Running shoe opinions?!

Options
I have started running 5-6 days a week in the last month. I mainly either run around a track or around an outdoor path. Usually do 2-4 miles per day. I need opinions on good shoes! I like the new lightweight shoes, like Nike Free. I am a huge Nike fan but I'm open to other brands if they are better!

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I like the Nike free.

BUT

I suggest you go to a reputable shoe store (we have some specialty running shops in my area) and get fitted. It won't cost you anything extra. The right shoe for you is not one that other people really like... It's the shoe that fits your feet, corrects any alignment problems (if you have any), and feels "like wearing a slipper" (as the store rep told me)

I really like my Nike Free Runs but I find I run best wearing the New Balance W880GS I got fitted for.
  • reforberg
    reforberg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I started running 2+ years ago, I started out with Nikes. Last year I started to have knee issues, I made the switch to Sauconys (mine are not stability shoes in any way) and I have not had issues. I love my Sauconys.
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i love my assics but would also reccomend brooks
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Nike *kitten* here, too..at least they send me free shoes to use in return for feedback.
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like the Nike free.

BUT

I suggest you go to a reputable shoe store (we have some specialty running shops in my area) and get fitted. It won't cost you anything extra. The right shoe for you is not one that other people really like... It's the shoe that fits your feet, corrects any alignment problems (if you have any), and feels "like wearing a slipper" (as the store rep told me)

I really like my Nike Free Runs but I find I run best wearing the New Balance W880GS I got fitted for.

totally agree. i found mine by going to a apecialty store called "runners retreat" they watched me walk barefoot and looked for any arch/alignment issues. then they suggested shoes and let me run in them. some places will even record you running so you can see how to improve your form if necessary
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Definitely get to a running store and get properly fitted. It's definitely worth it. Running in the wrong shoes can cause injury after injury and teaches your muscles wrong running form.

I'm a fan of Brooks (they have multiple options out there) - they hold up really well.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I went to a specialty running store and got fitted.
    I was given Brooks Adrenaline. (good shoe; stability)
    I started cross-training in Merrell PaceGloves. (good shoe; minimalist)

Training in the minis changed my stride and strike. so I got fitted again.

I switched to Saucony Kinvara 2. (good shoe; performance neutral - advertised as minimalist, but it's really not)
    I added in the Brooks Launch. (good shoe; being discontinued)

I'm going to try Nike Free soon, simply because I'm curious.
  • lewench
    lewench Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the Nike free.

BUT

She has a fantastic idea!!

Not only will the staff at the specialty running shops be more likely to address your running specific concerns but they usually have a treadmill for you to try out the shoes you are deciding between on. Also look for the specialty shops that have the machines that can tell you what your arches are doing and if your feet are turning inward or outward. Places like Good Feet or here in San Antonio we have Run On .

Good Luck!!
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The nearest specialty shoe store is about an hour drive for me so I guess I need to plan a trip. The shoes I have been wearing are just some Nike running shoes that are a couple years old and have never really been ran in much, but they are giving me blisters on the outside of my big toe. It's not comfortable...
  • okremix
    okremix Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just went to fleet feet on yale across from lafortune park and the fitted me for over pronation. I tried on three pair and I picked the ones that felt like a dream. It was definately worth it!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I love my Sauconys.
    Ditto
  • OSU_Sarah
    OSU_Sarah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah I googled specialty shoe stores in OKC and Tulsa and saw that one. I may have to give it a go soon!

I just went to fleet feet on yale across from lafortune park and the fitted me for over pronation. I tried on three pair and I picked the ones that felt like a dream. It was definately worth it!
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Gotta be a Nike! Not that I run :laugh: but I do wear them for cardio and they're great!!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Forget about anyone's opinions or preferences. Take yourself down to the local running store, and they will help get you into the right pair of shoes for you!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I would go to a running shoe that has employees that run and specialize in selecting shoes that best fit your gate and running style. They will watch you run and jog for a little then they will take some measurements. After that they will suggest a type of shoe that will let you have a comfortable run according to terrain.
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have always been a Nike girl but really rate ASICS - the brand is a real innovator in new shoe technology. However I am about to start running properly and am going to a speciality runner's store where they will film my alignment and pick the best shoe for me. Think it's the best idea.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I've always run in ASICS, but that was after a fitting/consultation at a specialty running store. One thing I found interesting once I became a "serious" runner, is that you usually need a bigger size because you need toe room, especially if you're going to do long runs. I found that when I was fitted properly, I didn't have the same blisters and pains as when I just tried on and bought my own shoes. Also, keep track of how many miles you're putting on your shoes. Ask the sales person how many miles you'll get out of the pair you buy.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

^ This. I can't tell you what's good for YOU particularly, as I don't know your arch, gait, pattern of running.

I am, however, a fellow Nike fan, though I've recently also been turned on to Montrail trail running shoes. I've tried Brooks, Saucony, Asics, and New Balance, but Nikes fit me the best. I love my Nike Pegasus road shoe. They're awesome! :) For the record, I'm a neutral runner with a low arch and a preference for a wider, roomy toe box.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Asics gal here :-) I love my Asics gels!!

I've tried Nike and New Balance.

I may try Brooks but I'm pretty sure my next pair of shoes will be Asics. I am an over pronator so I buy stability shoes.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks Ravenna but also sometimes run short distances on treadmill in my Vibrams to work on running form.