overheard in the breakroom

Options
I sit next to the break room I hear a lot of awesome things. There's a person in my office that is currently on the Paleo diet. Good for them! I personally don't get it and doing what I am doing works for me so I don't judge other people's methods of weight loss/maintenance/all around trying to look awesome.

They like to make Paleo sound like a revolution in the way we are supposed to eat.

Today they said "calories are bull(poop), our bodies aren't furnaces"

I laughed, just thought it was funny. I wanted to point out my weightloss and that of my MFP friends using calories as our jumping off point but it would just go in one ear and out the other.

He also said he could take Jillian Michaels...Now that was extra funny.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. Of course our bodies are a bit more complicated than furnaces, but if he doesn't think we burn food for fuel, I'd like to know how he thinks it works.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Evidently he's never taken his temperature.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's drunk the kool aid (nothing like a true believer)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    She is not amused.

470_2253726.0
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Uh, don't all the enzymatic reactions in our bodies requuire heat?? I think we kinda are furnaces actually. Paleo is fine, but it's clearly not the only way.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    He's not read enough about Paleo then. Paleo is a lifestyle / way of eating NOT a "diet to lose weight". To lose weight to count calories.

There are a million and one reasons I chose the paleo way to eat but to lose weight I count the cals.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Wow, I totally thought that said "overheard in the bedroom." Carry on.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Wow, I totally thought that said "overheard in the bedroom." Carry on.

I read it as bathroom. I was really confused for a while there.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That would give a whole new meaning to the opening sentence: "I sit next to the bathroom I hear a lot of awesome things."
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    She is not amused.
    Hehehe
  • afcgirl
    afcgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes and you will understand where your co-worker is coming from. Taubes' theory (backed by scienctific studies) is that it is not a matter of "calories in, calories out" but instead is more about what you eat (i.e., eat more protein and fat and less bad carbs). BTW Taubes does not promote the Paleo or any other type of diet.

There are many people on these boards who will disagree with Taubes' theory though. I support Taubes' theory based on my experiences.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    That would give a whole new meaning to the opening sentence: "I sit next to the bathroom I hear a lot of awesome things."

Exactly. The first paragraph for me was taken completely out of context.
  • wodforbacon
    Options
    He's not read enough about Paleo then. Paleo is a lifestyle / way of eating NOT a "diet to lose weight". To lose weight to count calories.

There are a million and one reasons I chose the paleo way to eat but to lose weight I count the cals.

^^This

I've been Paleo for quite a while and never counted calories until I joined this site. I don't eat that way to lose weight, I eat that way because it makes me feel better and fuels my workouts and runs and etc. etc.(1000's other reasons)

Most people who follow the Paleo way aren't counting calories and don't care about calories. As long as they feel good and they know they are eating healthy food, they don't care (at least I know I don't).

For me, I joined this site to provide information to other Marines. I am in charge of getting people back into shape after injuries and getting the overweight Marines back within standards so that they don't get kicked out. I want them to see how I eat and allow them to use it as a model, as well as being a way for me to see what they are eating to be able to give suggestions to them. I do not necessarily condone calorie counting, but I think it can be good for some people who do not have a clue...but the goal is to be able to just listen to what your body is telling you and know how and what to eat based on the feedback your body is giving you so...it is possible that what you overheard is someone who eats Paleo and thinks counting calories is a bunch of crap (which in a perfect world it should be a bunch of crap...
    people in the 1950s started getting fat on a widespread basis...ever heard of anyone counting calories in the 1800s???)

Having said that, what people eat are touchy subjects sometimes and I don't like it when people who are Paleo boast about it or try to correct other people, etc. etc. But I am always eager to share any knowledge about Paleo if someone asks me or asks me questions or asks me "why don't you eat pizza, or why do you eat obscene amounts of bacon, lol"

So that guy was probably a douche anyway IMO.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    A review of journalist Gary Taubes' "science" by someone with masters in both nutrition and exercise science.

http://weightology.net/?p=265
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    i'd like to have the opportunity to take Jillian. over and over.
  • CrayCat
    CrayCat Posts: 5
    Options
    Guys, guys, isn't Jillian a lesbian? With a girlfriend and everything??

Sorry to burst your bubble!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Guys, guys, isn't Jillian a lesbian? With a girlfriend and everything??

Sorry to burst your bubble!
    right because otherwise i totally had a chance.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes and you will understand where your co-worker is coming from. Taubes' theory (backed by scienctific studies) is that it is not a matter of "calories in, calories out" but instead is more about what you eat (i.e., eat more protein and fat and less bad carbs). BTW Taubes does not promote the Paleo or any other type of diet.

There are many people on these boards who will disagree with Taubes' theory though. I support Taubes' theory based on my experiences.

Taubes is on my bad doctor list. He over-interprets, over-extrapolates, preaches his doctrine as if it were fact... and... I'm just not impressed by the guy. I imagine he believes what he preaches, but it seems to me like he saw a niche and decided to jump in and make some money.

His 'scientific studies' can be matched by other 'scientific studies' that challenge his hypothesis, by the way.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    right because otherwise i totally had a chance.

Believe in yourself! :tongue: Jillian wishes she had a chance with you...
  • ANB22
    ANB22 Posts: 64
    Options

LOL FABULOUS!!!!