Getting Fed Up! Nothing seems to work!

Options
Ok, I have been trying to lose weight...in the last four/five years I have gained about 60lbs. I had two emergency C-Sections, Chemo for Hodgkins Lymphoma, emergency gall bladder removal, and my tubes tied after three misscarriages. While my husband was deployed I managed to go from 250 to 200, then I get put on some new meds after he gets home by my therapist and I have gained 40lbs in 4 MONTHS! I work out, I follow the special K diat, and I cook most of our meals. Do I always eat "healthy" no, I like sweats and sugar and caffine, and I am from the south so you know we love our fried foods, BUT it has been VERY cut back. BUT I can not lose weight...I can not lose inches...I am hating myself for it. I don't know what else to do, I don't want to try supplements but what else is there...It took me a year to get to 200 lbs and only 4 months to get back to 240...I don't get it. Anyone else had problems like this?

Replies

• RoboESP
    RoboESP Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi edjoyce13. I'm in the opposite category as you. I am a male trying to gain weight. Id like to be 20lbs heavier. Ive tried for close to 5 years now. So many different approaches using my own educational knowledge. I believe the only way to find what works for you and your body type is to try different things. Now to address your situation....I'm not familiar with the special K diet, however from the sounds of your weight loss/gain trend, it seems like your "yo-yo" ing. Which means what it sounds like. Your weight is going up and down. Now there are a couple of reasons why this happens. When we limit the nutrients entering our body, our body "steals" calorie energy from our stored reserves. These reserves consist mainly of fat and muscle. So when you take in few calories our body takes from our fat and muscle tissue to meet our energy demands. Now you might think this is what you want, as you will be losing weight. However, your body will generally take from your muscle tissue (including your heart muscle) for readily than your fat stores. the ratio is 60/40 fat to muscle. So when we maintain this diet state for a length of time, at the end we are left with a smaller and lighter version of our previous body. Even worse is our body has lost muscle mass making your metabolism come to a crawl. Metabolism is your body's rate of eating up energy (calories). Muscle is highly metabolic where as fat and bone is virtually not metabolic at all. So now you've successfully "programmed" your body to put on weight, and fast! Solution: Do not deprive your body of nutrients and energy. Instead eat a healthy and balanced diet with emphasis on green vegetables, fruits (berries!), and lean protein. Still eat some fat and carbohydrates though, just not as much. For the most important part...you need to exercise. Not just cardio exercise either. You want to lift weights and build muscle. Because remember: Muscle is metabolically active. Muscle is what burns calories and eats fat. For an example, Micheal Phelps the Olympic swimmer, eats upwards of 8000 calories a day including insane amounts of fats and carbohydrates. My final tip is this.....you need to stick with it and honestly exercise is the key. People tend to gravitate towards dieting because it is "easier" than exercising. But the truth is, exercise is absolutely the key. In your case where you have a history in the medical department, I recommend proceeding with caution when it comes to exercise, or consult a doctor. You'll get there eventually. I recommend checking out www.exercisetemple.com. They have free eBooks and some free information that might help. And don't be afraid of nutritional (vitamins, minerals, protein) supplements. They are very good for you!!!
  • RoboESP
    Options
    sorry 60/40 muscle to fat ratio. more muscle is burned.
  • DonnaCW
    DonnaCW Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am NOT an expert, but I have been doing Weight Watchers for years and learned a few things. These things you already may be doing, but here goes;

1) up your veggies and fruits. Lower your carbs and when you do eat carbs , eat complex carbs. (Rice, oatmeal.)
    2) Drink lots of water
    3) Have calcium every day (there is something in the calcium that makes you lose weight. I eat yogurt)
    4) Limit sweets and soda to bare minimum
    5) Take a multi-vitamin every day.
    6) Eat your required calorie intake every day, eating less will cause your body to store calories instead of burn them.

Start there, and If I think of anything else I will let ya know! Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • beeceezee
    beeceezee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration.
    Have you had your thyroid checked.
    If it's underactive you can gain weight rapidly.

Hope this helps.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Ok, I have been trying to lose weight...in the last four/five years I have gained about 60lbs. I had two emergency C-Sections, Chemo for Hodgkins Lymphoma, emergency gall bladder removal, and my tubes tied after three misscarriages. While my husband was deployed I managed to go from 250 to 200, then I get put on some new meds after he gets home by my therapist and I have gained 40lbs in 4 MONTHS! I work out, I follow the special K diat, and I cook most of our meals. Do I always eat "healthy" no, I like sweats and sugar and caffine, and I am from the south so you know we love our fried foods, BUT it has been VERY cut back. BUT I can not lose weight...I can not lose inches...I am hating myself for it. I don't know what else to do, I don't want to try supplements but what else is there...It took me a year to get to 200 lbs and only 4 months to get back to 240...I don't get it. Anyone else had problems like this?
    Hey by any chance is ur new med a form of anti depressant? Those can make u gain weight like crazy
  • Barblajo
    Barblajo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Listen to his advise! He's right. When I was young I 'dieted' myself into morbid obesity with yo-yo dieting. All the pounds I ever lost came back bringing 'friends'. Now that I'm elderly I'm finally learning to eat right and the result is I'm feeling better and losing weight. I've only been on MFP 2 months but I've lost 8 pound and am much more active than I ever thought possible. I'm NOT DIETING, I'm learning to eat & build strength & muscle. Good luck and never give up!
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Check with your therapist to see if there is another medication you can take. Don't stop taking what you are on, but definitely speak with your doctor about this.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You're body has been through hell and back the last few years. Maybe it just needs a break. Talk to you dr about possibly changing meds. You may need to find your maintenance number and eat healthy, nourishing things for a while. I'm not saying cut anything out, just put the emphasis on the good stuff.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    You've had a rough time. Don't beat yourself up. It's not time to turn to supplements.

Most of us grossly underestimate our calorie intake. Start tracking every bite and see if your calorie intake is as low as you think it is, if you're not already. Those fried food meals add up QUICKLY. It's really tough to log a deficit day after day. a few fried meals and POOF a whole week of deficit eating can be out the window. It sucks to look at it all mathematically but you can then make informed decisions. I don't want to know the calories in pizza and beer, but it's better I face the math. Now a slice of pizza or a beer taste terrific but I know I can't have 3 of each and not gain weight. But it's better than "all or nothing". Don't try to never eat your favorite foods. Just eat less of them, less frequently. Much less. ; )
  • RoboESP
    Options
    Be careful with the word "deficit" though. Deficits should be attained through proper diet (which means eating enough food to gain all the nutrients your body needs including fats and carbohydrates) and exercise. Remember, there is no two ways about it, you need to exercise, exercise, exercise. Safely.
  • edjoyce13
    edjoyce13 Posts: 9
    Options
    wow thanks, this is actually helpful I appreciate it.. All the info you guys gave was great. Yea I am on meds for anxiaty, depression and PTSD....I am going to talk to my PCP about it and see about getting thyroid checked (it runs in the family). I know a lot of what has gone on over the last few years has taken it's toll on me and I am only 24....luckily my husband is supportive and loves me no matter what but understands that i don't like myself this heavy so he is helping me with workouts. I like the special K "diet" b/c it makes me eat more protien and eat more frequently and it has a variaty of stuff, I then cook an actual meal at night for the family. Thank you guys for all the great feedback, it actually helped me. I know some of it is in my head as well and I just need to deal with it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you want real results, i think you have to go all in. Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but there is no shortcut here. You may need to eliminate ENTIRELY the fried foods, processed foods, etc.

Check out a book by a guy from Texas named "The Engine 2 Diet" It has a 28 day program, including menus.
  • beeceezee
    beeceezee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You're body has been through hell and back the last few years. Maybe it just needs a break. Talk to you dr about possibly changing meds. You may need to find your maintenance number and eat healthy, nourishing things for a while. I'm not saying cut anything out, just put the emphasis on the good stuff.

I am no fitness expert (obviously lol), but I agree with what this poster said.
    Take some time and give your body what it needs, a rest.
    Nourish your body with some good fruits and veggies and a well rounded diet along with some walking.
    You have been through a lot and stress can reek havoc on a body.
    Taking tender loving care of yourself along with a thyroid check sounds like the route to go.

Good luck again!