Good Shoes for walking/running?

Options
I am NOT rich lol. I'm just looking for a little advice on a good pair of shoes for under $60 bucks. All I own is flip flops and considering I want to go into the navy I don't want to do damage to my body by walking/running in the wrong shoes (that may sound stupid but its an honest fear). Uhm... I have a Walmart, Target, K-Mart, Famous Footwear, and Payless nearby...

And I do kinda have wide feet :(

Replies

• Nia1959
    Nia1959 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi,

Worked with a Personal Trainer last year and she gave me the best recommendation.
    New Balance Running Shoes. They are easier on my knees and ankles and have good support.
    Ordered 9W thru JC Penney. They were on sale for under $50.

Good Luck !!!

Reminds me to go put mine on tonight and walk.
  • nevergoingback2011
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Famous Footwear carries a lot of New Balance shoes, both walkers and running, and I love them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Worked with a Personal Trainer last year and she gave me the best recommendation.
    New Balance Running Shoes. They are easier on my knees and ankles and have good support.
    Ordered 9W thru JC Penney. They were on sale for under $50.

Good Luck !!!

Reminds me to go put mine on tonight and walk.
    New Balance are good for SOME feet (not mine).
    Find someone to look at your running style and your feet. Ask about sales and closeouts.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I really would not consider running without a good shoe. I know the prices are high.I bit the bullet and bought some Asics for$99. I have flat feet and a pronation. I would be in serious pain and may damage something without good shoes. I run 5-7 miles on the treadmill 5-6 days a week.I treat them with special care and only put them on when I run on the treadmill.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I really would not consider running without a good shoe. I know the prices are high.I bit the bullet and bought some Asics for$99. I have flat feet and a pronation. I would be in serious pain and may damage something without good shoes. I run 5-7 miles on the treadmill 5-6 days a week.I treat them with special care and only put them on when I run on the treadmill.

I agree, especially for those of us carrying extra weight. You really need to be evaluated by someone that knows what they're doing and can look at things like your arch and degree of over/under-pronation. Look in the yellow pages or online for a quality athletic shoe store in your area that focuses on runners. I think one of the reasons so many people complain about knee/ankle/shin pain when running is that they have the wrong shoes. Even expensive running shoes on the wrong feet will be problematic. You have to get a shoe that's designed for you.

Is it worth another 30 bucks or so to minimize the pain?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I agree, especially for those of us carrying extra weight. You really need to be evaluated by someone that knows what they're doing and can look at things like your arch and degree of over/under-pronation. Look in the yellow pages or online for a quality athletic shoe store in your area that focuses on runners. I think one of the reasons so many people complain about knee/ankle/shin pain when running is that they have the wrong shoes. Even expensive running shoes on the wrong feet will be problematic. You have to get a shoe that's designed for you.

Is it worth another 30 bucks or so to minimize the pain?
    Good call on the weight. YES. Shoes are important here.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    bumping for later...