Anyone else do Body Attack?

Options
I don't seem to get as much out of my gym visits as I used to so I decided to enroll in a class. I chose Body Attack and I went to my first class this morning, all I can say is WOW it is intense and I can definitely feel the burn.

Does anyone else go? If so how many calories do you tend to burn and how can I log it on my app?

Have a great weekend all x

Replies

• shareencameron
    Options
    Just a quick wee bump to see if anyone can shed any light? Thanks x
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've personally never logged my Les Mills, sorry - but I have seen people noting it as "circuit training" x 50 minutes.

If you have a heart rate monitor, you can always use that - higher chance of being accurate for you :)

ps. try Body Combat if you want a challenge ;)
  • fitcounselor
    fitcounselor Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just started using something similar - but at home. Never can get to the gym but I think you can approximate with other activities. I use my bodybugg for all of mine. Do you use a monitor of some sort?
  • ooshlet
    ooshlet Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i do body attack and i love it - but i keep getting injured! it can be quite brutal so take it slowly, especially at first.

due to my latest injury i haven't been for a few weeks, but will be back on it soon and trying it out with my new heart rate monitor. if this has any relevance at all i would say it feels the same kind of intensity as a good spin class, which with my HRM burns about 400 cals in 45 mins. i'd be surprised if attack was less.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have that class in my gym too but I haven't been there yet. I'm glad you gave me good feedback, I'll try it one of these days :D
  • uhoh_billy
    Options
    I did one class of Body Attack with my friend, because I don't have a membership to her gym so I could only go once for free. It was intense! I was wearing awful shoes though and I had to keep stopping because my feet were in so much pain (I've gotten new shoes but it doesn't seem to help much) but I burned 561 calories in the 50 minute class.

The woman who leads the class claims that you burn 740 in it, but I think that would be if you did the whole thing right along, at highest intensity. Which I couldn't!! haha.

I'd suggest buying a heart rate monitor, or underestimating your burn if you eat back your exercise calories, just so you don't accidently go over. :)
  • shareencameron
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me folks! I'm off to BA at 6.00 tonight...can't wait :)
  • RachNRoll
    Options
    I followed your advice and went to Body Attack last night, damn that was intense training! you can really feel the burn and energy.
    And right after Body Attack I went to RPM (or Spinning). Today I'm all sore :X

But I would like some advice on what foods to eat before a BA class. Because I had a snack before the class, 2 slices of whole weat bread and a slice of cheese, a banana and kiwi and a liquid yogurt and my stomach started to hurt right after the first 10 minutes of class.
    Maybe I drank too much water? ( 2 litres )

I would like some insight please...what works for you?
  • RachNRoll
    Options
    anyone? :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it wasn't for me, but I logged it as aerobics, high impact.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Not my favourite class either - too noisy, bouncy and fast! And those jumping jacks....ugh!

But I'd log it as high intensity aerobics, It certainly is a huge calorie bruner.

As it's cardio, I'd go for some carbs beforehand to fuel the workout - a piece of toast with some peanut butter, say, or a piece of fruit or handful of raisins.
  • miss_daphnee630
    Options
    I do body attack and love it.
    For me the most important thing for preventing injury is lots of calf stretches! Before, during and after.
    In the mornings, I dont eat before the class, just hop up and go.
    If I am working out during the day I will aim to not eat anything an hour before the class as I find it can make me feel sick, but two hours before I will aim for something lo gi like a piece of grainy toast
  • gigglediva
    gigglediva Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    YES!! I am an Attack instructor and it is my absolute favorite thing to teach! It is always the highlight of my week! I love the music, love the energy, everything about it. As for calorie burn, when I wore my HRM it said I burned about 800 calories. It is possible that talking through it adds extra burn. Lol, it feels that way anyway. When I log it on here I call it high impact aerobics. That's really all it is!

Someone mentioned injury. Pay close attention to your form! Listen to what the instructor is saying, use the options if you need them and ask questions if you have them. Remember, low impact doesn't mean "easy".

Definitely don't eat a meal right before class, always use the bathroom first and wear good shoes! About an hour before class I usually eat a small, but substantial snack. An apple with peanutbutter or maybe greek yogurt and a little granola. Sometimes I just eat a handful of almonds.

For those who don't like Body Attack (it certainly isn't for everyone and that's ok!), there are 10 Les Mills programs total. You should check and see what else your gym offers.
    Happy exercising!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Bump, curious to read later