Adding more protein without adding fat and cals too

Options
2»

Replies

• Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    How many g of protein does the program recommend. Protein should not really be based on %ages, but on g per body weight. 50% is very high.

It recommends 50% :(

well, you/we are missing some information here. "50 %" of....your total caloric intake is supposed to be protein? that number could vary wildly. for example, if my total daily calories were 1700, that would mean 850 calories, or 212 grams would have to be protein. Thats OK, if you are on a deliberate strength-training protocol. by the same token, if you are trying to stick to a 1300 calorie a day plan, 600 calories or 150 grams of protein is what you would be aiming for, leaving not much for fats and carbs, both of which are necessary in greater quantities if you are strength-training.
    the previous poster is more correct in basing your macro requirements on lean body mass and activity type and level. Not saying you couldn't plug P90X into that and come up with something suitable. FWIW, I strength train 3 days a week, have an LBM of about 122 pounds, BF% of 17 and I weigh about 144 pounds, give or take. On training days my proein intak is between 149 - 155 grams of protein and my carbs are between 180 - 230, depending on how hungry i am :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that protein goal is wayy too high. That much protein serves no usefull function. At most you should be at 2 grams per kilogram of lean body mass and even that is kinda high but would not get you to 50% of calories.

^^this.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    edit:
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese Ambrosia

2 cups FF cottage cheese
    Sugar-Free Lime gelatin mix (1 box)
    1 cup crushed pineapple
    1 cup drained mandarin oranges
    1 container FF cool whip

Mix all together ... a 1 cup serving is only 193 calories (30g carbs, NO FAT, 13g protein, 1g fiber)

Of course that's based on the stuff in my store and almost all of it is my store-brand stuff, but it should be pretty darn close.
  • darlingkaya
    Options
    eggwhites and chicken : )
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Try out some of the protein powders out there, there are TONS to choose from. Nearly all of them have just protein and that's it. They're a great way to add protein without adding any fat or carbs. I love Gaspari Myofusion Probiotic protein powder. They make it in a bunch of different flavors and GNC sells it. If you can't find it at GNC, you can order it off of bodybuilding.com.

Thank you! I will def check this out. I've been sticking with the same old protein shake lol I need to venture out more!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't go for the 50%...I did P90X, and had great results with 40/30/30. Just my .02 worth.

I appreciate your 2 cents :) lol I am actually thinking of switching it to a 40/30/30.
  • gonnabethinandfit
    gonnabethinandfit Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian so I have a hard time getting massive amounts of protein that are recommended too, I think my goal is 45% or something like that. Why don't you just have more egg whites? All of the protein is in the white, about 6g each and I think around 17 calories.. just eat like 8 of them (or more) instead of 3, they're totally guilt free.. I eat mine with salsa, 15 cals a tbsp. I also chop up some spinach and toss it into my egg white omlette for even more hidden protein, without extra fat + about 15-20 cals a cup I think. Or buy some fat free cottage cheese!!! I buy Nordica and it's 16 grams of protein per 1/2 cup and I think about 100 cals.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I use Iso Pure Zero Carb creamy vanilla whey protein powder with Silk brand unsweetened almond milk and it's awesome.

1.5 cups of almond milk & 1.5 scoops of powder is only 202 calories & 38 g of protein. You can also use So Delicious brand protein plus unsweetened almond milk and ad 1 carb (i think) and up the protein by 7 g for this serving..... so 45 g total protein with that brand of almond milk and probably 215 calories.... a couple of grams of carbs and fats but nothing too major.

Of course, I also eat a whole lot of chicken breast too.... boneless skinless and unseasoned/unprocessed in any way.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Greek-style Yogurt and Cottage Cheese are very versatile while providing good amounts of protein at lower calories. Personally, I buy both Fage Total 0% and Total original (full-fat) varieties for various recipes. With those, you can create some rather delicious yet healthy deserts that will fill you up like a meal.

My breakfast for example is:
    3 Eggland's Best Extra Large Eggs (can replace with Egg Whites to exclude fat)
    1/2 cup Daisy Cottage Cheese
    1/2 cup diced Strawberries
    1/4 diced Ya Pear
    1 teaspoon crushed Hazelnuts
    1/2 teaspoon Saigon Cinnamon
  • bluehenjen
    bluehenjen Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing a high-protein diet for 6 weeks while on a heavy lifting program, and it's really hard to consume 150 g of protein per day! I do really enjoy Jay Robb protein powders (whey and egg protein). I also keep hard boiled eggs and sustainably-caught tuna on hand, and I plan to make several batches of steamed shrimp with Old Bay seasoning.
  • cmatthews8074
    cmatthews8074 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    Just have some turkey or chicken! Or any kind of non-processed meat! It's pure protein and tastes good.

But then you have the fat....
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Shrimp. 6 oz shrimp (I buy the frozen already cooked kind that thaw quickly under warm water) 1 tsp of horseradish and 1 Tbl of ketchup for the cocktail sauce is 185 calories, 5 g carb, 2 g fat and a whopping 36 g protein. Most of the carbs are in the ketchup.

58841349.png
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Lowfat Cottage Cheese
    Lowfat Greek Yogurt

Pretty much any seafood:
    Halibut
    Tilapia
    Bass
    Crab
    Tuna
    Cod
    Shrimp

Gelatin
    Game meat (tends to be lower in fat)
    Egg whites
    Tofu

I've been mixing greek yogurt with protein powder for a "pudding" that works really well. I like the Cottage Cheese Ambrosia recipe!