Adding more protein without adding fat and cals too

Options
I am ALWAYS substantially low on protein...
I try to live 50% protein, 30% carbs,and 20% fat... no matter what I eat, I am always lacking protein.

I feel like every way that I can add protein adds fat and calories too!... like my protein shakes, I take on fat and cals with the protein powder plus the milk or I hear of people eating tuna, which I can eat, but usually only on a salad with ranch. ( I eat more dressings that go with salads and aren't loaded with fat and cals, but they wouldn't go with tuna.) I eat eggs, but I usually have 2-3 egg whites mixed with 1 whole egg, again, to avoid too much fat and cals, but then I'm lacking on the protein from the egg?! I'm getting to the point where I feel like I have to have chicken and red meat spinach and protein powder with every meal!

I try to live on this ratio based on P90X. If your going to check out my food diary, let me 1st say, that you need to go back about 2 weeks. lol... (My husband is home on leave from the military and leaving in a week for 9 months, so I haven't fully followed this for the last 2 weeks) I can't follow P90X diet completely because several things on there seem like A. too much food I could NEVER eat without feeling like I was going to barf, and B. I don't eat salmon..and certain things on the diet.

I (usually) try to eat as clean as I can.... follow a generally healthy diet, and cut out as much fast food, or processed things as possible... but it seems like no matter what I eat, or do... I am always WAY short of my protein goals...

Anyway... How do I add more protein, without adding the fat and cals that come along with it?

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Nonfat greek yogurt. 120 cals for 175g, 0 Fat and 18g protein, in the brand i buy at least. It's the least calorie dense thing i could find for a good amout of protein.
  • Lando_pr
    Lando_pr Posts: 36
    Options
    There are some low calorie protein shakes that if taken with water or skim milk could help you. I just drink half the serving for my shake and that keeps me up to date or over my protein goal. I use a GNC Wheybolic 60 or something like that. Half a serving is 30 grams of protein with just 140 calories or so. Hope this helps
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Plain Greek yogurt. I like Fage Plain 0% fat. I put a little vanilla and stevia sweetener in it , and put it on top of a bowl of berries. The greek fruit yogurts are loaded with sugar, up to 20 grams, which is more than in a serving of ice cream.

I also use egg whites like you do, 1 egg yolk added to 3 whites.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Took a quick gander at your diary and I think you'd be better off with more fat/carbs. 50% protein, for your level of intake, is overkill IMHO.
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    looking for the same ideas myself
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How many g of protein does the program recommend. Protein should not really be based on %ages, but on g per body weight. 50% is very high.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How many g of protein does the program recommend. Protein should not really be based on %ages, but on g per body weight. 50% is very high.

...really high. But, if that's your goal, then so be it. You can get protein powders that are nearly 100% protein. Unsweetened almond milk mixes really well and only has 35 cal/8oz. Lowfat cottage cheese mixed with protein powder will give you a pretty big serving.

Egg beaters might be another option to add to your bag of tricks, since they cook a little more like regular eggs than plain whites, but without fat. I personally think you're throwing away a lot of the nutrition from eggs by eliminating the yolk- but you can do a lot with eggs- you can make quiches with eggs and veggies and low fat cheese and meats of your choice...you can make custards, like pumpkin pie filling with canned pumpkin and egg and stevia. And greek yogurt is amazing. I frequently have meals where I make savory dips with greek yogurt by adding onion and garlic powder, hot sauce, sundried tomatoes, seasoned salt, ranch dressing mix, onion soup mix- anything you can make dips from really can be made with greek yogurt and served with raw veggies.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options

It recommends 50% :(
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Nonfat greek yogurt. 120 cals for 175g, 0 Fat and 18g protein, in the brand i buy at least. It's the least calorie dense thing i could find for a good amout of protein.

That is good! I will have to try it. I hear people talk about it all the time... but I'm a little scared to try it lol
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options

...really high. But, if that's your goal, then so be it. You can get protein powders that are nearly 100% protein. Unsweetened almond milk mixes really well and only has 35 cal/8oz. Lowfat cottage cheese mixed with protein powder will give you a pretty big serving.

Egg beaters might be another option to add to your bag of tricks, since they cook a little more like regular eggs than plain whites, but without fat. I personally think you're throwing away a lot of the nutrition from eggs by eliminating the yolk- but you can do a lot with eggs- you can make quiches with eggs and veggies and low fat cheese and meats of your choice...you can make custards, like pumpkin pie filling with canned pumpkin and egg and stevia. And greek yogurt is amazing. I frequently have meals where I make savory dips with greek yogurt by adding onion and garlic powder, hot sauce, sundried tomatoes, seasoned salt, ranch dressing mix, onion soup mix- anything you can make dips from really can be made with greek yogurt and served with raw veggies.

I didn't know you could do all that with greek yogurt! I love dip :)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't go for the 50%...I did P90X, and had great results with 40/30/30. Just my .02 worth.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just have some turkey or chicken! Or any kind of non-processed meat! It's pure protein and tastes good.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Try out some of the protein powders out there, there are TONS to choose from. Nearly all of them have just protein and that's it. They're a great way to add protein without adding any fat or carbs. I love Gaspari Myofusion Probiotic protein powder. They make it in a bunch of different flavors and GNC sells it. If you can't find it at GNC, you can order it off of bodybuilding.com.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It recommends 50% :(

Props for sticking with the program. The high protein diet will be very helpful for losing weight and also maintaining your muscle mass while you do it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that protein goal is wayy too high. That much protein serves no usefull function. At most you should be at 2 grams per kilogram of lean body mass and even that is kinda high but would not get you to 50% of calories.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    One more vote for greek yogurt. 6 oz of Fage 0% is only 100 calories. I've gotten to the point where I can eat it plain but if you can't stomach that, a little added honey goes a long way.

Forgot to mention: 18g of protein
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    40% carbs
    30% protein
    30% fat

is said to be ideal for women.

p.s. protein powders, Egg Whites...I add a scoop of MuscleTech protein powder, 1/2 cup of pasteurized egg whites (Egg Whites International) into 8oz of unsweetened vanilla almond milk with my Visalus shake. If you take out the Visalus, it's:

215 calories
    11g carbs
    4g fat
    34g protein
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    A great way to boost protein without too many cals or fat is to make fruit smoothies with a scoop of protein powder added to it. The biggest loser cookbook has some great ones that i make for after workouts. I love their black cherry protein smoothie.