healthy food $$$$

Options
kln2010
kln2010 Posts: 28 Member
Why is healthy food so expensive? I'm a broke college kid here and it seems that food that is terrible for you is just so much cheaper than the healthy stuff!

Replies

• crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    depending on where you live, try to find an international market - the produce is crazy cheap and usually pretty fresh (but not organic) and their meats are amazingly cheap and fresh too... You can also find lots of new things to try out because they are catering to people from all over the world.
  • glennaparks
    glennaparks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
  • adidrea
    adidrea Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Based purely on mass, it's perhaps a bit more expensive. BUT, if you look at the amount of nutrition that's in the food, the healthy stuff far outweighs the junk food cost-wise.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Around here, veggies are the cheapest thing you can buy, I would see if you have a farmer's market in your area, for me they are priced way better than grocery or produce stores.
    Things like black beans, tilapia, eggs and chickpeas are also really cheap, all high in protein and easy to prepare.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Yea, a package of 99 cent hot dogs and 99 cent buns and you can eat 5,000 calories for 2 bucks, but buy a couple of apples...

As the season warms up, watch for in season, local produce. Buy frozen veggies, when fresh get expensive. Almost the same nutritional value, but a fraction of the cost. Dried beans are a cheap, healthy food, but require a bit of time to soak and prepare. Buy in bulk, and go in with friends to share large packages of food and split the cost.

It can be done, but takes more effort...but so worth it! Good luck!
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Options
    Is there an Aldi near you? They have good, cheap produce and a line of healthy, low calorie foods called Fit & Active. I also buy frozen veggies. They are usually cheap or on sale.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is, actually. Organic food sometimes is, but healthy food isn't too expensive.
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    The food industry develops the cheapest food it can not what is good for us. This is why obesity is rampant below the poverty line. Packaged foods are either going to be bad for you or expensive.

If you don’t know basic cooking, you’re really screwed. If you can stock some old fashion basics and learn how to make a meal from a piece of meat or beans, a potato/rice, and a little fresh veg, you might have a chance.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Really depends on which kind of healthy foods you are looking at... health food stores tend to be expensive, but outside of that, you can usually find somewhere selling fresh veggies cheap. Eggs are good, wholegrain bread, brown rice is cheap here and goes a long, long way, as well as being filling. As others have said, dried beans, or even the canned beans if you drain them and rinse them before cooking. Some canned vegetables are okay. Baking potatoes are cheap here, not sure about there. And sweet potatoes. Even canned fish is okay if you are careful about which you buy. I think you can eat well on a budget, get yourself a student cookbook or some such, there are some good ones out there.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Why do you say its expensive? Eating like *kitten* I was spending roughly $800 per month (family of 3). Eating healthy for this week alone was only $90. (thats $360 per month).

Take a look at what you're considering healthy...are you talking about organic "health" foods? 90% of the time they are garbage. Eat real food.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think initially healthy food is more expensive because you have to cook from scratch. Getting spices, oils, basics like flour, a big bag of onions, whatever cost $. But the big differences is it lasts longer.

(I'm in school again too and working with first year students in res so I hear you!)

Overall the cost decreases because you don't have to buy big amounts over and over again. You buy a frozen pizza, you need to buy the whole thing over again. If you invest in the initial ingredients you may only have to spend a couple of bucks on fresh veggies for toppings (which you have end up having left overs).

My biggest money saving tip is to get some herb plants and grow your own herbs. I have chives/two kinds of basil/sage/oregano/rosemary/mint and use them with every meal. I bought the plants from a grocery store, leave them in my window, water them when they need it. Low maintenance for sure!