Great progress? Or too much too quickly?

Options
5/26 - 216lbs
6/13 - 204lbs

Background:

Three weeks ago I hit the scale (which I almost never do) and saw 216. I've never been that heavy, ever. I am 6 foot 1 and used to be about 190 and have hovered around 200-205 for the last 3-4 years.

That day I said no more, gave up the 3-4 sodas I'd drink a day and started counting my calories through MFP. In addition I've been running 3 times a week (total of about 2 miles without about 1-1.5 straight). The results have been super encouraging but in the interest of being healthy I wonder, is this too much too fast? Or am I just burning through this new weight I've put on and should expect it to start becoming harder to lose?

Replies

• Steen_bean
    Steen_bean Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I dont know a whoole heap about weightloss, but I do know that when you start drinking more water you lose that water weight. So I think if your eating the right calories, then you should be fine. (But seriously, I dont know much lol)
    I was 163lbs and within 4 weeks I lost 10lbs. It was all healthy and it was just from drinking more water and cutting out crap food. Iv now been stuck at 140lbs since September and just cant get below it. It gets harder :(
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female?

Either way, that rate of loss is just fine.

When you start off, you lose water weight from increased sodium and carb consumption. Expect fast losses initially.

Make sure you are doing some sort of weight training and keep up what you are doing. Losses are guaranteed.
  • littlecaponey2
    littlecaponey2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Most likely alot of it was water weight. Usually in your first week or two you lose alot of water weight and the scale can move down pretty quick. I don't think it is a large loss in too small amout of time.
  • Krizzo87
    Krizzo87 Posts: 14,186 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing everything right! You're body is probably just in shock from such a drastic(but good) change. I imagine you will start losing at a slower rate as your body gets used to your healthier habits!! Just my 2 cents!!! :)
  • rsmithy89
    Options
    I lost 4 pounds in one week. I know it was just water weight as I have done this before.
  • mseraf713
    mseraf713 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Judging by your height and your quick weight loss, I'm going to assume you're a guy and men typically lose weight quicker than women. (more muscles mean more calories burned etc.)

Realistically, yes you're weight loss will slow down and then you'll probably average down to 1 to 2 lbs a week, but in the mean time- as long as you're meeting your nutritional requirements and you feel good, keep up the awesome work!!
  • rsmithy89
    Options
    If you are a guy, the bodybuilding community recommends losing 1.5-2lbs per week. Any more and you risk losing muscle mass along with the fat. Stick at around that and you will be sweet!

As for weight loss: It will slow down when you hit around 15% body fat. At that point, you look good enough to not really care anyways.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Alot of people "lose" alot of lbs in the first few days/weeks. Most of it has to do with water weight.

It is good that you are concerned about losing too quickly, but I would ignore the first two weeks progress and start looking for a trend in the following weeks. If you are losing more than 2 lbs a week at that point, you certainly should readjust your goal. But I bet it will work out.

Good work getting to it and keep it up!
  • longhairpokem
    Options
    Started March 28 th 288
    June 13 th 257

Things have slowed a bit.... Lots of exercise gym and running . Keeping @ 1200 calories.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I lost 13# my first 10 days, it will slow down then you will need to stay patient and just stick to this as a lifestyle NOT a diet!
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    When I first started off I dropped a lot of weight quickly, so I guess it's normal.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Would need to know how many calories you are eating, what you have your weight loss set to, what your protein fat and carbs set at. A lot of people think that fast weight loss is a good thing and brag about how fast they lose the weight but it is important to realize that to big of a deficit can result in unwanted muscle loss and other unhealthy results. There is a reason almost every weight loss program recommends 1 pound per week.

BUT like the others have said even if you have everything set right you can still lose a lot at first and it should slow down to a maintainable level after a while.
  • ak67sd
    ak67sd Posts: 1
    Options
    10lb in just over 2 weeks for me... I was plateau'd for a while, so someone recommended this site, and I recently started... just being more aware of the my calorie intake has helped me break through!! I wouldn't be too worried about too much loss, as long as you are eating healthy and maintaining at least 1200+ calories per day minimum....you are probably closer to 14-1500/day. It might get a little harder to lose closer to your goal, so i believe its better to really hit it hard to start, and take advantage of that shock to the body to lose a big chunk of your target, you'll be at 190 in no time!!! the next goal will be maintenance, and keeping it off!

ak
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I lost a quick 9lbs after I switched my diet. I too had a horrible one. I would drink tons of juice/soda a day. My idea of protein after a workout was a sleeve of cookies with milk. After that first loss it was slow and steady. The first couple come off fast. I'm sure some water weight and some just due to the body going from say 4k to 5k cal a day to 25k a day. Its ok. It will slow down and you should start to lose 1 to 2 a week.
  • ZForce915
    ZForce915 Posts: 23
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the replys so far. I suppose I should have mentioned that I'm male.

It's good to know that this is normal, and for those that have mentioned it I have taken on some weight training as well. I do it after my runs when my body is warm and limber.

I keep my calorie intake at around 1500-1800 with my goal being 1920 (previously 1990). I eat well, I just snack a whole lot less. And I take much more realistic portions. My goal weight is 190.