Will Power...where can I buy some?

Options
Good morning everyone. SO here is my problem, I am weak. I was somehow born without a shred of will power. I should be on carnival display with the bearded lady and the tiny man...."Come see the amazing-willpower-less-lady!" The crowd cheers, some people sneer, most are amazed and you hear their whispers, "Wow, I've never seen anything like that before...Honey, you have to see this."

I have only like twenty pounds to loose, thirty for perfection. It;s not that bad right? So how is it I can want to loose weight so bad while at the same time want the opposite equally bad, (meaning eating anything I want and never exercising?)

I want to loose weight, I want to be comfortable in my skin. I know the right things to eat and the right things to do. So where does this disconnect come in?

I can manage a week of will power. One week of "this is my new life, I love this, this isn't so bad." Then I fall on my face straight into a cake. Well not actually cake, I'm not that big a fan...cookies, doritos, deep fried anything and ice cream are more likely culprits.

So I guess what my question is...How do I muster the troops? How do I stay motivated? What works for you?

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I watch this every week. Watch this and ask yourself, "How bad do you want it?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably different for everyone. You sound just like me... I started on MFP in March, but did WW last year and didn't have much success. I don't usually even get through the first week though :blushing: before I started cheating. This time has been different for me. I don't have perfect days all the time, and I eat "bad" foods sometimes, but I've said no to cakes, cookies and ice cream more in the last 3 months than I ever have in MY LIFE! I think being on this site+knowing diabetes is in my future+not wanting my soon-to-be-teenage kids to have to drag around their fat mom+tired of my body breaking down on me is finally enough for me to keep at it.

I look in wonder at the people who can say enough is enough and they change cold turkey... that will never be me. I'm not like that in any aspect of my life. But I'm becoming the kind that more often than not cares about what I put into my body and getting off the couch. It's not an all or nothing deal... saying no to "bad" foods sometimes is better than never saying no...exercising sometimes is better than never. Try to find activities you enjoy. Maybe you like to hula hoop or belly dance and didn't know it!
  • heatherlee33
    heatherlee33 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Alright. I see how you stay motivated watching this. I can feel it, I can feel him. Thank you so much for showing me that. I'm getting on my treadmill right now.
  • SmilinLadybug
    SmilinLadybug Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am the same way!!!! I need help sticking with it! I do very well in the morning and lunch but around 3:00 I can stuff the food in fast enough! I want to lose this weight, but am having problems with my will power. It doesnt help that I am the only one in the house who is trying to lose weight....ARGGGGG.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing that. Very inspirational.
  • fat2fitagain
    fat2fitagain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    “I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it”

"It's not that some people have willpower and some don't. It's that some people are ready to change and others are not."
    - James Gordon

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."
    - Anatole France

It's so different for everyone. Logging onto this site will go a long way to keeping you motivated!!! Focus on your small wins like, I only had 3 pieces of cake or wow I only had 8 beers and improve from there. lol The other thing is to hit the reset button EVERYDAY!! if you screw up hit the reset button and forget what happened and start fresh. That way it helps to take the guilt out of having a bad day. Good luck on your journey!!!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Thinking this is something to do with willpower is where you're going wrong.

Success is about slow, gentle, sustainable habit change and forgiveness to yourself when you slip. Willpower indicates self denial, and all that will get you is a head of binge-steam built up.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It's so different for everyone. Logging onto this site will go a long way to keeping you motivated!!!
    Yes, I think that's the main purpose of MFP I think I could log foods on my own and be okay but logging it every day here and the ability to go back and see the good and bad and the progress is wonderfully motivational. Log everything and be perfectly honest about what you eat. It helps a lot.
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on losing weight I focus on feeling better. When I work out my energy level is so much higher and there is a night and day difference in how I feel. Honestly, I could care less if I lose weight... I just know I will.

Here is my inspiration video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh1yMnrby3w
  • Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    i could have written this myself, if you find some, please share. I have started and fallen off the wagon so many times that I could have reached my goal 5 times over. I've reached 80 days on here and have only lost 11 pounds ( probably less now since I've been recently out of control with eating ) I need to lose 40 for my perfect weight, 30 to be satisfied with my weight and I certainly should have been able to do that in 80 days.. makes me so mad at myself but still doesnt stop me from eating :( Sorry, obviously i'm no help to you, but i will send a friend request :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Sheer willpower runs out...

Dig a little deeper. How bad do you really want to lose the weight? It's gotta be a desire that is lodged there, and doesn't just come & go. Also, how is the rest of your life? Do you manage to get things done in other areas of your life outside of fitness? If so, tap into what you're using to accomplish non-fitness related goals... it's the same.

It's not willpower. It's about choice. Daily choices. And what you REALLY want to happen long term. It's not a quick race.
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Don't set yourself up for Failure..
    surround yourself with the best options!

Instead of missing the food you like...
    find new food that is healthy that you like...
    then you wont' miss the old stuff.

Plain veggies suck...
    So spice them up so they dont' suck!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to have whatever I want as long as I stay in my calorie goal. Don't get me wrong. I occasionally go over, but most of the time I have no trouble staying in my goal.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    What about other aspects of your life?

Is there something you've accomplished somewhere else that makes you proud?

For me, my 16 year old is turning out to be a smart, resourceful, respectful, hard-working young lady.

I'm pretty proud of that.

I got my B.A. degree when I was 40, and I'm finishing up a teaching credential now. I had gallbladder surgery in the middle of my student teaching and I just kept going (only missed 4 days).

I also was in the military, so I do have the experience of having pushed myself physically at one point in time.

This time around, when I stumble, I'm trying to think about those things. If I had will power enough to get through those things, even though I've stumbled along the way, then I can do this, too.
  • emuhawk
    emuhawk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth and that was always my downfall when I tried to make a change to my eating habits. This time I am allowing myself to eat more or less what I want, as long as it's within my calorie budget. I've also found some lower-cal substitutes (thank you Skinny Cow!) that I love and that satisfy my cravings. Try avoiding the 'all or nothing' approach and see if that helps you stay on track!
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Forget about willpower. Relying on pure force of will is unsustainable. NO ONE can do it long term. If someone says otherwise they're full of crap. When you're fighting against something that is too difficult or unpleasant you eventually reach a breaking point or burn out. It doesn't matter how bad you want it or how willing you are to suffer for your cause.

The healthy way to loose weight is to find that sweet spot where you're on a deficit but still eating enough of the right things to be active, energetic, healthy and never ravenous. Replace the idea of willpower with experimentation and patience. Be prepared to reevaluate as your body changes.

The way to transition to a healthier diet is slowly and in stages. Replace unhealthy foods one at a time and give your body and your routine time to adjust to each change. Again experimentation and patience.

Forget about willpower. People refer to it either as a BS excuse or to act superior about an accomplishment that, in reality, wasn't that hard for them.
  • janoonan
    janoonan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”

Willpower is greated - but it only lasts so long - we all lose our passion and drive at some point and have days and weeks where we fall off the wagon.

Maybe what would be best would be for you to start out by looking at what are some small habits that you can change - drinking water instead of soda, as an example. Use a smaller bit of willpower to stick to that for a longer period, until it becomes second nature. Then chose a new habit to reform.
  • mojolo7
    mojolo7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm felt the same way many times over. It's not a long-term or complete solution, but it always helps me to log my calories for the whole day at the beginning on the day (usually after breakfast but before lunch). If I plan my day out and enter what I'm going to eat, how much, and when, I am much better at resisting the "extras". And if I need a "bad" treat or even a "bad" day, I log in my guilty pleasures first, and then plan what I'm going to eat the rest of the day based on the calories I'll have left after my little binge. It helps me stay close to my calorie goal (even when I'm over), and reminds me that for each "extra" I put in my mouth, I'll have to come back and recalculate everything else I can eat that day.

And then I start clean the next day, with a brand new empty diary page...

Good luck! I hope you find whatever it is that will keep you motivated.
  • mellybelly08
    Options

Thanks for sharing that video, it spoke to me and gave me so much motivation
  • mellybelly08
    Options
    Alright. I see how you stay motivated watching this. I can feel it, I can feel him. Thank you so much for showing me that. I'm getting on my treadmill right now.

Exactly what i'm doing now after watching this!