Pregnant and overweight

Options
I'm almost 5 months pregnant and i just joined my fitness pal and apparently i eat 900-1200 calories a day but the site says i need 2030. I never realized i ate a low amount of calories (ive been eating this way long before i became pregnant again). I have my next app in 2 weeks should i continue eating 900-1200 a day until i ask her about it or should i eat more til then?

Replies

• d4rkn3ss06
    d4rkn3ss06 Posts: 57
    Options
    eating under 1200 a day is WAY too low!!! specially if your pregnant!!! your body by itself needs 1200 a day that is only if your doing nothing all day but laying in bed! now you have another person inside you so you need to eat more for you and the baby! Eat more and when your appointment comes ask your doctor to help you set up a healthy eating plan for a pregnant person. Good luck and just remember to stay healthy for you and your baby! :)
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I would definitely eat more until you have a chance to talk to your doctor. They will know what's best for you, but it's not healthy to eat that little, especially when pregnant.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    yeah I heard if youre carrying a baby you should be eating 300 more calories than you would normally feed yourself, so at minimum it should be 1500.
  • tweakz20
    tweakz20 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When you're pregnant isn't the time to be dieting.. Make sure you're getting all the essential nutrients and proteins for your growing baby. Also, it's very common to underestimate your caloric intake, if you want an accurate measurement make sure you are including ALL foods throughout the day and you've selected the correct serving size (for example, it may have a serving size as 1/3rd of a bag when you ate the whole bag).
    If it is all correct, you should be consuming more than that. Some say 1200 is the minimum amount to avoid starvation. You definitely don't want to be in a starvation mode while pregnant.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    eat more until then please. then talk to the doctor about it. 2030 sounds good, it is possible you can eat more. you can still lose weight during pregnancy, I have known many women who have delivered healthy babies and lost weight - BUT always put nutrition and health of yourself and your child before concern about how many calories you are eating.

I understand if you are used to eating so few calories it is difficult to try to eat more. You can try to add in more calorie dense foods like cheeses, avocados, peanut butters, and other healthy fats to get lots of calories in a small portion.
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Eat more! You're body is making a human being! Then talk to your doctor about what they suggest for you
    Congrats by the way! Feed your body and that growing baby!
  • jfernandez10
    Options
    When I was pregnant it was really hard for me to eat a lot because everything grossed me out. It was really hard for me to eat over 1200 calories, but for baby's sake I tried to eat more. I aimed to eat about 1500-1900 calories a day becasue I was active. I would recommend increasing your caloric intake sooner rather than later. If it's difficult to eat throughout the day try to eat high caloric, but healthy snacks like almonds, avocado, or fruit smoothies in milk.