Vitamins ... I get sick!

Options
I need to take a multi vitamin but I get nauseous every time I take them. I take them on a full stomach and that doesn't help! any suggestions?:huh:

Replies

• nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I need to take a multi vitamin but I get nauseous every time I take them. I take them on a full stomach and that doesn't help! any suggestions?:huh:
  • nik433
    nik433 Posts: 57
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but I always take my multi vitamins before I go to bed.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    I have the same problem. The two multi vitamins that I can take with no bad side effects are:

Trader Joe's High Potency Chewable Multiple Vitamin and Mineral Formula

and

Rainbow Light multi for women.

Good luck!
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Also try Nature Made Chewable Multi vitamins. Generally anything chewable doesn't make me sick, anything in hard pill form does. Good luck finding one that works for you!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I order liquid vitamens from Swanson's Vitamens. I cannot take other vitamens or capsules without getting nauseus after a day or so.
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am not a dietician/neutrician but once an MD told me that eating each of the following each day and you will have most of your vitamins naturally:

1 Banana
    1 Orange
    1 Apple

However, you need to research more and preferrably ask your doctor how to eat your vitamins naturally.
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I had to stop. This included pre-natals, children's chewable and all of the above. Nothing ever worked. You may just be ultra sensitive. The only thing I could/can do is eat a 100 % fortified cereal.
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    My doctor told me to take them right before bed. That helped me to be able to keep down my prenatals when I was pregnant. Hope you find something that works for you. If not, I just wouldn't take them and make sure you eat well balanced meals.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this. I have the same problem.:sick:
  • tekrueger
    tekrueger Posts: 85
    Options
    Typically I can slow 2-3 pills at a time even without water...however, sometimes I'm like you and I feel like I will throw up :frown:

I take vitamins in the morning out of habit (is it better to take them at night???)...and if I take them when I have eaten something, and not just on an empty stomach or only having drank coffee, I am always ok.

Good luck on a solution that works for you :flowerforyou:

Thomas
  • tekrueger
    tekrueger Posts: 85
    Options
    PS since the full stomach business soesn't seem to work for you try taking them perhaps at the same time as a banana; bananas seems to calm my stomach and maybe that will help...

Thomas
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I take them at night too because they make me queazy! or my mom told me what Thomas suggested a banana (good potassium too! lol)

I have to buy some more powedered vitamins for my son because he will not swallow pills or eat a chewable...we've tried them all...so I found a good powder but its for children....when I go to wholefoods today I'll see if they have anything like that for adults....so then you'd just sprinkle it on some cereal (or hide it on some cereal like I have to do for you know who lol) or something!

hugs!
    ali
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    When I was pregnant , the vitamins made me sick, sick, sick, so my dr. told me to take the children's vitamins, made me sick too. My Dr. said it was the iron in the vitamins, so I went to a health food store to get something that was lower in iron. I don't take vitamins now, I feel like I eat clean/healthy enough that whatever I am lacking I can take in supplements. I take fish oil and calcium, a few others too.
  • Tgeorge
    Tgeorge Posts: 49
    Options
    You can try to take two children's vitamins instead,. take them before you go to sleep with just a little milk.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Childrens vitamins may work. Also, if you go to a health store like GNC they have liquid vitamins - they taste terrible (usually) but they tend to be gentler on your stomach. They also tend to have more good stuff in them.
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I take the GNC Women's Mega's and as long as I take them immediately after eating, I don't have any problems.

I think you need to compare all the vitamins you have tried so far and identify the common ingredients to see exactly what it is that is making you nauseous.

It might be that you may have to buy your vits individually and in compounds...make sure you get the ones that say chelated as they are easier to digest.
  • nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thanks I am going to try the chewables! thanks guys
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I had to stop. This included pre-natals, children's chewable and all of the above. Nothing ever worked. You may just be ultra sensitive. The only thing I could/can do is eat a 100 % fortified cereal.
    I second that. If you struggle with vitamins, then try having a bowl of Total cereal everyday. 3/4 cup of original Total plus 1/2 cup skim milk is about 150 calories and you load up on almost all of your vitmins and minerals, without an upset stomach.
    And with a healthy diet consisting of fuits and veggies, (more color and darker often means higher nutritional value) color you should be good to go.
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I TAKE TWO CHILDREN'S CHEWABLES PER DAY (not at the same time). I ALSO TAKE THE CITRATE CHEWABLES (1500g) FOR CALCIUM; ONE VITAMIN C; ONE VITAMIN D.:wink:

JOY
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I take my vitamins before bedtime and I've never had an issue with them. Maybe you could try doing that and see how it works out.