etc.) you don’t need to worry that much. I just try and watch for sugar from processed foods and added sugars. I still try to keep my sugar in check but if at the end of the day I’m over my limit and I see it was because of that mango I had for dessert, I’m not going to sweat it.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The sugar I'm getting is not coming from unhealthy sources. Fruit, skim milk, vegetables, etc.

Then, unless you are diabetic, why worry?
  • timd50
    timd50 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There's really no difference in how your body consumes sugar from fruits and veggies and added sugars. Its going to be processed as sugar, converted to ATP and used for energy. Eating a ton of fruit isn't actually that great because fruits do have tons of sugars and carbohydrates, but they are healthier than a candy bar. A decent sized orange is maybe 50 calories and will give you some fiber with that sugar compared to a glass of pop that is pure sugar.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I pretty much always go over in sugar...but I'm losing, so right now I don't care.

I'm sure it will be something that I have to watch as I'm getting closer to my goal and trying to be more fit, but right now I'm just focusing on hitting my calorie target
  • vision2012
    vision2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There's really no difference in how your body consumes sugar from fruits and veggies and added sugars. Its going to be processed as sugar, converted to ATP and used for energy.

^^^ Exactly
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I'm over on sugar and salt just about every day. I'm not sweating it because I'm still losing weight. I always heard you should only be worried about sugar if you are diabetic and salt if you have heart problems.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I can count on zero fingers the times I've ever cared about sugar consumption; yet I was still able to lose 40lbs, keep it off for 4 years, and build a body I'm happy with... And yeah I eat a lot of fruit :P
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I go over too. I'm not concerned about it since I don't over eat sweet things. There are lower sugar fruit options you could try switching too.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruit too so I am probably over according to MFP too but I don't care. Fruit is full of antioxidants, fiber, etc. I do not eat processed food or anything with added sugar but I will never care if I go over because of fruit. I'm at goal now so it hasn't hurt...
  • poodlelaise
    poodlelaise Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Diabetics do not always care about sugar either. As others have said, all carbohydrates are processed as sugar by the body. Its just a question of how quickly they are converted.

I count the carbs in every meal. (Not just for the day.) Always. But not sugar.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I go over for the day just on the berries in my breakfast. It bothered me until I had my annual physical and talked to my doctor about it. She pointed out that my triglyceride level was a super low *35* and said to keep eating those berries and just stay away from candy. Note however that I do a lot of cardio...
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on this subject and said they subtract the good sugars, i.e., fruit and only pay attention to the refined sugars, which are the sugars that should be avoided. Hopefully the good sugars are where the bulk of the sugar calories are coming from. Congrats on your weight loss success!
    That's what I do (or maybe you saw a post of mine, lol). Whenever I'm checking in to see how my food is going for the day, I mentally add up the sugars from "whole food"/unprocessed sources, and subtract that from my sugar numbers to see where I'm at with processed sugar. So for example, I ignore sugar from a whole banana or unsweetened yogurt, but I count all the sugar from a banana muffin or flavored yogurt.
    There's really no difference in how your body consumes sugar from fruits and veggies and added sugars. Its going to be processed as sugar, converted to ATP and used for energy. Eating a ton of fruit isn't actually that great because fruits do have tons of sugars and carbohydrates, but they are healthier than a candy bar. A decent sized orange is maybe 50 calories and will give you some fiber with that sugar compared to a glass of pop that is pure sugar.
    That isn't strictly true. Their are different types of sugar (fructose, sucrose, glucose), and they are all processed in slightly different ways. In addition, the other nutrients included with those sugars affect how, and at what speed, the sugar is processed. If all sugar was processed in the exact same way, there wouldn't be any difference between cane sugar and high fructose corn syrup. But there IS a difference in how those substances are processed in the body, and there is also a difference in how a piece of cake and a cup of blueberries is processed. Is it a HUGE difference? No, if course not, but I believe it IS a significant difference. And in my opinion, even more important than the biological difference, is the psychological difference. I know I'm far from the only person who can easily eat a single portion of fruit, but find if very difficult to stick to a single portion of cake.