Brown Rice?

Options
Is there any brand of brown rice that is good? I just don't seem to
like the taste or texture of it so i dont eat it, i prefer jasmine rice, is
that okay?

Replies

• leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I like Lundberg- Brown Basmati. It smells like fresh popcorn when its cooking.
  • Shelley130
    Options
    I eat "Riceland" brand but when I make it I use half water and half chicken stock. Adds a few cals and a little sodium but tastes much better :smile:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I like Lundberg- Brown Basmati. It smells like fresh popcorn when its cooking.

Me Too!!!!!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Is there any brand of brown rice that is good? I just don't seem to
    like the taste or texture of it so i dont eat it, i prefer jasmine rice, is
    that okay?

I just use Uncle Ben's, brown rice is pretty much brown rice no matter the brand. Its usually pretty bland but some kinds I've gotten have kind of a nutty flavour, I usually cook mine in chicken or beef broth so thats what it tastes like. Jasmine rice comes in a brown & a white but I'm guessing you mean the longer grain white variety, nutritionally there's not a huge difference

1 cup Brown medium grain (like Uncle Ben's): 218 calories, 2 grams of fat, 46 grams of carbs, 4 grams fiber & 5 grams of protein

1 cup White long grain (basically what jasmine rice is): 205 calories, >1 gram fat, 45 grams carbs, 1 gram of fiber and 4 grams protein

so the jasmine will have a little less of everything (except irong, 11% vs 6% in the brown)
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    there is a huge difference between white and brown rice and the way your body metabolizes it. White rice almost instantly becomes sugar, while brown rice is a complex carb that is great for fueling your body. Not to mention brown rice is full of fiber and will keep you full for a long time, you will be hungry in no time w/ white rice
  • Super_mom
    Options
    thanks guys, i'll try several more brands and see if i can fathom the taste.
    i have tried uncle bens and success i dont like either, i'll try brown basmati
    or jasmine and see what happens
  • jlefton1212
    jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Near East has a brown rice pilaf that is pretty delicious. I love brown rice and much prefer it to white rice now, but that wasn't always the case. I think the flavor will grown on you in time. It's great that you are trying different types.
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to eat either brown rice or jasmine. I buy the brown minute rice in the individual containers. It comes 4 to the pack.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use brown basmati. Using part broth for part of the water sounds like a great idea.

I also grind brown rice into flour along with several other grains to use in my multigrain bread. I have learned that when grains are in combination they act with synergy and have a greater impact on health than when eaten alone.:flowerforyou:
  • stephica
    stephica Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like the uncle bens brown rice. Yum!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    If you want to try something new, you might want to give Quinoa a whirl. Does cost more, but it is more nutritious than brown rice and you might like the taste a little better. I just made some for the first time the other night and really liked it. But then again, I love brown rice, too.
  • mommabug
    mommabug Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the fast and easy Uncle Bens or Minute Rice. When I want to give it more flavor I add a little bit of soy sauce. Mmmmm brown rice w/soy sauce and broccoli - that is one of my favorites.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    medium grain brown rice is more nutty and has more flavor as far as i'm concerned...i'm not a huge fan of long grain brown rice.

That's just me.